Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Are the trans missions the same on the jl and the jkof you get the 3.6 pentastar?
Do the upgrades on the Jl 3.6 also get put on the jk 3.?
Sponsored

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Are the trans missions the same on the jl and the jkof you get the 3.6 pentastar?
Don't drink and internet! But no, the manual and auto trans are different between JK and JL

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
No to both. Only the JL/JLU gets the upgraded Pentastar and the new transmissions.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
How do you expect the 2-door to compare to the 4-door as far as on-road performance? Expect a noticeable improvement in acceleration due to lower weight? How about manners at highway speeds?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know the make and model of the JL's new manual transmission yet?

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
How do you expect the 2-door to compare to the 4-door as far as on-road performance? Expect a noticeable improvement in acceleration due to lower weight? How about manners at highway speeds?
The shorter wheelbase of the 2-door should make it squirrely compared to the 4-door.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The shorter wheelbase of the 2-door should make it squirrely compared to the 4-door.
Yep, and I'd test drive both, which you can do in a JK. They are different animals. I've owned both and enjoyed both immensely. Both have advantages off-road, but the 4 door certainly has better road manners and a much better ride, IMHO. That said, if I didn't have the need for cargo and seating space, I'd love to have another 2 door again.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Having an old 08 with a 4sp auto I often downshifted manually to control hill descents. Does the 8 sp have 8 shifter locations positions?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having an old 08 with a 4sp auto I often downshifted manually to control hill descents. Does the 8 sp have 8 shifter locations positions?
You mean physical locations?

It will just be a tap/bump auto-stick and will let you select +/- essentially, but it will indicate all 8 positions in the instrument cluster and you can auto-manually shift through all of them just like the 5spd now.

I use engine braking for on-road speed control as well as off-road hill descent in 4Lo. I look forward to the higher first gear and wider spread for this, but Iā€™m concerned about the new efficient coasting function of the 2nd Gen ZFs and wonder what its imoact will be for the 2Hi on-road downhill control as the more efficient coasting may reduce the impact of engine braking. Will be one of my first tests at the dealership.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
You mean physical locations?

It will just be a tap/bump auto-stick and will let you select +/- essentially, but it will indicate all 8 positions in the instrument cluster and you can auto-manually shift through all of them just like the 5spd now.

I use engine braking for on-road speed control as well as off-road hill descent in 4Lo. I look forward to the higher first gear and wider spread for this, but Iā€™m concerned about the new efficient coasting function of the 2nd Gen ZFs and wonder what its imoact will be for the 2Hi on-road downhill control as the more efficient coasting may reduce the impact of engine braking. Will be one of my first tests at the dealership.
Efficient coasting...will there be any way to turn this off for going down a mountain?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Efficient coasting...will there be any way to turn this off for going down a mountain?
Dunno, not enough info on it, other than it poping up in ZF literature. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m a bit curious as to the impact.

I also wonder what it will do for those of us who simply stop applying the accelerator in order to take a little speed off on the highway, etc.

Thatā€™s why the need to investigate in person to see the level of this improved coasting function, which is even being added to manuals too with their new clutch-by-wire feature.

Might be nothing, but when described my mind immediately thought of the imoact in those two areas that take advantage of not ā€˜free-wheelingā€™ the transmission.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Dunno, not enough info on it, other than it poping up in ZF literature. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m a bit curious as to the impact.

I also wonder what it will do for those of us who simply stop applying the accelerator in order to take a little speed off on the highway, etc.

Thatā€™s why the need to investigate in person to see the level of this improved coasting function, which is even being added to manuals too with their new clutch-by-wire feature.

Might be nothing, but when described my mind immediately thought of the imoact in those two areas that take advantage of not ā€˜free-wheelingā€™ the transmission.
Yeah, it sounds dangerous actually. Coasting down a hill/mountain in neutral is even illegal in many places.

Sometimes I think the CAFE/EPA people want us all dead, that way we're no longer producing any carbon emissions.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
yes that is what I meant I often do the same especially when towing a trailer..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it sounds dangerous actually. Coasting down a hill/mountain in neutral is even illegal in many places.

Sometimes I think the CAFE/EPA people want us all dead, that way we're no longer producing any carbon emissions.
Well, they have declared that our breathing is bad for the planet. Just sayin'...

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I have a hard top question.

I see endless complaints about the difficulty removing the 3 piece hardtop on the JK, and dismay at what looks like the continued use of that design on the JL.

My current jeep is a TJ unlimited. One piece hard top. When removed by 2 people, it generally involves mumblings about divorce (hubby), and shouting about not holding the rear window/protecting the hinges/not dropping it because the window flips up on you (me).

Having the top be 3 pieces SEEMS like a great idea. Explain the issues to me.
Sponsored