First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Its not normal. My JL had this but it had gotten progressively worse as time went on. It was the last straw in my many issues that made me trade it in. The delay from shifting to Reverse to actually being able to reverse was also getting longer.

hollywood323

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Found a fix! Go straight to D then lightly take foot off brake....to have light movement of car! Then put it in reverse no more loud noise!

Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I too started have this same issues on my wifes 2019 JLUR with 25,000 miles. It first started about 15,000 miles and gradually got worse. I did not notice it because I did not drive it as often as she does. I have a 2020 JLUR.

This loud bang now happens every time she shifts from park to reverse, on a flat surface and when the engine is cold. This does not happen after the vehicle has warmed up.

It gets dropped off at the stealership on March 1st for this issue, the steering issue and the 8.4 freezing and constantly resetting.

My best guess is that we will have it back some time around December.

I will update with what I am told, but here is my prediction for the loud banging noise when shifting into reverse.

1. Cannot duplicate problem
or
2. Normal characteristic of vehicle.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same here.
Have you visited your servicing Jeep dealer to have them take a look? Please connect with us through private message if you would like additional assistance.

I too started have this same issues on my wifes 2019 JLUR with 25,000 miles. It first started about 15,000 miles and gradually got worse. I did not notice it because I did not drive it as often as she does. I have a 2020 JLUR.

This loud bang now happens every time she shifts from park to reverse, on a flat surface and when the engine is cold. This does not happen after the vehicle has warmed up.

It gets dropped off at the stealership on March 1st for this issue, the steering issue and the 8.4 freezing and constantly resetting.

My best guess is that we will have it back some time around December.

I will update with what I am told, but here is my prediction for the loud banging noise when shifting into reverse.

1. Cannot duplicate problem
or
2. Normal characteristic of vehicle.
We're sorry to learn that you have these vehicle concerns. Please let us know if you would like support while in service on March 1st.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I did take my Jeep to the dealership as indicated above and they were able to duplicate the issue. Their response, "This is not normal." The remedy. Replace the rear drive shaft. I don't know, I said .......OK.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As this hasn't been mentioned since the thread's October 2018 origin:

Both my salesman, and comments in related threads, mention that the vehicle should not be moving at all when shifting the 850RE between P, R and D.

Likely all of you know this, and recognize unnaturally loud shift sounds when they occur; I just thought I'd add it.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
As this hasn't been mentioned since the thread's October 2018 origin:

Both my salesman, and comments in related threads, mention that the vehicle should not be moving at all when shifting the 850RE between P, R and D.

Likely all of you know this, and recognize unnaturally loud shift sounds when they occur; I just thought I'd add it.
My Jeep does it sitting completely still, and then shift into reverse; but ONLY when cold.

Sponsored

bn13Cooper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited ~Granite
I had the same problem last summer. I brought it to the dealership and right away they diagnosed the problem. The transmission knuckle was bad...apparently this is a known issue.

they ordered a new one, put it in, and they couldnā€™t get the transmission to ā€œtalkā€ to it. They ended up replacing the entire transmission with only 38k miles.

JDyj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 1990 YJ (sold) / 2012 Challenger R/T
Same exact issue on my ā€˜19 JLUR, 3.6L. Flat ground, cold start, putting it in reverse.

Noticed it around 10k and now it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Just turned over 17k the other day.

Itā€™s cringing to hear every time it happens. I swear it feels like something in the driveline is going to snap.

Last edited:

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
2021 here with 1500 miles with the same noise. It only happens when itā€™s a cold start, in both D and R. All other times itā€™s smooth. My jk did the same thing and I never had any issues. I honestly thought it was normal until I saw this thread

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I don't know if it is going to fix the issue, but my rear drive shaft will be replaced next week. I'll post an update when I pick up the Jeep.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I don't know if it is going to fix the issue, but my rear drive shaft will be replaced next week. I'll post an update when I pick up the Jeep.
[/QUOTE thatā€™d be awesome, hopefully it does!
Sponsored