Sponsored

Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group?

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
What would be the purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group?
Sponsored

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
To get poorer gas mileage due to the extra weight - LOL. On a serious note, I ordered them because I feel they’ll be more durable than the plastic bumpers … and they won’t fade. Also, the steel front bumper is a 3-piece. Meaning you can unbolt the end pieces to remove them in order to allow more clearance for larger tires if you want to go that route.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Not a lot other then it look much more rugged. I passed on it when ordering my 2021 JLUR last week because I will buy one of the knock offs on EBay. Bought one for my 2020 JLUR and it was equally in build and looks to the overpriced factory bumper.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You get to spend $700,00 more so you can recoup 200.00 selling it used to put towards $1000.00 on aftermarket and better looking bumpers

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
To finance the cost of a bumper to host your winch.
But seriously, if I knew what I know now I may have skipped it. If I made less money than I do now I would keep it. It does well by having the 3 piece design, but at the end of the day a custom bumper would be better. Especially on the rear with a tire carrier. If you have it already, there are enough options you don’t have to throw away your investment. I went Maximus-3 with my winch plate and plan to do the same for a tire carrier that doesn’t require a new bumper.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you're not planning on going aftermarket with the bumpers, then the steel factory option is better than the cheap plastic ones. The modular 3-piece design of the front is kinda nice for a stock bumper, too.

If you're planning on installing anything aftermarket for the bumpers, though, skip it. It's a waste of money if you're just going to take them off. Plus the foglight brackets are weird in the steel bumper and require adapters to fit most aftermarket bumpers.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
To have a winch capable more rugged bumper with removable end caps in the front, and an equally more rugged rear bumper with all the integrated sensors that Jeep makes available.

Also, it is the only metal bumper that was designed with crash performance in mind and to perform well in crash tests.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
To have actual functional bumpers. The plastic ones only play a bumper on TV. So the real question is why not get the steel bumper group?

The answer to that is so you have a street legal vehicle with bare minimum disposable bumpers unil you install real bumpers that actually protect things in a collision. You should never get the plastic bumpers and intend to keep them.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Same like others said:

-Full functioning bumper that will survive a minor accident as posted above
-Flexibility to remove sides if clearance becomes an issue
-Able to add winch and bull bar or light in ready made bolts
-Less urgency to worry about going aftermarket so I can spend more time researching what I really want
-Decent resale value when ready to sell

I'm a first time Jeeper so figured the steel is good for now while I spend money on lift and tires. Feel it's too unsafe to use plastic for a while plus the plastic has that cheaper color and look
Sponsored