OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Jumping off of the discussion in the MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust thread, (without derailing that thread) I decided to change it up. I've always run MagnaFlow but decided to give the Pypes Cat Back a try on the 2.0L Jeep here.

IMG_8239.jpg

Install took me about an hour and a half total. Overall, pretty happy with it. It's sort of mellow, yet more noisy at idle. Maybe a touch of a drone at 60mph. But it's hard to tell right now with all the doors and roof off. I mostly just hear highway noise.

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

However, I only test drove it about 10 miles. I'm going to produce a sound clip video after I have about 250 miles on it to break it in.

My only complaint at the moment is that I re-used the old ball socket clamp and the one provided does not tighten nearly enough for a good fit. It appears to be the wrong size.

IMG_8247.jpg

There are also two variants of this kit, that I wasn't aware of. I have the stubby.

https://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437305...-2-0-4-cyl-stubby-catback-exhaust-sjj37r.html

But there is another one that goes over the axle. It's a $68 dollar price difference. And I wasn't aware of it at the time I ordered till I got the install directions. All things considered, I might have purchased this version instead. I'll have to see if exhuast smells end up in the cab or not.... TBD

https://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437304...cyl-high-ground-clearance-catback-sjj35r.html
Sponsored

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
A leaky exhaust can be deadly! You canā€™t smell carbon monoxide but it will kill. Probably not a concern with the doors and roof off, but come winter it could be very different. Is saving a few dollars by not getting the right parts worth your life?

OP
OP
OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
A leaky exhaust can be deadly! You canā€™t smell carbon monoxide but it will kill. Probably not a concern with the doors and roof off, but come winter it could be very different. Is saving a few dollars by not getting the right parts worth your life

WTF are you talking about? I already checked for leaks.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Did the butt dyno notice any gains with less restriction post-cat?

Sponsored

hogpowr

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Down for the video clip.
Can you include some, start stop, like at a stop sign, etc?

Thanks for the review.

OP
OP
OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Did the butt dyno notice any gains with less restriction post-cat?
Ya know, i think so. Or this turbo is just awesome. I'm still in a lot of shock that it spins the 37's so effortlessly.

Down for the video clip.
Can you include some, start stop, like at a stop sign, etc?

Thanks for the review.
I will for sure. Ya know, right now, I kind of like it on the street. I went for a very long trail right yesterday, about 10 hours.

When we started on the backroads, I really started hating the exhaust in the morning. Almost thought it was too loud, and droning to much.I knew it would be loud, but I dunno. It was almost headache-inducing at the start.

Whoever said it doesn't drone is lying.

That being said, as the day went on, I'm convinced the exhaust note changed. Felt a lot deeper with more bass. And was not as annoying or pronounced as it was earlier in the day.

I don't know if I hate it or love it yet. Really on the fence here.

I made the fool hearty decision of sawing up and disposing of the OE exhaust before I had even had a chance to let this exhaust break in... so no going back for now.

I'll probably make a video next week. Some street clips, and some off-trail clips and a few in the cab clips.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
4 Door only :(
Yeah, I've been bugging the guys at Pypes about this. Apparently they made both systems thinking it would fit both the two-door and the four-door models just fine but when they went to test them on the two-door they ran into clearance issues. I'm patiently waiting until they come out with something... either that or I may just snag the muffler that comes with this kit and put something together myself. ;) @OffroadTreks thank you so much for this thread! I'm excited to see some videos on how to this sounds at different driving conditions. Drone is my biggest concern considering I have a 45 minute drive into work every day.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah drone is a no go with my JL mainly because we use it for road trips and its my wifeys daily........now it it was my daily, game on.

I have personally not heard a cat back system for the 2.0t that I would install.

At this point, I might get crafty and build my own system. I want to free up the restriction, but keep it quiet......and get that huge f'n muffler from under the bumper.

I have 24/4 access to a plasma cutter, Mig & Tig machines....... I guess I need to buy some pipe and a muffler

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
As a secondary thought......... are the exhaust for the 3.6 that different?

Sponsored

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
As a secondary thought......... are the exhaust for the 3.6 that different?
Axle-back systems are going to fit both engine models, but cat-backs are not. The point where it attaches after the catalytic converter is different between the two engine options.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Axle-back systems are going to fit both engine models, but cat-backs are not. The point where it attaches after the catalytic converter is different between the two engine options.
Ok, sounds like instead of bolt on.......I'll have to weld up a new flange, then it will bolt on.

Otherwise from what I have read, everything else is the same for the 4 door JLs?

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Ok, sounds like instead of bolt on.......I'll have to weld up a new flange, then it will bolt on.

Otherwise from what I have read, everything else is the same for the 4 door JLs?
As far as I'm concerned, yes. Then again I haven't looked into it too deep, so there may be some other really small differences but I can't see it being too dramatic. Just don't quote me on anything. :LOL:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I'm concerned, yes. Then again I haven't looked into it too deep, so there may be some other really small differences but I can't see it being too dramatic. Just don't quote me on anything. :LOL:
Fair enough, I'm just starting the process on it now (research), but I'm also a big fan of gaining ground truth from other owners

OP
OP
OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
From the measurements, I took on the 2.0L I haven't seen any larger mufflers that can fit that eliminates having one out back to smack on rocks. That 48V battery is a real hang up in the way from getting beyond a 12-inch bullet style muffler. If you could find a 14-inch that would probably make a big difference. 16 inches in there would be ideal for quite.
Sponsored