Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
So this part here is removable, and underneath are 2 anchored mounting points for racks etc that are connected to the frame, so may even support more weight than previously.

5B38CB65-E607-48D1-AFE5-7140192227C6.jpeg
I don't think this is removeable. The way I read it is the two bolts we see are the two anchor points. From other angles it looks like there's another 2 on the top side as well.

One of the JL's at the LA show (the mojito or white sport, can't remember which) had the mopar A pillar light mounts which utilized both these points.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
I don't think this is removeable. The way I read it is the two bolts we see are the two anchor points. From other angles it looks like there's another 2 on the top side as well.

One of the JL's at the LA show (the mojito or white sport, can't remember which) had the mopar A pillar light mounts which utilized both these points.
I saw another member claiming this also. There was a video (can't remember which one) not long ago where the guy was saying that it was reinforced/anchored underneath that cowl section.

I agree with you as I didn't take it that the panel is removable to then mount stuff to, but that stuff mounts on top or over the panel and it has been bolstered underneath to accept heavy weights from a roof rack, per se.

It would be awkward functionally & visually if you had to remove that piece to mount accessories. It wouldn't really make any sense either IMO.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Well weā€™ll know soone enough.

Many of the reviews mention ā€˜under the cowlā€™, but if itā€™s just that the threads for bolts extend underneath, then itā€™s a poorly written description of the mounting points.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
So this part here is removable, and underneath are 2 anchored mounting points for racks etc that are connected to the frame, so may even support more weight than previously.

5B38CB65-E607-48D1-AFE5-7140192227C6.jpeg
Thanks TGGA.

Sponsored

rtf500

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee altitude
I could have sworn I heard or read during the reveal that the JL would have a tighter turning radius than the current JK. But from what I'm seeing its the exact same? Does anyone else recall during the reveal them saying a tighter turning radius?

I've got a Grand Cherokee with a tighter turn radius than a 4 door wrangler, why?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
i have yet another QTDDIOT:

What combined MPG savings do posters regularly receive on JKU with all four doors off and top off ? What is the weight savings in doing so ?
Wind drag is just as important as weight in determining MPGs. With the doors and top off the drag increases exponentially as the speed increases.
One of the reasons manufacturers recommend keeping windows shut and AC turned on. Open windows will cause a much greater decrease in MPG than the AC compressor.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
There is a new Youtube video showing the turning radius of the JL versus JK, showing a 'ghost' overlay of the vehicles. Very noticeable difference on the turning radius.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I could have sworn I heard or read during the reveal that the JL would have a tighter turning radius than the current JK. But from what I'm seeing its the exact same? Does anyone else recall during the reveal them saying a tighter turning radius?

I've got a Grand Cherokee with a tighter turn radius than a 4 door wrangler, why?
Every review I read that addressed turning radius was consistently stating about a 1 foot improvement in both models (2-dr and 4-dr) over the JK.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Are grab handles (on sports bar) included with the JL? With my JK they were included. I saw some Mopar grab handles that looked very similar to my current JK handles so I am wondering if these are extra now? If extra, maybe Jeep thinks with A pillar handles these are not needed?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wind drag is just as important as weight in determining MPGs. With the doors and top off the drag increases exponentially as the speed increases.
One of the reasons manufacturers recommend keeping windows shut and AC turned on. Open windows will cause a much greater decrease in MPG than the AC compressor.
This is the case for cars, however they are also more aerodynamic. Fully removing the top (not just opening the sunrider or removing freedom panels) actually doesnā€™t have the same negative impact as on a car, and might actually increase fuel economy by not having a large vacuum created at the rear of the Wrangler. However the improvement wouldnā€™t be due to weght.

Just opening the top a bit however or just removing the doors without removing the top definitely still negatively impacts the fuel economy as it maintains the big rear vacuum behind the Wrangler, but also increases turbulence dramatically without doing anything to weight resulting in a noticeably lower MPGs.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was just looking through the order guide, and found a couple curiosities. What are they?

Tip Start (XBN)?

Advanced Brake Assist (BGG)? Is that a fancy new name for ABS?

Center Console Parts Module (X8S)?

Protective Coating and Remover (XPF)?

Seat Parts Module (X8Z)?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the JK(U) Tip Start means you donā€™t have to press and hold the Key in the Start position intil it turns over to start it , it will simply take it as a ā€˜start requestā€™ and expend the required energy to get the engine to turn over and keep running. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s origin is related to remote start or not, but it essentially acts similarly even without remote start, and just ensures that the engine starts without having to hold it in place. I think it may also prevent attempts to start when already started and the associated horrible starter vs engine noise. I assume for push button itā€™s a similar one & done event so that you donā€™t have to hold the button until/to start.

Advanced Braking / BGG or BAS is component of the Advanced Emergency Braking system (although in the JL without the cameras and radar/lidar necessary for AEB itself), where a sudden departure from the accelerator pre-charges the brakes in preparation for an Emergency Stop / Braking event. I remembered reading about it somewhere earlier in the pre-launch Wrangler info release, and then saw it again when the User Guide came out, and thought it was a good idea, especially as I was worried about the effect of improved transmission coasting on engine braking. It seems like a good idea from that aspect.

However, a bit further investigation comes up wih a video on a 300C explaining the system a little differently and concerns me, as it seems to replace the concept of threshold braking with treating every event as a ā€œmaximum brake pressure and let ABS take overā€ braking, which Iā€™m a bit concerned about, as I am a proponent of good threshold braking, and have used it effectively in many emergency situations where I am certain ABS wouldnā€™t work as well.

Hopefully it just maintains pressure as long as you do, and doesnā€™t affect/impinge threshold braking.

3C55C7C1-71E4-4EA2-A21A-69BD0D9A74B4.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Curiosity question:

Has anyone, MOPAR or aftermarket, made a hood lock for the JK Wrangler, whose release is actuated by a lever within the vehcile's interior, much like many other vehicles?

I know the hood latches on the JK have had aftermarket replacement locking latches designed for them---and I suspect the same will come (or has come in the MOPAR pre-sales add on parts promotion for the JL) in the aftermarket. And I know that such locks, opened from the outside of the vehicle, have been aftermarket and MOPAR items as well.

Any such devices for the gas cap? (I know, get a locking gas cap.) It's not me, it's the "Mrs."

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In another thread, it was mentioned that the front axle disconnect from the early 1990s has returned. Is that true, and if so how is it being implemented?

Reason I ask is because the YJ system was terrible, and the same system was used on the Ram 1500 which was also terrible. GM's version with gas operated (and later electrically operated) motors in the axle was terrible. Ford's system of doing it at the hubs with vacuum lines continues to be terrible even today. Front axle disconnect systems have never been reliable, and they have not proven to extend the life of front end components or real world fuel economy either.
Sponsored