Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Press Release:

FCA US Reports Second-quarter 2020 Sales
  • Retail sales on rebound since April as consumers remain resilient
  • More than 98 percent of U.S. dealer network selling vehicles online
July 1, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reported second-quarter sales of 367,086 vehicles – a 39 percent decline over the same period a year earlier – as the economic havoc caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in April was partially offset by the stronger than expected retail sales rebound in May and June.

Fleet sales were impacted in the quarter as customers initially delayed or reduced their orders, in addition as production restarted deliveries have been focused on the dealer channel.

"This quarter demonstrated the resilience of the U.S. consumer," said Head of U.S. Sales Jeff Kommor. "Retail sales have been rebounding since April as the reopening of the economy, steady gas prices and access to low interest loans spur people to buy. Our fleet volume remained low during the quarter as we prioritized vehicle deliveries to retail customers. As a result, we have built a strong fleet order book, which we will fulfill over the coming months."

This was also the first quarter consumers could completely purchase their vehicles online through the company’s new Online Retailing Experience (ORE). ORE is accessible through the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, Ram, FIAT and Alfa Romeo websites, participating dealer sites and a variety of social media applications. Customers simply click on the link to begin the process.

About 20 percent of new sales leads now come from online retailing compared with about 1 percent a year earlier.

“ORE is another tool dealers can now use to reach those consumers who like shopping from their home computer," Kommor said.

The Wrangler had sales of 56,463 units.

Jeep Wrangler JL Q2 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sales Number: 56,463 Units 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sales Figure
Sponsored

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
If I'm reading this right, Wrangler sales were down, but still pretty strong. Ram pickups (much like the F-150) are the FCA cash cow. Sales galore!

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
If I'm reading this right, Wrangler sales were down, but still pretty strong. Ram pickups (much like the F-150) are the FCA cash cow. Sales galore!
Yes, but as a percentage, RAM is down quite a bit. The Wrangler is only down 16% for Q2. I think this speaks to the strength of the Wrangler brand.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Does anyone have an idea of how the sales are broken down between Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models?

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Remember that all of these numbers need a huge asterisk. Q2'20 was inevitably going to be way down compared to Q2'19. A more interesting perspective is how FCA compared to other manufacturers. Ford's sales were down 33%, GM's were down 34%. Nissan was the worst of major manufacturers, with a drop of almost 50%. So comparatively, a drop of sales of only 16% in Wranglers is actually quite good. Especially considering the introduction of the Gladiator, which was expected to cannibalize a portion of Wrangler sales.

Sponsored

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
The Brand is strong.

The online sales part is interesting. Most online sales departments and websites, in the past, were just a way to get your ass into a chair in the dealership. They never took calls or emails seriously. No negotiating that way. I dealt with a million websites and web-chats, the job is to get your name and number for a lead to get you in the store. Hopefully that will now change. The dealerships that offer the best deals benefit the most from online buying because customers can contact 20 dealers in 5 minutes as opposed to driving, sitting and talking.

The whole dealership model needs to change. It is so silly that a Jeep in NYC or Texas costs thousands more than the same Jeep in Alabama. If your rent is too high, don't open there.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not that simple. FCA gives dealers different incentives based on sales and location. They want foot traffic to see, touch drive vehicles. That is where most of their sales come from in normal times. And it wouldn't work if everyone bought from different states, all the transport issues, costs. If local dealers don't survive is everybody going to travel to the nearest dealer 200 miles away for warranty work? Buying local and getting dealer support is more important than saving a few dollars.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by a local used Jeep Wrangler dealer (small car lot that deals mostly in Jeep Wranglers), that he is having to pay over retail for used Jeeps just to put them on his lot. He sold 37 jeep wranglers in June. I live in the Appalachian Mountains, and that may have an effect on why so many Jeeps sell here, but most of our Jeep Dealers (5-7 in easy driving distance) have 5 or fewer new Wranglers on their lots... Typically they would have 25+ to choose from on each lot. The supply of new Jeeps is on a trickle at best...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler Q2 sales declined less (-16%) than the market overall (-34%), so it is doing just fine. Ram pickup on the other hand declined a bit faster (-35%) than the market.

The big news is Gladiator selling almost 20,000 units in Q2. That represents an annualized 80,000 units in the middle of this pandemic. Not bad.

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Wrangler + Gladiator sales this YTD are above the same time period last year. All things considered, that's amazing success.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone have an idea of how the sales are broken down between Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models?
These are the best numbers I have. They are from May 2018, but I think this is pretty typical:

Sport Unlimited (45%)
Total Built: 38,142

Sahara Unlimited (35%)
Total Built: 29,560

Rubicon Unlimited (20%)
Total Built: 17,431

I lost the 2-door numbers, but Sports tend to be around 70% I think.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Based on Crypto stats which aren't necessarily representative they show a 22% 2 door to 78% 4 door. Trim split is about 65% Rubicon, 18% Sahara, 15% Sport.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Based on Crypto stats which aren't necessarily representative they show a 22% 2 door to 78% 4 door. Trim split is about 65% Rubicon, 18% Sahara, 15% Sport.
Interesting but not even close to representative of the general public.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting but not even close to representative of the general public.
A couple videos of journalists touring the plant assembly have commented the 2 door is a small percentage. FCA has gone to quarterly sales reporting to avoid questions on individual months but I haven't seen any reports of the trim breakdown. Presume those on the forum and Crypto are more devoted fans and prefer Rubicons versus the general public who don't know what they are buying just the one on the lot that looks prettiest.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A couple videos of journalists touring the plant assembly have commented the 2 door is a small percentage. FCA has gone to quarterly sales reporting to avoid questions on individual months but I haven't seen any reports of the trim breakdown. Presume those on the forum and Crypto are more devoted fans and prefer Rubicons versus the general public who don't know what they are buying just the one on the lot that looks prettiest.
I think the breakdown of 2-door to 4-door is probably about right. But on this forum Rubicons are much higher and Sports much lower than the general public.
Sponsored