First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don’t claim to be an expert but I say fill all the way up to the fill hole.
That was my initial thought as well. But attempting to fill it to the level of the hole took more than the stated capacity, to the point that I stopped out of concern that it might be overfilled. Here’s a picture of the hole height. It’s above the center line of the axle tube. Are the OEM fill holes that high?

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 1661348834232
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
That was my initial thought as well. But attempting to fill it to the level of the hole took more than the stated capacity, to the point that I stopped out of concern that it might be overfilled. Here’s a picture of the hole height. It’s above the center line of the axle tube. Are the OEM fill holes that high?

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 1661348834232
I really don’t think you can over fill. The diff should have a breather hose if temps cause the liquid to expand. Bottom line is you want all those gears completely submerged to reduce wear.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have MetalCloak front and rear diff covers and when refilling the diffs with oil I discovered that they hold more than the stock covers. I guess the more convex shape and higher fill hole are the reasons. How much gear oil is too much?
That's a question best answered by the manufacturer. You could then vet their reply through a CDJR Service Dept. of your choosing.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That's a question best answered by the manufacturer. You could then vet their reply through a CDJR Service Dept. of your choosing.
I’m guessing you’ve never spoken to a service writer, service technician, or service manager at a dealership? First they’re going to ask me for my VIN. Then they’ll want to flash my ECU. Then they’ll give me a part number for an OEM diff cover and gasket, which will be obscenely priced and out of stock with no ETA. Then they’ll inform me that non OEM parts installation or DIY labor will void my warranty. Then they’ll maybe be motivated enough to look up the fluid capacity in the manual and quote it to me. Which I’ve already exceeded and it’s still not full to the fill hole. Then I’ll be right back here asking you guys in case anyone with this cover knows the answer for sure. :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I really don’t think you can over fill. The diff should have a breather hose if temps cause the liquid to expand. Bottom line is you want all those gears completely submerged to reduce wear.
See, that’s my concern. I’m not sure if “more is better” in this case, that’s why I ask. Will filling it too high not cause issue with seals?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’m guessing you’ve never spoken to a service writer, service technician, or service manager at a dealership? First they’re going to ask me for my VIN. Then they’ll want to flash my ECU. Then they’ll give me a part number for an OEM diff cover and gasket, which will be obscenely priced and out of stock with no ETA. Then they’ll inform me that non OEM parts installation or DIY labor will void my warranty. Then they’ll maybe be motivated enough to look up the fluid capacity in the manual and quote it to me.
Ok, ok... Did you get everything out of your system now? :)

I've spoken to service writers many times. I'm related to one (a first cousin). Sure, there's the potential for them to brush you off, but that's not guaranteed to occur, and you may get a nugget of genuine advice out of them before taking your leave.

I'll mention again that your inquiry might get a fair hearing at the manufacturer, if you ask them first, before considering a phone call or visit to a Jeep dealer. Just a thought.

---------------

Do I think differentials can be overfilled? Absolutely, I do. So it's a subject that I'd chase down in a particular order, with the related vehicle forum being #3 or so in the batting order.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ok, ok... Did you get everything out of your system now? :)

I've spoken to service writers many times. I'm related to one (a first cousin). Sure, there's the potential for them to brush you off, but that's not guaranteed to occur, and you may get a nugget of genuine advice out of them before taking your leave.

I'll mention again that your inquiry might get a fair hearing at the manufacturer, if you ask them first, before considering a phone call or visit to a Jeep dealer. Just a thought.

---------------

Do I think differentials can be overfilled? Absolutely, I do. So it's a subject that I'd chase down in a particular order, with the related vehicle forum being #3 or so in the batting order.
Good advice. I should have called MC from the start.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Good advice. I should have called MC from the start.
I think MC will have the best answer on that, for sure. Their cover, their changes to fill volume, their fill hole placement.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a32107015/how-to-fix-car-differential/

last paragraph, fill to the brim.

besides worse case scenario of “overfilling” if you believe in that, is that the pressure will find a weak spot in your gasket maker and leak a bit. Then you can repeat the oil change process, overfilling won’t cause any issues to the gears themselves.
“The bottom of the plug hole is the maximum fill line, so when oil starts dripping out, you're finished.”

I agree that with an OEM cover this is how it’s designed. However not with the cover I have. The profile and fill hole placement allow it to hold a lot more fluid. As suggested I spoke to MetalCloak about it. Straight from the horse’s mouth - don’t fill until it drips out. Fill the OEM recommended amount. Their hole is higher and allows it to be overfilled. A little is fine. Too much is too much. I lost track of how much went in because I wasn’t really measuring until it took the whole second quart and wasn’t dripping out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Factory side steps are plastic, and a bit floppy if you stand on either end.
But if you stand in the middle between the support beams they work well.
And of course standing directly above the cross support it is very strong.
Civil Engineering 101 - cantilevered beams are weaker.

I bought a set, installed them, decided they were too floppy, took them off.
Went looking for something steel, didn't like the look or the prices.
Also didn't like the idea of trying to remove a frame bolt for the installation.
So I reinstalled the plastic ones. They look good and work fine as a step for short people.
I'm not a rock crawler, my jeep is a dune buggy so plastic steps are fine for me.
Thanks. Now that we have it I am fine with them but I don't really use them getting in and out. My Wife and kids do and I'm sure there is more flex than a steel design but I like how far the stick out which helps keep rocks off the hinges and fenders. Ours is mainly for street/beach.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
“The bottom of the plug hole is the maximum fill line, so when oil starts dripping out, you're finished.”
I had a WK with a 4” lift that slightly modified the angle of the front diff. The front gears went bad, so the dealership replaced the entire front axle under warranty; within 10 miles of installation the axle went went bad. Hmmm, must have been a manufacturing defect, so they replaced entire assembly AGAIN and the same thing happened. Turns out the axle assembly is filled with oil at the factory and the slightly different angle introduced by the lift prevented oil from getting to the rear of the axle. They replaced the axle a third time and topped up the oil and everything was fine.

Long way of saying oil levels can be critical and I personally would error on the side of overfilling.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
A bit of a downer question... but JL's are very popular so I'm sure there's an answer out there. I have a funeral to go to next week. Having a soft top and the hood being aluminum, where should I instruct the funeral home to put the procession flag on my jeep?

I'm sure they have different types of flags for vehicles that aren't magnetic, but the only type of flag I've ever had experience with are the magnetic type. Is there a spot I can tell them to put it if that's all they have?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

A bit of a downer question... but JL's are very popular so I'm sure there's an answer out there. I have a funeral to go to next week. Having a soft top and the hood being aluminum, where should I instruct the funeral home to put the procession flag on my jeep?

I'm sure they have different types of flags for vehicles that aren't magnetic, but the only type of flag I've ever had experience with are the magnetic type. Is there a spot I can tell them to put it if that's all they have?
There are bolts at the base of the a-pillars that are candidates, but the magnetic base of the flag would need to be pretty small since the bolts are slightly recessed.

They may also have antenna flags.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I (think I) get that the two hood open switches under the hood, near the front driver's side, serve different purposes: the left indicating that the hood is open, and the right signaling same to the ESS system, but why didn't these two functions get integrated into one switch?

Is there more that each switch does such that dissociating each switch to enable/disable different things just made design sense?

Thanks.

P.S. : ESS switch, when open, also disables remote start, correct?
Sponsored