QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
Weird question... I notice most people when they take their doors off store them vertically and I'm not sure if this is just because of convenience or if they HAVE to be stored that way because of the power windows or such. I was planning on laying mine down on my queen size guest bed which should prevent them from getting scratched or scuffed up, and also I don't have to worry about them falling over. Is laying them down horizontally like that going to hurt anything?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Weird question... I notice most people when they take their doors off store them vertically and I'm not sure if this is just because of convenience or if they HAVE to be stored that way because of the power windows or such. I was planning on laying mine down on my queen size guest bed which should prevent them from getting scratched or scuffed up, and also I don't have to worry about them falling over. Is laying them down horizontally like that going to hurt anything?
Nope.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Why do you suppose that FCA decided to only allow the rear camera to display an image for a limited amount of time, when someone requests it from and App...as opposed to when the vehicle is in reverse.

For those of us who haul gear that blocks the rear view mirror, I would think that being able to keep the camera on as long as needed, without having to keep on pressing the App button, would be a useful feature.

Was it something of concern to offer from a liability standpoint?

(Yes--I am aware that Z Automotive's products can address this.)

Thanks....

Deleted member 53226

Figured I would help the clutter of these forums with this thread. If you feel like you have a question or discussion that doesn't exactly fit the criteria of an entire thread, feel free to post it here. Cheers.
Oh boy, thank you for this thread. I have a bunch of those. Been too embarrassed to create a thread, but now I feel like this is a safe space, so here goes.

1. What does "Jeep" stand for?

2. What kind of cow do they make the leather steering wheel from?

3. Where does the oil go? Do I pour it through the dipstick oil hole, or is there another oil hole somewhere?

4. Why do people keep waving at me?

5. I tried driving on the highway with the windshield down, and it was very uncomfortable. How do I fix this?

6. Does Mopar sell a trailer as an accessory so I can haul my hardtop with me in case it rains or I start getting a sunburn.

7. What are "lockers"? I have a button on my dash but nothing happens when I press it.

8. Can I use this thing in off-road situations, like a very gravely driveway or steep hill?

9. Why is there an extra tire on the back? I only have four wheels.

10. Help! Why won't the diesel gas pump filler fit in my Jeep's gas hole? I have the 3.6 Pentastar if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I don't like to make waves, but: The drummer, er, cow-bell boy is suffering from parody, sarcasm, or trolling. Not sure which. Need more data...

Help!

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

I don't like to make waves, but: The drummer, er, cow-bell boy is suffering from parody, sarcasm, or trolling. Not sure which. Need more data...

Help!
Thank you for your post. I didn't know until you pointed it out that a person can suffer from parody, sarcasm, or trolling. I might have all three conditions at once, if that is possible. Hopefully my pharmacist or local drug dealer has something I can take for this. But I prefer the drug dealer.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Is it even worth it to be beef up the M186 and M220 in the Sport? I lowkey feel like after adding lockers and regearing for 35s it’ll be close to the cost of a used set of rubi axles. I know it’s about 5k for new rubi axles. But that doesn’t include steering or anything iirc.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Although the front console's cigarette lighter is an accessory only plug--energized when the vehicle is on or in accessory mode, can you plug, say, a solar panel into it to charge the batteries under the hood even when the vehicle is parked?

Rephrased, does FCA allow current to travel in both directions (if not at the same time) through this cigarette plug?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Although the front console's cigarette lighter is an accessory only plug--energized when the vehicle is on or in accessory mode, can you plug, say, a solar panel into it to charge the batteries under the hood even when the vehicle is parked?

Rephrased, does FCA allow current to travel in both directions (if not at the same time) through this cigarette plug?
When charging a battery, its always best to get directly on it. Less parasitic loss, than going through a circuit. And even if that circuit could be back fed, it's open unless energized.

There are battery charge harnesses that get semi permanently attached to the battery and can be routed to an easily accessible spot on the vehicle. It terminates at a waterproof plug that gets connected to your power source. Here's a quick example:
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 51AXM5TyH1L._AC_SY400_

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
... And even if that circuit could be back fed, it's open unless energized.
Thanks Mike for your thoughts..which I agree with. I was just hoping to buy one of those solar charges that sit on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter in the dash, which I concur may result in more loss of current in such a setup than that you propose, but permits movement of the charger among vehicles with greater ease than hard wiring your setup in each of my vehicles.

I took the above sentence from your reply and singled it out because I don't understand it.

..more commentary: I run a dash camera even when parked. While it is set to shut off in this parked mode if the batteries on my 3.6L lose too much voltage, this doesn't happen at home where my JL is plugged into a trickle charger.

...I was looking for a portable charging solution when parked away from home.:)

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Do you have the 12v socket in the back cargo area? Mine has a battery symbol on the cover indicating that it is energized all the time, therefore it would allow charging from the solar panel. I don't think the front one would allow this because it isn't connected to the battery with the Jeep off.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Mike for your thoughts..which I agree with. I was just hoping to buy one of those solar charges that sit on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter in the dash, which I concur may result in more loss of current in such a setup than that you propose, but permits movement of the charger among vehicles with greater ease than hard wiring your setup in each of my vehicles.

I took the above sentence from your reply and singled it out because I don't understand it.

..more commentary: I run a dash camera even when parked. While it is set to shut off in this parked mode if the batteries on my 3.6L lose too much voltage, this doesn't happen at home where my JL is plugged into a trickle charger.

...I was looking for a portable charging solution when parked away from home.:)
Many companies, of varying levels of build quality and cost, offer mini solar panels with leads and alligator style clips that go directly to the battery. Just a simple popping off the hood, and it could be swapped around as needed. The leads are thin enough to fully close the hood without punching them, if routed the right way. If memory serves, the work at their optimum level when not placed behind a solar filtering panel of glass. Although, if out and about, it could get swiped by some DB.

An open circuit is what happens whenever you turn a light switch to the off position. Turn the light on, and you now have a closed circuit.

A switch to electricity is just like a lift bridge to the flow of traffic. When you open the bridge, the traffic flow stops.
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread ''Tower_Bridge_(8151690991)

Lower the bridge or close the circuit, and the traffic and electricity will flow again.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Many companies, of varying levels of build quality and cost, offer mini solar panels with leads and alligator style clips that go directly to the battery. Just a simple popping off the hood, and it could be swapped around as needed. The leads are thin enough to fully close the hood without punching them, if routed the right way. If memory serves, the work at their optimum level when not placed behind a solar filtering panel of glass. Although, if out and about, it could get swiped by some DB.

An open circuit is what happens whenever you turn a light switch to the off position. Turn the light on, and you now have a closed circuit.

A switch to electricity is just like a lift bridge to the flow of traffic. When you open the bridge, the traffic flow stops.
''Tower_Bridge_(8151690991).jpg

Lower the bridge or close the circuit, and the traffic and electricity will flow again.
I truly appreciate your quick and informed reply Mike.

I think the problem is mine, in that I haven't made myself clear.

To point: I appreciate what an open circuit is though thank you for your explanation--not knowing the depth of my knowledge.

As you were so kind to do, you source a pictured reply of an opened, like a circuit, London Bridge, with a break in it: the rising halves of the bridge being a metaphor for a wire with a break in it as well. This I get...as I do the fact that such an open circuit can never be taped for power, nor charged, as a solar panel with a cigarette lighter adapter at the distal end might do.

What I probably should have asked is if the cigarette lighter in the front maintains the ability, say with a diode, to permit the flow of current back to the battery from a power source when neither the engine is cranked, nor the vehicle starter pressed once or twice (the latter with no foot on the brake) to an accessory position.

I'm going to check the wiring diagrams section of the forum to see if any indications of my query are addressed--something I apologize for not doing earlier Mike--returning here if an answer is clear. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-OUTLETS.pdf

I hear you on the solar charger alligator clips solution as I do your thoughts, mine as well that some douche might swipe it were it positioned outside the vehicle, despite what addition degradation to the current such a panel might be able to pick up behind window glass. Of course there's this one from Cascadia4x4, a bit out of my price range (and then some) https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect...8-present-vss-system-80-watt-hood-solar-panel
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 1603382390369

which I'm not sure is safer from theft in its installation, or less so because its value makes theft worth the attempt!!! Perhaps its security lies in most people thinking it not more than a decal.;)

Thank you sir!!! Maybe I need to be less of a lazy bum and simple run wires through the grommet under the glove box, bypassing the cigarette lighter as you originally suggested!!

~~~~~

@Suffolklou Hey Lou: I do have the cigarette lighter in the cargo area. As you point out, it is energized, by factory default, at all times (changeable to accessory status with the flip of a fuse as per the owner's manual). In fact, it is what I source to run the dash camera when the vehicle is parked.

As you may know, dash cams with parking features require access to both an accessory (e.g. cigarette lighter) and battery (aforementioned cargo area cigarette lighter type plug) source so they can determine when the vehicle is cranked or not.

(An aside: I actually tapped the mirror light as my accessory port to make the install cleaner.)

Here's the rub sir. The camera was turning off in parking mode because when I ran the relatively high gauge (i.e. small) wires that came with it from this cargo area plug I lost current as Mike warned earlier, and the threshold for the camera to shut off to conserve battery power was being met.

This was resolved by lowering the gauge (increasing the thickness) of the wire I used to make the trip to the front of the vehicle from this cargo area power source.

Thanks Lou.

Last edited:

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Any chance you have the factory aux switches? If so, there is an always energized wire in the passengers side foot well area that you could probably use as well.
Sponsored