Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Sam's club was refusing to remove the nail on my tire because they claimed bolt torque had changed. Will have to try another. Or do you happen to know if Costco does this work too with the membership?
I know that Costco will balance any tire even if they didn't mount it. They will simply charge you $5 per tire and they will also do a rotation for like $25. In terms of repair I'd say they probably would but it would be best to call them and ask.
I've never heard of torque changing based on rim and tire size, that's a new one to me, wonder where they came up with that idea.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The wheel STUDS for your jeep use M14x1.5 STUDS and the TORQUE REQUIREMENTS for each LUG NUT are 130 ftlbs --no matter what the jeep model/wheel-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The wheel STUDS for your jeep use M14x1.5 STUDS and the TORQUE REQUIREMENTS for each LUG NUT are 130 ftlbs --no matter what the jeep model/wheel-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO
Thanks for the number. I was trying to explain that the torque is actually being applied to the bolt/stud. People think the torque is for the nut but it's actually to stretch the bolt/stud into a state of tension.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. I thought the same thing but this guy at Sams claimed that it was a liability and that he was at his job for 15 years and wasn't going to risk doing any work to it. I was like ok, no worries man. I ended up taking it to my local tire shop for $20. I tried another Sams and they were willing to do it but they claimed that my rim was to wide for their machines. I called Costco and they said they would charge $11.99 but didn't want to go through the hassle again of them saying they couldn't do it last minute.

0278D809-7C4D-4AD6-BAFD-59D4B1B3C7C7.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. I thought the same thing but this guy at Sams claimed that it was a liability and that he was at his job for 15 years and wasn't going to risk doing any work to it. I was like ok, no worries man. I ended up taking it to my local tire shop for $20. I tried another Sams and they were willing to do it but they claimed that my rim was to wide for their machines. I called Costco and they said they would charge $11.99 but didn't want to go through the hassle again of them saying they couldn't do it last minute.

You could have actually repaired that one yourself if you really wanted to :)
That's a very simple fix. Personally I'm staying with Costco, the guys were great, balanced up my 37s and caught the fact that one of the rims was bent and documented it for me.

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
On Reddit some Toyota bro was trying to say that wranglers and gladiators would break down if a wire going to ABS or the locker was unplugged and the ECU would require a reflash at the dealer. This is obviously bullshit but are there times where the ECU can be “bricked”?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
On Reddit some Toyota bro was trying to say that wranglers and gladiators would break down if a wire going to ABS or the locker was unplugged and the ECU would require a reflash at the dealer. This is obviously bullshit but are there times where the ECU can be “bricked”?
I had a 4 Runner that brain farted and locked itself up, unable to shift into gear, in the middle of an intersection. She had to shut it off, remove the key, and sit for about 30 seconds before restarting it and being able to get into gear and drive off. The whole time, angry drivers were honking, cursing, flipping her off, and driving around her. The Toyota dealer, which is a very good one, could not determine why. I liked both of my 4 Runners and have great respect for Toyota. But I drive two Wranglers.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase

Do you not have a discount tire there? Discount tire would have fixed this for free even if you didn’t purchase the tire from them. It builds customer relations and more than likely will return in the future.
Also for them to tell you they couldn’t fix it because of the change in torque value is absurd, be glad you found someone else to do the work.

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Day 11 with my new 2019 Rubicon: while driving at highway speeds I had the occasion to pass a couple of slowpokes today for the first time. In both cases, the HVAC fan speed increased. Like, a lot. Didn't see anything in the owner's manual about this; I can see the radio volume ramping up with speed, but not this. Any thoughts?

Second question- I've seen the horror stories about overfills from the dealer on oil changes with the 3.6. I have the 2.0, and the oil is pretty far up the dipstick past the indicator. It sat on the original dealer lot for close to a year before my local dealer brought it in for me- not sure either would go through the trouble of an oil change without me asking, so I'm guessing it came from the factory this way. Anyone else deal with a factory overfill on the 2.0?

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Second question- I've seen the horror stories about overfills from the dealer on oil changes with the 3.6. I have the 2.0, and the oil is pretty far up the dipstick past the indicator. It sat on the original dealer lot for close to a year before my local dealer brought it in for me- not sure either would go through the trouble of an oil change without me asking, so I'm guessing it came from the factory this way. Anyone else deal with a factory overfill on the 2.0?
I can't speak for the Wrangler as I have the 3.6, but my last vehicle had direct injection and for the first few thousand miles the oil was always over filled due to fuel dilution. It came from the factory overfilled. Once the engine is broken in properly, the problem goes away.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Day 11 with my new 2019 Rubicon: while driving at highway speeds I had the occasion to pass a couple of slowpokes today for the first time. In both cases, the HVAC fan speed increased. Like, a lot. Didn't see anything in the owner's manual about this; I can see the radio volume ramping up with speed, but not this. Any thoughts?

Do you have the recirc button on? If you don't then the increase in the fan speed you are feeling is because the faster you go the more air that flows through the vents when it is not on recirc.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Do Limited Edition (LE) Wranglers feature options not available to non-limited edition Wranglers?

Do LE Wranglers feature styling details (e.g. seat stitching) only available on that LE model?

If I factory order a rig and don’t have to select inventory that has features most closely resembling a LE, can I simply make my own Altitude or Moab, etc.?

Thank you

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What's a good dash cam to get? I ordered in a JLUR (with AUX switches if that is even needed) and I definitely want to get one as my first mod.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What's a good dash cam to get? I ordered in a JLUR (with AUX switches if that is even needed) and I definitely want to get one as my first mod.
Nash, it's not that I don't want to answer your question--I do--it's just that the question is a bit like, "I'm seeking to learn a new language, which one should I learn?"

Like language choices, there are many pros and cons to dash cam models. Resolution, Price, Dual, Single Channel, Dual.

I am very happy with my Blacksys Dual, as much as Blackvue is considered a more premium brand.

I'm very happy with https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/our-dash-cam-collection and their service.

How much do you want to spend? Do you want the camera to take pictures even when the rig's at rest? If so you're going to want to get one that turns off when the batteries (2 in your 3.6JL) drop below a certain threshold.

You may want to trickle charger for your rig when at rest if you go this route or the ESS system may not engage if the ESS batteries voltage is drained by a dash cash operating while the rig's at rest. Both of your rig's batteries are drained when either is taxed on the 3.6L when at rest, as they are connected in parallel during this, and most other times.

Do you want to be able to access from your smart phone real time what the camera is seeing? Do you want the camera to simply provide wifi connection to see already recorded videos on the SD card.

What other things for your new rig do you want to get, and when, that will eat into your "mod budget?"

====

You will definitely not need to tap the Aux switches to do this. These cameras use so little energy that you can tap the power mirror (if equipped) or vanity light wires for accessory* wires, or places like the cargo area 12V for battery* wires.

* Accessory wires are energized when the rig is on. Your dash's 12V is one. Battery wires always supply power, like, out of the factory (changeable by the user) the cargo area 12V, if equipped.

Many dash cams that record in both park and drive modes connect to BOTH power sources so they know if the rig is on or not; the latter operated in battery conservation mode. To rephrase, if your dash 12V is dead, but your cargo area 12V is not, the device assumes the rig is parked.

You may want to search the supplied web site and the forum's search feature for people's selections.
Sponsored