shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Hi everyone,

I recently installed an aftermarket radio (the Alpine iLX-W650) and I've been able to fix all the little errors except one. When trying to start the vehicle, I get the "key fob not detected" error, but can eventually start the engine by pressing the fob directly into the button. Some notes from my troubleshooting:
  • I'm 99% certain it's not an issue with the fobs themselves; neither one is detected, and it's pretty unlikely both just happened to die at exactly the same time after a stereo swap
  • Every other function of the fob works, e.g. locks (I've read other threads where people say their remote locks don't work, which isn't the case here)
  • When I press the start button on the vehicle, the LED on the fob itself lights up; this tells me the fob is doing its part, but something in the Jeep itself isn't recognizing the start command
  • After opening/closing a door, I get the "key fob has left the vehicle warning;" usually this seems to be a battery issue, but I've pretty much ruled that out
  • I don't think it's an interference issue, as the issue persists even when I'm in a pretty rural area (unless the new stereo itself is causing interference)
My gut feeling is that the issue is somewhere in the Jeep's computer, possibly requiring a flash. One step I'd like to try would be to re-flash the computer as if adding a new key fob; has anyone had to do that before? And how simple is it? I have a Tazer JL Mini, but it doesn't look like that's one of its functions.

If anyone has other ideas/tips, please let me know! To clarify, the Jeep is totally still drivable, I just have to press the fob into the start button which is a minor annoyance.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Have you tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes. I received that error a few months ago and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery worked.

OP
OP
shadowhunter22

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Have you tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes. I received that error a few months ago and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery worked.
I tried that a few different times, one time left it disconnected for a whole hour, still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sponsored