Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Battery people:

1) So...your typical vehicle battery, at least the AGM ones that are found in the 3.6L JL are subject to voltage drops with temperature, right?

2) And even if you leave your rig on a trickle charge there is only so much that charger can push against the resistance of the battery to accept charge when the thermometer drops??

3) I think I've seen some solar charge controllers with the ability to add temperature gauges that allow adjustments to how much power flows from the solar panel into a battery it charges based on ambient temperature, so maybe there are temperature sensitive trickle chargers?

4) Does the Deltran Battery Tender 3amp effect such accommodations to temperature?

~~~~~~~~

I'd like to run my dash camera in parking mode. When I take my rig to areas where the temperature gets near freezing the battery voltage can read 12.1V even when hooked up to the aforementioned trickle charger. Currently (no pun intended) my dash camera is set to cut off at 12.3V when in parking mode so as to not drain the batteries.

5) Is buying a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery (not a Lithium Ion) for the dash camera a possibly play? (The ones from the dash camera makers are SO expensive.) I hear that they are less sensitive to voltage drops with temperature reduction.

6) Would putting a solar panel on my roof rack, to charge such a lithium iron phosphate battery be a solution?

Thanks.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I could have sworn that I read somewhere on the forum (but can't find it) that MOPAR's hitch wiring kit has changed since its release with the JL, to permit, as an alternative, not snaking the cables from the battery to the hitch, through the cabin, and as an alternative, under the vehicle.

Does anyone have more 411 on that?

Thanks.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Another question...ideally directed at Dealership people...

I know there's a checklist of things dealerships look at before releasing a new JL to its rightful owner/lesee.....

Given I've read about this so many times on the forum, in fact 3 times today, is "checking/pressing down on all the fuses in the PDC" one of those items on the checklist?

It seems like it ought to be.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Another question...ideally directed at Dealership people...

I know there's a checklist of things dealerships look at before releasing a new JL to its rightful owner/lesee.....

Given I've read about this so many times on the forum, in fact 3 times today, is "checking/pressing down on all the fuses in the PDC" one of those items on the checklist?

It seems like it ought to be.
This is my opinion, but I wonder how others feel...

I agree you. However, for the dealers to put this in their checklist, I believe Jeep as a whole would have to accept that this is actually a problem. From the manufacturer and dealer point-of-view, the fuses may all be within spec or installed 'as designed'. It's really only us (forum members) as a user group that has found positive benefits so far from seating the fuses all the way. The same could be said for tire pressure on delivery.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to run some wires from a solar panel on my roof rack's rear section into the interior in back.

Right now, with the hard top on, snaking the 2 wires on either side of the driver's side hinge of the tailgate glass is fine. But come summer, with the soft top on, this won't be possible.

So I was thinking of wrapping those 2 wires down a vertical member of my roof rack, under the rear bumper and up the driver's side tail light compartment

I've seen this done on the passenger's side in OEM hitch wiring videos:

Is it pretty similar on the driver's side...as in

1) removing the cargo floor,
2)removing the trim panel that covers the OEM jack,
3)removing the driver's side taillight by propping off the cover to the plastic bolt that keeps it on, unscrewing this bolt, and yanking out the tailight,
4) removing the cargo floor's driver's side tie down trim panel,
5) removing the driver's side rear trim panel by first removing the panel on top of the driver's side rear safely belt retractor and then removing the entire driver's side rear trim panel by popping it out near the tailgate with a trim tool, and then
6) snaking my solar panel's two cables up through the driver's side taillight housing from below, through the grommet, and having the cable sit just above the place where the reinstalled driver's side rear panel is normally situated....kind of like this video "as seen in a mirror"?

For reasons related to the cargo area power plug being on the driver's side I'd rather work on the driver's than passenger's side, as indicated for the OEM hitch wiring install.

Thanks.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Do you know those badges people put on their Wranglers after having visited trails...?

you know the ones I DON'T have because badges are not earned for "parking on your driveway during COVID," or "car pool dad" (some self deprecating humor, not an insult to off roaders)...

well is there a recognized list of the toughest trails?

Thanks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Thanks.
We have Galleria Way and Nordstrom Court locally.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Do you know those badges people put on their Wranglers after having visited trails...?

you know the ones I DON'T have because badges are not earned for "parking on your driveway during COVID," or "car pool dad" (some self deprecating humor, not an insult to off roaders)...

Thanks.
not necessarily the toughest or even the most fun but here is the recognized list. I would say it is a list of the most popular.

https://www.jeep.com/badge-of-honor.html

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks.
I came mighty close to having to shift out of 2h, to earn this bad boy.
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread FB_IMG_1609464019138

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Mike @Headbarcode: you have...

--not in any way to offend the off roaders who I am not, but respect, and who earned their badges the hard way---

given me some ideas on a whole "new line" of Jeep badges.;)

Off roaders: this is self deprecating humor: I do NOT take issue with you.

"2020 snowstorm going out to pick up wife's prescription"

"Car pool: boy scouts: traveling on one partially paved road to get to campsight"

"Haagen-Daz run 2021"

"Dr Rick How not to become your parents, Progressive Insurance Seminar Attendee"

;)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Question: is there a way to get continual rear camera display in my JL short of acquiring a Z Automotive Tazer product?

Don't get me wrong, this product is awesome, but many of its features and price I could do without.

I appreciate that keeping the camera on is a "live" Tazer function: in other words some software is sending a signal every few seconds, as if the driver continually presses the rear camera button every few seconds, to keep the camera on.

But perhaps it would actually be cheaper to somehow buy my own rear facing camera, additional to the stock one, and, say, configure it with the Jscan app I already own, or maybe some other app, to get constant rear view for times where gear blocks my rear view mirror.

Thanks.

JeepersCreepersJL

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T
Anybody know what bumper this is?
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 20210131_202041

This is the only picture I can find of it, and it's an advertisement for something else

JeepersCreepersJL

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T