FCA US Reports First-quarter 2021 U.S. Sales
  • First-quarter retail sales rise 25%
  • Jeep® Wrangler posts best ever first-quarter retail sales
  • Ram brand reports best month of retail sales ever in March
  • Alfa Romeo first-quarter total sales rise 25%
  • Chrysler brand first-quarter total sales increase 32%
  • Dodge muscle cars' retail sales up 29% year over year
  • Dodge Durango retail sales up 61%
April 1, 2021 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reported a 5% increase in first-quarter U.S. total sales, driven by strong retail demand. For the quarter, U.S. sales were 469,651 vehicles, compared with 446,768 for the same period a year earlier. Retail sales rose 25% compared with the first quarter of 2020. Focus on growing the commercial fleet business continues to pay dividends with fleet commercial sales up 24% compared with the first quarter of 2020. Fleet accounted for 19% of total sales for the quarter.

“In spite of what started out as a strong start last year, before COVID shocked us all, this quarter was a very strong rebound for retail sales year over year,” said U.S. Head of Sales Jeff Kommor. “The consumer demand for our brands and our products was extremely strong throughout the quarter.” The Jeep® brand saw its iconic Wrangler post the best ever first-quarter retail sales, following the best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020. Total Wrangler sales rose 25% to 49,646 vehicles. Jeep Gladiator followed suit. Following its best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020, Gladiator posted its best ever first quarter with total sales of 18,822 vehicles, a 23% increase over the same period last year. Gladiator also had its best month of retail and total sales in March since launch.

This is an exciting time for the Jeep brand, with the new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 and the all-new 2021 Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid arriving in dealerships soon. In the second quarter, the Grand Cherokee L will make its debut in dealership showrooms. Customers can also look forward to the all-new 2022 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer arriving in the large SUV segment as a premium extension of the brand.

Ram recorded its best ever first-quarter retail sales. In March, the Ram brand also posted its best ever monthly retail sales. Overall, Ram retail sales rose 28% in the quarter based on strong consumer demand for trucks.

For the first quarter, the Alfa Romeo brand posted a 25% gain in total sales compared with the same period last year, with sales of the Stelvio SUV increasing by 34% and the Giulia sedan by 17%. These results follow 2020 in which the Alfa Romeo brand grew both volume and market share.

Total first-quarter sales of the Chrysler brand increased 32% to 39,737 vehicles, led by the Chrysler Pacifica – America’s most capable minivan. First-quarter retail sales of Pacifica increased 57%, compared to the first quarter of 2020.

Coming off a strong 2020, Dodge Challenger and Charger continue the trend in the first quarter, with retail sales of the muscle cars up 29% year over year. The new 2021 Dodge Durango, the ultimate "no-compromise" SUV, continues to raise the bar, adding to the brand’s success both on the road and in the showroom, turning in a 61% increase in first-quarter retail sales. The top purchase reasons for Dodge vehicles are overall exterior styling, being "fun to drive" and overall power and acceleration, and Kelley Blue Book is recognizing America’s performance brand by naming Dodge the Best Car Styling Brand in the 2021 Brand Image Awards for the third year in a row.

See the attached table for the breakdown of brand and nameplate sales.

Jeep Wrangler JL Q1 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures Sets First-Quarter Record screen-shot-2021-04-09-at-8-39-16-am-
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Even with a global pandemic and parts shortages, FCA still is capable of making a profit.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The 29% growth in the muscle car segment isn't a surprise.

I visited my selling dealership yesterday on an unrelated matter, and eyeballed the Charger and Challenger lot stock. The latter really gets the sum of old school muscle correct. Every little detail that should be there, is, and in a manner that is diluted or absent on the Mustang and certainly the zaftig Camaro.

There's a butt for every seat, of course, and it is reassuring to see traditional horsepower continue to thrive as the inexorable transition to electric propulsion continues.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
One of the reasons I bought mine was the high resale value. But I'm thinking this, plus the Bronco, may reduce its standing in that area. Hopefully not by much.

Maybe the Bronco will have steering problems.

Last edited:

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
The automotive market in general, new and used is absolutely on fire right now. Inventory is tight in places though.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I think a big part of this is the explosion of 'overlanding', where the 4Runner and the Wrangler are the best 'overlanding' options if you want something affordable and new.

A little anecdotal backstory. I come from economy cars (which I liked to modify/race) and always heard trucks and Jeeps rode terrible. Now that I'm older and have a family, I wanted to get off onto trails and I was looking at crossovers and Subarus. I kept comparing everything to the capabilities of a Jeep. Jeeps are undeniably one of if not the most capable factory off-roader on paper. After comparing everything to Jeep, I decided to just check it out to see if it was really that bad on the road. It wasn't. I don't know how other models of Jeep ride, but the JL doesn't feel like a compromise. I can still corner with decent speed without feeling like I'm going to tip over, and now speed bumps and steep driveways don't make me cringe trying to hit them at an angle so I don't scrape. The Rubicon suspension and e rated tires really firmed everything up and I love the ride.
The FCA trucks ride real well too. I just can't drive something that big.
My old 98 TJ rides fine for me. Not sure what all the fuss about ride quality comes from unless folks are putting 37s and 4" lifts on then complaining about the ride. I've always had sports sedans too so maybe the Cadillac and Lexus folks are complaining from their cushy ride habits. Looking forward to my JL.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The 29% growth in the muscle car segment isn't a surprise.

I visited my selling dealership yesterday on an unrelated matter, and eyeballed the Charger and Challenger lot stock. The latter really gets the sum of old school muscle correct. Every little detail that should be there, is, and in a manner that is diluted or absent on the Mustang and certainly the zaftig Camaro.

There's a butt for every seat, of course, and it is reassuring to see traditional horsepower continue to thrive as the inexorable transition to electric propulsion continues.
Seconding this. I grew up with classic muscle cars and LOVE the look of the current Challenger. It's really the only true muscle car left out there now, imho. Mustangs were always my thing in the past, but, as much as it pains me, the new ones don't interest me at all.

But I got a Challenger as a rental while my JK was in the dealership for recall work and... man, I wouldn't mind having one in my stable. Maybe after the Rubicon is paid off...

Jazzman65

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
FCA US Reports First-quarter 2021 U.S. Sales
  • First-quarter retail sales rise 25%
  • Jeep® Wrangler posts best ever first-quarter retail sales
  • Ram brand reports best month of retail sales ever in March
  • Alfa Romeo first-quarter total sales rise 25%
  • Chrysler brand first-quarter total sales increase 32%
  • Dodge muscle cars' retail sales up 29% year over year
  • Dodge Durango retail sales up 61%
April 1, 2021 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reported a 5% increase in first-quarter U.S. total sales, driven by strong retail demand. For the quarter, U.S. sales were 469,651 vehicles, compared with 446,768 for the same period a year earlier. Retail sales rose 25% compared with the first quarter of 2020. Focus on growing the commercial fleet business continues to pay dividends with fleet commercial sales up 24% compared with the first quarter of 2020. Fleet accounted for 19% of total sales for the quarter.

“In spite of what started out as a strong start last year, before COVID shocked us all, this quarter was a very strong rebound for retail sales year over year,” said U.S. Head of Sales Jeff Kommor. “The consumer demand for our brands and our products was extremely strong throughout the quarter.” The Jeep® brand saw its iconic Wrangler post the best ever first-quarter retail sales, following the best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020. Total Wrangler sales rose 25% to 49,646 vehicles. Jeep Gladiator followed suit. Following its best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020, Gladiator posted its best ever first quarter with total sales of 18,822 vehicles, a 23% increase over the same period last year. Gladiator also had its best month of retail and total sales in March since launch.

This is an exciting time for the Jeep brand, with the new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 and the all-new 2021 Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid arriving in dealerships soon. In the second quarter, the Grand Cherokee L will make its debut in dealership showrooms. Customers can also look forward to the all-new 2022 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer arriving in the large SUV segment as a premium extension of the brand.

Ram recorded its best ever first-quarter retail sales. In March, the Ram brand also posted its best ever monthly retail sales. Overall, Ram retail sales rose 28% in the quarter based on strong consumer demand for trucks.

For the first quarter, the Alfa Romeo brand posted a 25% gain in total sales compared with the same period last year, with sales of the Stelvio SUV increasing by 34% and the Giulia sedan by 17%. These results follow 2020 in which the Alfa Romeo brand grew both volume and market share.

Total first-quarter sales of the Chrysler brand increased 32% to 39,737 vehicles, led by the Chrysler Pacifica – America’s most capable minivan. First-quarter retail sales of Pacifica increased 57%, compared to the first quarter of 2020.

Coming off a strong 2020, Dodge Challenger and Charger continue the trend in the first quarter, with retail sales of the muscle cars up 29% year over year. The new 2021 Dodge Durango, the ultimate "no-compromise" SUV, continues to raise the bar, adding to the brand’s success both on the road and in the showroom, turning in a 61% increase in first-quarter retail sales. The top purchase reasons for Dodge vehicles are overall exterior styling, being "fun to drive" and overall power and acceleration, and Kelley Blue Book is recognizing America’s performance brand by naming Dodge the Best Car Styling Brand in the 2021 Brand Image Awards for the third year in a row.

See the attached table for the breakdown of brand and nameplate sales.

Jeep Wrangler JL Q1 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures Sets First-Quarter Record screen-shot-2021-04-09-at-8-39-16-am-
I did my part by buying my first ever Jeep Wrangler in Q1 this year :)

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
I can second that, when it comes to doing everything right on a muscle car platform, Dodge gets it right. I've had 3 Challengers now ('15 SRT 392, 16 Hellcat, and current '19 Hellcat Redeye). Everything is just right in those full sized cars (you can get real people in the back seat of the Challenger). The engines are smooth and strong, exhaust sounds just right, handling and braking (those huge 6 piston Brembos) are spot on. Add in the heated/cooled seats, paddle shifters, and the ability to just light 'em up at will, it's a hoot to drive. Dodge owns this full size segment (you can get a 392 Charger for like $40K, 475HP) as it's a great value for the performance dollar. I hope they keep building them as long as they can.....

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Jeep Wrangler JL Q1 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures Sets First-Quarter Record IMG_4701

Still driving this one too!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
American automakers didn’t do very well. The market overall rebounded 23% from the same period last year; GM was up 6%, FCA was up 5%, and Ford was up barely 0.5%.

With the exception of Hyundai and Toyota, which were up 23% and 25%, in general luxury vehicles sold better than non-luxury. Lexus was up 30%; Mercedes and BMW had their best Q1 ever. Mazda, VW and Subaru did well, too. Honda and Nissan didn’t. Lincoln and Infiniti sales actually shrunk!

This is partly a reflection of how COVID has impacted jobs: white collar jobs were spared while blue collar jobs got hit hard.

Another factor impacting sales unevenly is “Work From Home”. With people not having to commute into work every day, households seem to be adjusting their buying patterns, based more on want than need.

And then there’s the stimulus money, which is likely impacting sales as well. Although not clear yet how.

And now there are chip shortages hitting some plants more than others.
Sponsored