Sponsored

Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Why would a jeep have plastic bumper’s?
There you go OP, another great and interesting thread to create for us!

Purpose of ordering the Plastic Bumper Group?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I am with you, looking to stick with stock at this point.

I changed out the OEM bumpers on two previous jeeps. This time around I'm pretty much keeping the Rubicon stock so the Steel Bumper Group was a great option to upgrade the bumper from the factory.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
You get to spend $700,00 more so you can recoup 200.00 selling it used to put towards $1000.00 on aftermarket and better looking bumpers
That’s what I did :facepalm:

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Honestly, I wish you could get steel up front and keep the plastic rear bumper.
I ordered mine (and took delivery) with the plastic bumper group. Couldn't justify the $1700 steel bumper cost, without a winch plate.
Ordered a front steel aftermarket one, even before I took delivery. $450 from Amazon. Steel bumper (almost stock match), removable end caps, fog lights, winch plate, d-ring hooks, bull bar, flip up license plate holder.
No drill, bolt on.
Installed it today. Haven’t wired up the winch yet, and have a new synthetic line fit it, too.
Yes, there is a Smittybilt 9500 winch in the bumper!

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? 060BF877-061A-4EB4-B04E-3C8190D3BD26

Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine (and took delivery) with the plastic bumper group. Couldn't justify the $1700 steel bumper cost, without a winch plate.
Ordered a front steel aftermarket one, even before I took delivery. $450 from Amazon. Steel bumper (almost stock match), removable end caps, fog lights, winch plate, d-ring hooks, bull bar, flip up license plate holder.
No drill, bolt on.
Installed it today. Haven’t wired up the winch yet, and have a new synthetic line fit it, too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? 060BF877-061A-4EB4-B04E-3C8190D3BD26
link to that Amazon bumper?

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
No drill, bolt on.

Looks great. I'm not much of a mechanic; was it easy to install the fog lights in the bumper ? I definitely want one..

Sponsored

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Looks great. I'm not much of a mechanic; was it easy to install the fog lights in the bumper ? I definitely want one..
It comes with fog lights installed. Plugs into factory harness. I left them in, but plan to put the factory ones in, better lights. There are brackets for the factory lights.
Install isn’t bad, no instructions, but not too hard to figure out. Getting the winch plate, winch, and bumper on all at once is challenging. Overall easy.
Planning to do a write-up, if I ever find the time. How to and some pics.
The winch mount bracket in place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? D7F41058-3B82-4486-9AA7-1D760B040F4C

Mall Crawler Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I'm looking forward to your writeup. I'm guessing you HAVE to put on the winch and plate before you mount the bumber?
Thanks

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I'm looking forward to your writeup. I'm guessing you HAVE to put on the winch and plate before you mount the bumber?
Thanks
The winch plate uses the bumper bolts for mounting. The winch brackets only have 1 bolt to the frame. The winch has to be on the mount BEFORE the bumper goes on.
You could mount the winch on the plate, hang that plate on the bumper bolts, and then slide them in place on the frame. Would require 2 people.
Bumper and stuff is just over 100 lbs, then add the winch weight.
I mounted the winch plate using the brackets, put 2 bolts in where the bumper bolts go, and mounted the winch. Floor Jack under the winch plate, the 2 bolts out, and worked the bumper on. Took a few tries, but got it hung and nuts on.

Mall Crawler Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
The winch plate uses the bumper bolts for mounting. The winch brackets only have 1 bolt to the frame. The winch has to be on the mount BEFORE the bumper goes on.
You could mount the winch on the plate, hang that plate on the bumper bolts, and then slide them in place on the frame. Would require 2 people.
Bumper and stuff is just over 100 lbs, then add the winch weight.
I mounted the winch plate using the brackets, put 2 bolts in where the bumper bolts go, and mounted the winch. Floor Jack under the winch plate, the 2 bolts out, and worked the bumper on. Took a few tries, but got it hung and nuts on.

I took the grill and the bull bar off and I was able to get the winch it. However, the winch plate holes didn't line up with the winch. Anyway, it's in and works. Thanks so much for your help.
Steve
Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? Screenshot_20210523-102815_Gallery

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I took the grill and the bull bar off and I was able to get the winch it. However, the winch plate holes didn't line up with the winch. Anyway, it's in and works. Thanks so much for your help.
Steve
Glad it worked out. My Smittybilt winch bolted right up. Used the slotted set oh holes.
I’m taking mine back off to wire up the winch and put the factory fog lights in.
Sponsored