Sponsored

Putting Rubicon 4.10 gears in my Sport S?

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a chance to get some 4.10 rubicon take offs. Was wondering what thoughts are on putting those in my Sport S to help with it's sluggish demeanor since moving to 33s.

I have the the Dana m186 on front and m220 on the rear. I do light offroading, and I am more looking to improve the on road capability of my jeep right now. It's a manual and 6th gear is useless, 5th gear can do highway speeds on flat ground only.
Sponsored

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
When you say sluggish, have you re-calibrated the transmission for the larger tires using like a flashcal or tazer? As when i swapped my tires out it was so sluggish but just updating the software to the correct tire size brought it back to pretty much exactly what it was before. Might save you some bother.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have a chance to get some 4.10 rubicon take offs. Was wondering what thoughts are on putting those in my Sport S to help with it's sluggish demeanor since moving to 33s.

I have the the Dana m186 on front and m220 on the rear. I do light offroading, and I am more looking to improve the on road capability of my jeep right now. It's a manual and 6th gear is useless, 5th gear can do highway speeds on flat ground only.
Whole axle swaps right? You cant just swap to rubicon gears they wont fit

OP
OP
UCnight

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you say sluggish, have you re-calibrated the transmission for the larger tires using like a flashcal or tazer? As when i swapped my tires out it was so sluggish but just updating the software to the correct tire size brought it back to pretty much exactly what it was before. Might save you some bother.
Yes, I have a procal, and I changed the tire size. It fixed my speedometer, but did not have any effect on the way it feels like it lost it's guts.

OP
OP
UCnight

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Whole axle swaps right? You cant just swap to rubicon gears they wont fit
That's what I thought as well, but apparently I can get a "carrier" for my current axles that will allow me to regear using the rubicon gears.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I thought as well, but apparently I can get a "carrier" for my current axles that will allow me to regear using the rubicon gears.
No, it will not work, the housing is too small on the front. By carrier they might mean axle assembly. It physically needs a d44 housing

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You cant use the rubicon carrier either in the rear, spline count and axle shank are different lengths too

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest i dont understand why you would t just buy the correct gears and get it done, you have to have a shop install it anyways, and might as well have them do it all in one whack so they cant deny any warranty on it

OP
OP
UCnight

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. Thanks for the info, I'll just look into a regular regearing at my local shop.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Good to know. Thanks for the info, I'll just look into a regular regearing at my local shop.
@Moto_21 knows his stuff...if you dont plan on wheelin your jeep much, makes sense to regear. If you think you may go to larger tires and start wheelin your jeep, now would be the ideal time to swap in takeoff rubi axles with brakes/lockers...thet can be found for $3500.

pubmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Sport
I'm still pretty new to the Jeep world so could you explain further? I swapped over to 34" tires and have also experienced the sluggishness. Will programming the new tire size actually change the shift points? I had thought that it would only correct the speedo, which is not a big problem for me. If so, that is great as I don't really want to spend the money to regear.

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I'm still pretty new to the Jeep world so could you explain further? I swapped over to 34" tires and have also experienced the sluggishness. Will programming the new tire size actually change the shift points? I had thought that it would only correct the speedo, which is not a big problem for me. If so, that is great as I don't really want to spend the money to regear.
Yeah so that is correct, re-calibrating the transmission for the larger tires does adjust the shift points bringing the liveliness back to feel of it. I remember driving off after getting the 33's fitted and it felt so horribly slow, but then used a flashcal to update it and it went back to like 95% of what it felt like before. Annoying you have to spend $200 or so for the flashcal or tazer but well worth it and I understand that dealers will charge about $200 to do it for you.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
@Moto_21 knows his stuff...if you dont plan on wheelin your jeep much, makes sense to regear. If you think you may go to larger tires and start wheelin your jeep, now would be the ideal time to swap in takeoff rubi axles with brakes/lockers...thet can be found for $3500.
I have a sport JLU v6, to run 35's for mainly highway riding and occaisonal trail riding (light) is regearing needed? I currently have 33s and it feels fine. Everything is stock.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I have a sport JLU v6, to run 35's for mainly highway riding and occaisonal trail riding (light) is regearing needed? I currently have 33s and it feels fine. Everything is stock.
Manny or auto? You notice the sluggishness more with the former.
Sponsored