pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Question: I have a white rubicon that has the red trim around the decal etc and the red tow hooks on a plastic bumper. I recently came into a Mopar steel bumper off a Rubicon 392 with Gold tow hooks. Would it look bad to add that bumper considering that the gold doesnt match anything of the red accents on the vehicle? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
You can use your old tow hooks or paint the ones that came with the bumper. You can separate everything, they aren’t permanently tied to the bumper.
Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I'll try to search, I posted somewhere about what I made. Might even be able to figure out a parts list if needed. Found it:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...our-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-2320#post-1425836

I have re-worked that 2nd hose a bit, but same general idea.
Awesome I'll for sure make some. Do you like the gauge on the outside rather than under the seat? I currently have it under so I can still hook it all up and close the doors if I want but after using it a few times I dont know that it really is a necessary ability to have.

AlphaActual

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
You can use your old tow hooks or paint the ones that came with the bumper. You can separate everything, they aren’t permanently tied to the bumper.
I thought of this and tried and i had several of the torx bits that are so loctite down that they started to strip and get stuck so i stopped haha. you recommend a type of paint?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Awesome I'll for sure make some. Do you like the gauge on the outside rather than under the seat? I currently have it under so I can still hook it all up and close the doors if I want but after using it a few times I dont know that it really is a necessary ability to have.
I remove it and store it when not in use, so having it on the outside works for me. I couldn't really get a good angle to keep it mounted under the seat and reach the "air out" tool.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question: I have a white rubicon that has the red trim around the decal etc and the red tow hooks on a plastic bumper. I recently came into a Mopar steel bumper off a Rubicon 392 with Gold tow hooks. Would it look bad to add that bumper considering that the gold doesnt match anything of the red accents on the vehicle? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
I would not want my Rubi's tow hooks painted gold.

Use the bumper .. Just tape them off the tow hooks and paint them..

Tow hooks are painted with Flame Red / Chrysler PR4 (paint code)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Any particular method to paint these things? sanding or primer?
I'm sure other's that have done the deed will chime in... guys who are auto painters, etc..

I would think lightly sand them, then clean with paint thinner and let thoroughly dry.... and then spray on a few light coats of the Flame Red / Chrysler PR4 . Allow time between coats before you spray on the next coat.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
How about painting either set of the hooks white? Might be a nice contrast to all of the red on the Rubicon. :like:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Not sure if it needed its own thread, but I am mulling over getting some half doors/tube doors for summer this year. But, I am thinking about just getting fronts only to save on cost because honestly its only me driving in my Jeep like 98% of the time and I rarely ever have any passengers in the backseat.

Has anyone else done this? Any wind tunnel issues it could cause? I am assuming my Jeep will look kinda dumb with tube doors on the front and regular doors in the back, but whatever Im driving it not looking at it.
I have lots of opinions on this topic. Take them for what you will.

First, opening up the extra breeze is awesome. When driving myself I will even go doorless on the interstate and hit 80mph. It’s windy, but I also ride a motorcycle so I don’t mind. Turn the hat backwards and ensure all papers, napkins, etc are secured in a glove box/center console/box under the rear seat and enjoy the ride.

Second, just doing the front doors doesn’t look too bad and is very practical. Less money, less work, and I have kids/car seats in the back.

Third, I do not understand the point of tube doors whatsoever. I don’t think they offer much in the way of protection, maybe a little but minimal. When spring comes my doors go to the basement and I rock these until Sept/Oct.

https://www.bestop.com/products/ful...ySHZEl6sOunN61YGic6-u3B1ssDwPs3BoCUooQAvD_BwE

Unlike tube doors they weight about 10 lbs. I have a JT and I keep them in my bed when not on the door. I had them on my old YJ and kept them slipped between the rear seat and tailgate, YJs didn’t have much trunk room.

Also, unlike tube doors, these keep you dry in an unexpected rain storm. Warm at night if you stay out to late, and warm for those high altitude August snows when camping.

Tube doors offer none of these benefits. Are the canvas doors perfect? No, I never lock them and don’t keep anything of value in the Jeep. I would rather someone open the door and look around as opposed to cutting them with a knife. Besides security, they are a bit noisy, not so loud you can’t have a conversation but loud at Hwy speeds for sure. They also leak a little, but it’s a little trickle down the door in a heavy rain storm. If I’m in my business suit, I’m still dry enough for a professional meeting. I just ensure I leave them off or at least keep the window open in the garage so that the carpet doesn’t get a funky smell due to any leak water.

I have done many summers with the soft doors over two Jeeps. I would never consider tube doors.

Just my 2 cents

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

First, opening up the extra breeze is awesome. When driving myself I will even go doorless on the interstate and hit 80mph. It’s windy, but I also ride a motorcycle so I don’t mind. Turn the hat backwards and ensure all papers, napkins, etc are secured in a glove box/center console/box under the rear seat and enjoy the ride.

Second, just doing the front doors doesn’t look too bad and is very practical. Less money, less work, and I have kids/car seats in the back.

Third, I do not understand the point of tube doors whatsoever. I don’t think they offer much in the way of protection, maybe a little but minimal. When spring comes my doors go to the basement and I rock these until Sept/Oct.

https://www.bestop.com/products/ful...ySHZEl6sOunN61YGic6-u3B1ssDwPs3BoCUooQAvD_BwE

Unlike tube doors they weight about 10 lbs. I have a JT and I keep them in my bed when not on the door. I had them on my old YJ and kept them slipped between the rear seat and tailgate, YJs didn’t have much trunk room.

Also, unlike tube doors, these keep you dry in an unexpected rain storm. Warm at night if you stay out to late, and warm for those high altitude August snows when camping.

Tube doors offer none of these benefits. Are the canvas doors perfect? No, I never lock them and don’t keep anything of value in the Jeep. I would rather someone open the door and look around as opposed to cutting them with a knife. Besides security, they are a bit noisy, not so loud you can’t have a conversation but loud at Hwy speeds for sure. They also leak a little, but it’s a little trickle down the door in a heavy rain storm. If I’m in my business suit, I’m still dry enough for a professional meeting. I just ensure I leave them off or at least keep the window open in the garage so that the carpet doesn’t get a funky smell due to any leak water.

I have done many summers with the soft doors over two Jeeps. I would never consider tube doors.

Just my 2 cents
Pic of my buddy driving my truck, but it gives you an idea of the front doors off with the rear doors on. Not awful.

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 1674789528464

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I remove it and store it when not in use, so having it on the outside works for me. I couldn't really get a good angle to keep it mounted under the seat and reach the "air out" tool.
Yea its a bit of a contortion game to get to it. I think Im gonna move it outside as well.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S

Just my 2 cents
Awesome, thanks for this I saved that link. I think those fabric doors would be great I am definitely leaning towards those now. Especially for overnight rain and animal protection since I dont have a garage at my house. I guess the doors I was looking at were the nv8 half door with like mesh inserts, but I think I like these fabric doors better. Are taking them off and on pretty quick then? Guess I need to read a bit further on how they attach and all that.

edit: Sorry another question, Should I buy some different mirrors to attach to these? Any recommendations or links that would work for these doors?

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thanks for this I saved that link. I think those fabric doors would be great I am definitely leaning towards those now. Especially for overnight rain and animal protection since I dont have a garage at my house. I guess the doors I was looking at were the nv8 half door with like mesh inserts, but I think I like these fabric doors better. Are taking them off and on pretty quick then? Guess I need to read a bit further on how they attach and all that.

edit: Sorry another question, Should I buy some different mirrors to attach to these? Any recommendations or links that would work for these doors?
they just sit on the hinge without any hardware. I lift them off and toss them in the back in about 10 seconds each, maybe double that time to put them on due to lining up both pins to the hinge holes.

I don’t use mirrors and I have checked, it is legal in my state as long as I can see 200 feet behind me via the rear view. Towing a high trailer would make it illegal. I am accustomed to sticking my head out when merging left and have never had an accident, maybe a honk from someone reminding me they are there once every other summer. If you do want mirrors I would look to the ones that mount to the hood hinges and not the door hinges, that way they don’t interfere with how quickly the doors go on and off.

parking outside overnight, I need to stress the lack of security as a concern. They do have cheap locks but again I don’t use them. I don’t know your neighborhood or what items you keep in your rig.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
they just sit on the hinge without any hardware. I lift them off and toss them in the back in about 10 seconds each, maybe double that time to put them on due to lining up both pins to the hinge holes.

I don’t use mirrors and I have checked, it is legal in my state as long as I can see 200 feet behind me via the rear view. Towing a high trailer would make it illegal. I am accustomed to sticking my head out when merging left and have never had an accident, maybe a honk from someone reminding me they are there once every other summer. If you do want mirrors I would look to the ones that mount to the hood hinges and not the door hinges, that way they don’t interfere with how quickly the doors go on and off.

parking outside overnight, I need to stress the lack of security as a concern. They do have cheap locks but again I don’t use them. I don’t know your neighborhood or what items you keep in your rig.
Gotcha, thanks again. Yeah Ive left the windows off and top down overnight (have a soft top) plenty of times and dont have any valuables in the Jeep, so I am not really worried about theft. Yeah doing something non-hinge for mirrors makes sense, almost positive I need mirrors here, and would probably want them anyway.
Sponsored