Sponsored

Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group?

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Having been in 2 accidents where my cars were totaled and not my fault and not avoidable I want my airbags to work when needed. Quite a few aftermarket bumpers can compromise the airbag function.

As far as rear bumpers not surviving “coming down on a rock”, aren’t you bolting the after market bumper to the same frame/brackets that the factory bumper is bolted to? Seems like you’d have to create an entire mounting system tied into the frame for the after market bumper to not deflect. Guessing 5% of the Jeeps out there come down on a rock with the rear bumper.

I had the Garvin rear bumper on my 13’ Rubicon 2 door, it was kind of a PIA adding weight and making rear access annoying but it was still bolted to the factory brackets.

A38695CD-E29F-4AB3-A110-9F4D7B20B9B8.jpeg
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Having been in 2 accidents where my cars were totaled and not my fault and not avoidable I want my airbags to work when needed. Quite a few aftermarket bumpers can compromise the airbag function.

As far as rear bumpers not surviving “coming down on a rock”, aren’t you bolting the after market bumper to the same frame/brackets that the factory bumper is bolted to? Seems like you’d have to create an entire mounting system tied into the frame for the after market bumper to not deflect. Guessing 5% of the Jeeps out there come down on a rock with the rear bumper.

I had the Garvin rear bumper on my 13’ Rubicon 2 door, it was kind of a PIA adding weight and making rear access annoying but it was still bolted to the factory brackets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? A38695CD-E29F-4AB3-A110-9F4D7B20B9B8
No, the factory rear brackets come off and go in the trash along with that pos bumper. Aftermarket bumpers usually bolt directly to the frame.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Seems to be a mixed opinion on whether the steel bumpers offer better safety or if there's no difference from the standard factory.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I got it because I have a winch. I had an aftermarket mounting plate that sat on top of the plastic bumper for my 2020. But it covered the front grill entirely and didn’t look too great. So now on my 2021 I want the winch to sit nicely in the bumper and show off that beautiful grill. Plus the bumper itself looks pretty sweet

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Honestly, I wish you could get steel up front and keep the plastic rear bumper.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? A38695CD-E29F-4AB3-A110-9F4D7B20B9B8
The given strength of a specific piece of steel is a combination of thickness and shape. If the goal is to be as lightweight as possible, shape becomes more important. The U-shaped rear bumper is designed to take a hit from directly behind. But that same shape is weak by nature, when hit from below or above. Also, those stamped steel brackets on the ends are only for giving rigidity to the plastic filler panels. They do not add strength to the bumper itself.

Aftermarket bumpers are specifically designed to have more cantilever strength to resist flexing from hits that come from both behind and below.

A quick example of the strength of shape when used properly, can be found with a simple tape measure. If extended out with the concaved number side up, it will support a few feet worth of length. But turn it sideways and it will only hold a fraction of that length before failing to support itself.

Growing up in truck and heavy equipment repair has included a lot of structural issues over the years.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Personally I'd skip the OEM steel bumpers and save your money for aftermarket steel bumpers that will look way better and perform a lot better than OEM. I'm also not a fan of the "OEM look". It's so boring, plain and just cheap looking IMO 🤷

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Personally I'd skip the OEM steel bumpers and save your money for aftermarket steel bumpers that will look way better and perform a lot better than OEM. I'm also not a fan of the "OEM look". It's so boring, plain and just cheap looking IMO 🤷
Lucky all of the OEM bumper people have thick skins.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
How do you feel about angry grills?

Sponsored

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
I changed out the OEM bumpers on two previous jeeps. This time around I'm pretty much keeping the Rubicon stock so the Steel Bumper Group was a great option to upgrade the bumper from the factory.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Why would a jeep have plastic bumper’s?