Advertisement

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Sheepjeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Cough, cough. Let me dust off this thread.

My question is how products like Jscan differ from the JL Taser and Superchips products.

Here's what I think I know. Jscan is software, that with a compatible ODB connector, can be used to diagnose problems. With it, the connector, and a security bypass cable it can also change some configurations.

JL Tazer , which comes in various models, is hardware that connects to the port and allows users, through the screen seen through the steering wheel, to change some settings that might not changeable without it. It uses CANBUS programming to allow a list of things to be configured, like allowing the rear camera to remain on indefinitely. Some of those changes require the hardware to remain connected, and some don't.

And Supechips Flashcal is similar in functionality to the JL Taser, also uses CANBUS, and allows some different configuration settings (through its screen) from the JL Tazer, while also having some in common with the JL Tazer, and lacking some the JL Tazer has. It's tech was introduced earlier than the JL Tazer but (??) most JL owners prefer the Tazer

Please correct/embelish. Thanks.
they are all for the most part just reprograming the computer via the CANBUS and OBDII port, they mainly differ on how you interact with the programming aspect and how comfy they are as a company to let you configure without bricking the jeep. I took apart the security bypass plug for my Tazer and all it is is just a bypass with direct connections from one plug to the other. The security gateway is just like a firewall you would have on a computer network, blocking unauthorized traffic and changes of the computer, except for a handful devices that are give access keys, which FCA controls the handout of.

Advertisement

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For those of us with A/C power outlets in the rear of our JLs, is anyone familiar with where, in the engine bay, if at all, I might be able to tap into this 100V A/C/ current?

I did try to research this myself, getting the correct wiring diagram from one the top links on the DIY page https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-OUTLETS.pdf on the forum.

I am presuming , maybe incorrectly, that the inverter lies somewhere under the hood and not in the cabin.

Thanks.

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Does anyone know the name of the design pattern on the instrument panel mat/center console mat/mat under the parking brake? It's like a anthracite camo, similar to the pattern on the underside of the freedom panels. If I could find the design pattern, I'm thinking of getting the dashboard panels color-matched to that camo-esque pattern. Thanks!

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
1) When it comes to my Sahara, how do I know, without necessary looking down at the transmission shifter, what gear my JL is in?

2) What purpose does this part of the instrument cluster that's circled in yellow serve if any?

leftdash.JPG

3) And what's the most likely cause of a "SERV 4WD" light going on, much that I've yet to ever drive in anything but 2 wheel drive? If comes on and stays on upon startup since this morning. Nothing eventful has happen with my JL. It barely leaves the trickle charger on my driveway during COVID.

Thanks

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
1) When it comes to my Sahara, how do I know, without necessary looking down at the transmission shifter, what gear my JL is in?

2) What purpose does this part of the instrument cluster that's circled in yellow serve if any?

leftdash.JPG

3) And what's the most likely cause of a "SERV 4WD" light going on, much that I've yet to ever drive in anything but 2 wheel drive? If comes on and stays on upon startup since this morning. Nothing eventful has happen with my JL. It barely leaves the trickle charger on my driveway during COVID.

Thanks
1) Assuming you have an automatic, there is a setting somewhere that will add the gear to the dashboard display. Sorry, I have a manual and don't know exactly where that is.

2) That portion of the display shows the status of the transfer case (it mimics the shifter knob). The 2H should be illuminated when you're in 2H - it doesn't look like your's is so you might want to get it checked out if that is the case.

3) This is an intermittent problem many have had. Possibly related to a bad sensor or loose connection. So far, mine cured itself.

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
1) Assuming you have an automatic, there is a setting somewhere that will add the gear to the dashboard display. Sorry, I have a manual and don't know exactly where that is.

2) That portion of the display shows the status of the transfer case (it mimics the shifter knob). The 2H should be illuminated when you're in 2H - it doesn't look like your's is so you might want to get it checked out if that is the case.

3) This is an intermittent problem many have had. Possibly related to a bad sensor or loose connection. So far, mine cured itself.
Thanks Jim.

1) I asked my first question poorly I think. To rephrase, how do I know, without necessary looking down at the transmission shifter, what transmission connection, (not gear) (e.g. 2H, 4H, N, 4l) I am in. I DO happen to have on my automatic that configuration where it tells me what gear I am in, when cruising around in otherwise standard 2H (e.g. D2, D5, etc.)

...and if it's that portion of my picture that I circled in yellow as you seem to indicate.....

2) That port of my display shows nothing. I will point that out to the tech when I bring my rig in next week for service related to the "SERV 4WD" light.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Thanks Jim.

1) I asked my first question poorly I think. To rephrase, how do I know, without necessary looking down at the transmission shifter, what transmission connection, (not gear) (e.g. 2H, 4H, N, 4l) I am in. I DO happen to have on my automatic that configuration where it tells me what gear I am in, when cruising around in otherwise standard 2H (e.g. D2, D5, etc.)

...and if it's that portion of my picture that I circled in yellow as you seem to indicate.....

2) That port of my display shows nothing. I will point that out to the tech when I bring my rig in next week for service related to the "SERV 4WD" light.
In that case, all three of your questions may have the same answer! If that indicator is is not illuminated then there is something wrong.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Jim.

That indicator you circled is for the 4WD transfer case, not the “transmission.” It should light up to indicate in which position your 4WD is at any given time.

Looks like it ain’t working on your Jeep. Perhaps that’s the reason you have a SERV 4WD light coming on.

PS - your motor is turned off on that photo. Does the transfer case indicator look like that when the engine is running and the vehicle moving...?

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys (on order), 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Ok, I have 2 questions:
1. How much would 5 stock sport wheels and tires be worth with only 2,500 miles?
20200425_181105.jpg
rsz_dsc_0365_1.jpg

2. Is this a good bumper or just a cheap knock off?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193371096564
TireRack.com would be a good place to try and price your tires. Items offered up for sale here on the forums seem to sell really well. Best of luck.

Don't know about the bumper so the thread mentioned above is probably your best bet.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I ripped off (and broke beyond repair) my passenger, rear, textured black Rubicon fender flare. I can't figure out which part # to order. I can't distinguish the part numbers between the black and the paintable? Anybody know?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Saharicon "Mud Muffin" (Wife), 2018 JLUR "Fat Ninja" (Me)
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I have 2 questions:
1. How much would 5 stock sport wheels and tires be worth with only 2,500 miles?
20200425_181105.jpg
rsz_dsc_0365_1.jpg

2. Is this a good bumper or just a cheap knock off?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193371096564
Those tires are $116 new on tirerack.com. I'd throw them up on craigslist or a local facebook page for $450 and see who bites. Brag it up, low miles, tpms sensors included (assuming you are) brand new clean rims.
As for the bumper follow the other guy's response. My wife and I both run Rubi steel bumpers up front with no caps on the end and we love them.

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That indicator you circled is for the 4WD transfer case, not the “transmission.” It should light up to indicate in which position your 4WD is at any given time.

Looks like it ain’t working on your Jeep. Perhaps that’s the reason you have a SERV 4WD light coming on.

PS - your motor is turned off on that photo. Does the transfer case indicator look like that when the engine is running and the vehicle moving...?
When the vehicle is on the vertical line to the right of the 2H, 4H, N, and 4L is illuminated but that's it.

So when in 2H, is the indicator suppose to indicate anything?

Advertisement

Advertisement