QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Having the top be 3 pieces SEEMS like a great idea. Explain the issues to me.
I have a lift system in my garage so I find it super simple to remove otherwise it is a two person job. The biggest issue I think is the leaking.
Sponsored

Hitman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Do we have a definitive answer on half-doors for the JL?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Do we know if 35 will fit onthe rubicon without a lift?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know if 35 will fit onthe rubicon without a lift?
It's been stated many times that 35s will go on a JL Rubi without mods.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I have a hard top question.

I see endless complaints about the difficulty removing the 3 piece hardtop on the JK, and dismay at what looks like the continued use of that design on the JL.

My current jeep is a TJ unlimited. One piece hard top. When removed by 2 people, it generally involves mumblings about divorce (hubby), and shouting about not holding the rear window/protecting the hinges/not dropping it because the window flips up on you (me).

Having the top be 3 pieces SEEMS like a great idea. Explain the issues to me.

What is the ā€˜True Three-Piece Hardtopā€™ that I was reading about?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Seems like it was a rumour that didnā€™t pan-out from Jalopnikā€™s ā€œreliable sourceā€ last year.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It would be a nice surprise if it turned out lighter. Why assume the same weight?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
It is truly 3 pieces. 2 panels and the rest of the top. One, two, three... I'm still having a hard time with the idea that people thought a 3 piece hard top would be more than 3 pieces. But I digress, that horse has been beaten to death.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is truly 3 pieces. 2 panels and the rest of the top. One, two, three... I'm still having a hard time with the idea that people thought a 3 piece hard top would be more than 3 pieces. But I digress, that horse has been beaten to death.
Again, I think itā€™s because this article and its source made it sound like a ā€œTrue 3-piece steel HardTopā€ would be something different than the existing Freedom Panel HardTop on the JK.

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-new-jeep-wranglers-roof-may-do-three-things-its-nev-1777624947

But, that article also mentions the glass top too, SOoo... :ontheloo:

jack snakeskin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT86
20_A182_EF-_B2_DF-4349-92_D8-_AF53_D5_C7088_C.jpg

I wish they had a third separate removable piece directly above the back seats. Removing the whole 3rd piece is a pain.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Again, I think itā€™s because this article and its source made it sound like a ā€œTrue 3-piece steel HardTopā€ would be something different than the existing Freedom Panel HardTop on the JK.

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-new-jeep-wranglers-roof-may-do-three-things-its-nev-1777624947

But, that article also mentions the glass top too, SOoo... :ontheloo:
It also says the soft top would be replaced with a new power soft top.

I understand people see what they want and ignore what they don't, but the article also says this about the hard top:

I hypothesize the phrase ā€œtrue three-pieceā€ is either PR hogwash that translates to ā€œregular-ass three-pieceā€ or it means the new one has some kind of functionality that allows it to sit in three distinct stages.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hypothesize the phrase ā€œtrue three-pieceā€ is either PR hogwash that translates to ā€œregular-ass three-pieceā€ or it means the new one has some kind of functionality that allows it to sit in three distinct stages.
The funny thing about that last sentence is that the JK, already had 3 distinct stages, 4 or 5 if you wanted to get nit-picky.

Closed
Fredom Top Open
Fully Removed

Plus you could add either side open and the other side closed, very often I would just open the driver side on chillier days or days with a bit of mist in the air, especially if there was a passanger who didnā€™t feel the same need for the open sky in less than ideal conditions. :rain: ;)

Either way, I think people took that initial statement and ran with it, however at this point itā€™s pretty clearly not changed very much other than a slight modification in the closures.

I think it will just take a bit of time for people to catch up to that fact, and it will be easier on they can see them in person, or properly detailed on youtube, etc.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Which is dumb since all the greenery needs it.
Well you canā€™t breath underwater, which is dumb since you need water to live.... Come on is that really your position?

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
20_A182_EF-_B2_DF-4349-92_D8-_AF53_D5_C7088_C.jpg

I wish they had a third separate removable piece directly above the back seats. Removing the whole 3rd piece is a pain.
One of the items I had been hoping for in the redesign, was some trick engineering in terms of a more modular hardtop. Especially after having seen some of the mockups earlier in the year. But it seems like basically the same hardtop as on the JK.

Removing the one piece hardtop from my CJ-7 was always a bit of a pain. I occasionally did it by myself, by first unbolting all the fasteners, and then walking the hardtop backwards off the Jeep on my back. Which was a bit of a back breaker. I think it would be cool to have a modular hardtop, where you could remove various sections as needed, or the entire top. And the modularity could allow for effectively easier one person removal, in terms of lighter weights of the individual pieces.
Sponsored