Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This might seem a dumb question to some but can I drive around with just the windows pulled out of a Premier Sunrider soft top? So top is on for sun protection but without the plastic windows. Never had a soft top so I don’t know if the windows help hold the top in place preventing the soft top from flapping around.
Absolutely
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This might seem a dumb question to some but can I drive around with just the windows pulled out of a Premier Sunrider soft top? So top is on for sun protection but without the plastic windows. Never had a soft top so I don’t know if the windows help hold the top in place preventing the soft top from flapping around.
I concur it's fine.

Interestingly enough, the owner's manual says that driving with the soft top down to its first (Sunrider) position requires removing the plastic windows.

Few due it: it probably won't be a problem if you don't, but it's what FCA wants its owners to do.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Please educate me.

If I never take off my doors what would be the downside of using the non-permanent version of Loctite on the door nuts (technically they're nuts) which attach on to the hinges?

I made some gear for the outside of the rig that gets its vertical support in part by attaching to the hinge nuts. Sparring your possible disagreement with that approach what are your thoughts on non-permanent Loctite use on these nuts here.

Thanks.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Does the front windshield on all JL’s have its own electronic defroster (like the rear window - not the fan one)? Or is it just ones with the active cruise control?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Does the front windshield on all JL’s have its own electronic defroster (like the rear window - not the fan one)? Or is it just ones with the active cruise control?
I lack active cruise control. It wasn't even offered when I bought my JL in '18. Despite this I most definitely have a dedicated defroster for the front windshield.

Looking at front defrosting and active cruise control as features, you always have the former. You may also have the latter.

Sponsored

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I lack active cruise control. It wasn't even offered when I bought my JL in '18. Despite this I most definitely have a dedicated defroster for the front windshield.

Looking at front defrosting and active cruise control as features, you always have the former. You may also have the latter.
I’m talking about wires going to the windshield, not buttons on the dash or in the infotainment. I’ll take a picture when I get the Jeep back from the tint shop.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’m talking about wires going to the windshield, not buttons on the dash or in the infotainment. I’ll take a picture when I get the Jeep back from the tint shop.
Understood now. I don't know. Hopefully others will. : - )

I certainly don't have such wires, nor, as stated active cruise control; which as you must appreciate is only evidence, not proof that the two feature offerings are related. : - )

Things to ponder: If you take down the windshield on a cold day can you turn this defroster on to heat the air that flows into the cabin? ; - )

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Please educate me.

If I never take off my doors what would be the downside of using the non-permanent version of Loctite on the door nuts (technically they're nuts) which attach on to the hinges?

I made some gear for the outside of the rig that gets its vertical support in part by attaching to the hinge nuts. Sparring your possible disagreement with that approach what are your thoughts on non-permanent Loctite use on these nuts here.

Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem and might be in everyone's best interest to do that if you aren't going to be frequently removing those fasteners because the Loctite will prevent the fasteners from rusting together.

Just be dang sure it's blue Loctite, not red or else you'll never, ever get them back off.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Shouldn't be a problem and might be in everyone's best interest to do that if you aren't going to be frequently removing those fasteners because the Loctite will prevent the fasteners from rusting together.

Just be dang sure it's blue Loctite, not red or else you'll never, ever get them back off.
Agreed..."blue" .... thanks!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Here are the wires going to what appears to be a front defroster.

6A40A25E-93D2-4C93-A9B0-A8E9E6383816.jpeg
I’ve got cold weather pkg and ACC and I don’t think I’ve got that on my front windshield. At any rate that looks like possibly a rain sensor for the wipers to me rather than a defroster. But I could be wrong.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I’ve got cold weather pkg and ACC and I don’t think I’ve got that on my front windshield. At any rate that looks like possibly a rain sensor for the wipers to me rather than a defroster. But I could be wrong.
Here is where it is in relation to the rest of the windshield. From looking at the front, I’m assuming it’s a defroster for the sensor area for the ACC.

62553700-D006-4CEE-9D08-71E141F13630.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Here is where it is in relation to the rest of the windshield. From looking at the front, I’m assuming it’s a defroster for the sensor area for the ACC.

62553700-D006-4CEE-9D08-71E141F13630.jpeg
I’ve never noticed it on mine but maybe I’m just unobservant and oblivious. I’ll check in a couple of hours when I get home and check it. I’ll post a photo.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
After swapping Rubi Rails for Roam Step Sliders, should I reinstall the 4 large bolts back into the body or leave them out?

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I concur it's fine.

Interestingly enough, the owner's manual says that driving with the soft top down to its first (Sunrider) position requires removing the plastic windows.

Few due it: it probably won't be a problem if you don't, but it's what FCA wants its owners to do.
That "could" explain why some folks have been reporting side windows blowing out at highway speeds.
I know some say they blew away with the top fully closed, but it could have been weakened by running this way previously?
Sponsored