Sponsored

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can someone explain Select-Trac to me and why I would want it? I’ve watch the video online and it just seems to explain the basics of four wheel drive.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Can someone explain Select-Trac to me and why I would want it? I’ve watch the video online and it just seems to explain the basics of four wheel drive.
Did Ape’s article help answer your question?

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Do we know yet the make/model of the manual transmission? I am wondering it has been used in other vehicles, so we can get an idea of the history and durability of the transmission.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
SelecTrac allows you to put your Jeep in 4WD even if you're still on dry pavement. You could even leave it in "full time" 4WD all summer without damage to drive lines & axles. With the "part time" 4WD systems, the drive train will bind up and break stuff unless there's some slip (like dirt or snow) to allow the 4 wheels to spin at different rates. In turns, every wheel spins at different speeds.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Is Select-Track less robust than a traditional setup? Are there downsides off road?

Maxwellfish

First Name
Maxwellfish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
SelecTrac allows you to put your Jeep in 4WD even if you're still on dry pavement. You could even leave it in "full time" 4WD all summer without damage to drive lines & axles. With the "part time" 4WD systems, the drive train will bind up and break stuff unless there's some slip (like dirt or snow) to allow the 4 wheels to spin at different rates. In turns, every wheel spins at different speeds.
But not yet available, correct?

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I read through it. But I think I'm too new to it to make sense of it.
I thought that might be the case. He it is in less technical terms. Most traditionally (always exceptions) the wrangler and many 4x4 that are not crossovers, but true body on frames have 4 positions in the transfer case. 2WD H, 4WD H (part time), N, and 4 WD L. Typical uses for these positions (again exceptions are out there) include:

2WD H - normal road driving, best MPGs

4WD H (part time) - needing 4x4 but still regular speeds, great in deep snow or gravel road. Problem is because the tcase is locked and if the driving surface isn’t slippery the axles may/will want to turn at different speeds but can’t and this can cause them to bind up, resulting in a possible broken axle, or hopefully just a thud sound and bump while the binded axles breaks free (and doesn’t break).

N - towing your jeep behind something, say a RV if you are retired, or a tow truck if you broke your axle (see above)

4WD L - low speed, high torque, rock crawling, stuck deep in mud or a snow bank. Top speeds 25mph ish (just a guide)

Ok so that is the common set up. The problem SelecTrac address by giving you 4WD H (full time). Is needing 4x4 on dry or non slippery surfaces.

For me this is very important as I find myself in this circumstance frequently. He is just one example. I am driving I-80 or I-90 going back visit my family in Wisconsin for Christmas. This time a year it snows on these roads, but since they are interstates the plow guys get out and clear them effectively. So I am crusing down the plowed interstate at 60 mph because its snowing and visibility is bad and all of sudden rear wheels slip, I am fishing tailing, and my heart has now gone from 60 beats/min to 120. That was close, looks like there are some slippery spots under the bridges and may some drifts of snow starting to build up. So I put in 4WD H (part time). Now I am driving along at say 55mph, I’m a little more timid now. And over the next few miles the road conditions improve. I don’t notice but all of a sudden thud sound / bump in the road. I think oh $h!t, hope I didn’t break an axle so I to go back to 2WD. But then in a mile or so I fish tail again an the process repeats. SelecTrac (or any 4WD H full time) fixes this as its allows enough slippage of the axles that they won’t bind up on dry surfaces but still splits power to both front and back axles for helps prevent fish tailing when I do hit the occasional slippery spot.

Got a little long there, but does that help?

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
SelecTrac allows you to put your Jeep in 4WD even if you're still on dry pavement.
Wait what?!?! Mind blown. Of all the things not to have understood about my XJ. Guess I came from too old school and understood to never put anything 4WD on dry pavement. Oh well it's long gone now...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is Select-Track less robust than a traditional setup? Are there downsides off road?
The only draw back is it does not have the 4:10 ratio for slower crawling as the RockTrac tcase has, although the 4 low is 2:7?? Something, Ape want to help my memory here? Still sufficient for most off roading. I also believe the RockTrac tcase can handle a bit more torque and the casing itself is stronger.

But not yet available, correct?
It has been available in the past on various models. Lots of crossover unibody SUV have a version of 4WD (full time) although SelecTrac is unique to Jeep. It will also be offered in the JL Sahara Trim.

Maxwellfish

First Name
Maxwellfish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The only draw back is it does not have the 4:10 ratio for slower crawling as the RockTrac tcase has, although the 4 low is 2:7?? Something, Ape want to help my memory here? Still sufficient for most off roading. I also believe the RockTrac tcase can handle a bit more torque and the casing itself is stronger.

It has been available in the past on various models. Lots of crossover unibody SUV have a version of 4WD (full time) although SelecTrac is unique to Jeep. It will also be offered in the JL Sahara Trim.
Ah yes, thank you. But not currently offered on Sahara trim...