Sponsored

Putting Rubicon wheels and tires on a Sport S - what do I need to know?

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
I'm close to placing an order for a 2021 JL Sport S and I'm leaning towards getting the standard no charge wheel and tire package and then buying some Rubicon take offs. What do I need to know about going down that road? Is it a straight swap at a tire shop, or is there anything that needs to be done or purchased to change the wheels and tires to the factory Rubicon package? Will the TPS from the Sport S wheels work with the Rubi wheels and tires if they don't come along with the purchase? Don't think it matters, but I'll be getting the six speed manual. Just trying to get a handle on what kind of costs I'll incur, aside from buying the wheels and tires of course. Thanks.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I did it. Just put them on, with no worries. . But, for it to look and offroad correctly, add the Rubicon takeoff suspension. I did this, and it looks and wheels great. Not expensive either. Look on the BST section.

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I did it recently with no problem. I definitely want to get an upgraded suspension next and a 1" leveling for the front end. The tire shop replaced the TPMS for about $5/wheel.

20200728_171024.jpg

20200611_203309.jpg

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
I did it recently with no problem. I definitely want to get an upgraded suspension next and a 1" leveling for the front end. The tire shop replaced the TPMS for about $5/wheel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Putting Rubicon wheels and tires on a Sport S - what do I need to know? 20200611_203309

Jeep Wrangler JL Putting Rubicon wheels and tires on a Sport S - what do I need to know? 20200611_203309
Thanks and great pics!

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Just do some kind of lift. 33’s look silly on sports without lifts.
I'm close to placing an order for a 2021 JL Sport S and I'm leaning towards getting the standard no charge wheel and tire package and then buying some Rubicon take offs. What do I need to know about going down that road? Is it a straight swap at a tire shop, or is there anything that needs to be done or purchased to change the wheels and tires to the factory Rubicon package? Will the TPS from the Sport S wheels work with the Rubi wheels and tires if they don't come along with the purchase? Don't think it matters, but I'll be getting the six speed manual. Just trying to get a handle on what kind of costs I'll incur, aside from buying the wheels and tires of course. Thanks.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You may want to have speedo recalibrated too.

as mentioned, looks a little squished with stock suspension. Add rubi suspension ($250 used and $400 install) for a 1-2” lift.

see#448 for my before / after on rubi suspension vs sport stock: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/black-wrangler-jl-club.1754/page-30#post-444112
I think it only reads 2 mph slower than it should. Not enough to worry me.
As for adding the Rubi suspension. $250-300 for good used ones. Installation was under $200. I did have to get a front end alignment though. All worth it. Looks better, and those 2.75-3.0 inches gained, was worth it off road.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Djhyper66

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020 JL
Vehicle Showcase
My 1 month old 2020 Jeep jl sport has 2019 rubicon take off wheels .. that I got off of offerup , had a local shop swap my stock sensors to work on the wheels.. super cheap to do.

3EE57240-5138-4BA4-8FE2-316E016EE905.jpeg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
One word of caution with the 6 speed. We had one so I feel i can give some insight...with the sport gearing and rubicon wheels coupled with the manual transmission, you will loose some performance. i would seriously consider the auto, it’s an incredible transmission and makes these so much fun to drive. They can compensate better for the larger tires. I know they add to the cost, but you’ll recoup it when you sell down the road. I was beat up on the trade because mine was a manual. I was just leary from the JK auto and would rather have the simplicity.

for the rubicon take offs, they just bolt up. No big deal. For the full on sporticon, it’s coils and shocks, rock rails and rear tire carrier. No alignment is needed at all.

brett
Sponsored