Sponsored

Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group?

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you plan on doing some offroading but don't want to mess with aftermarket bumpers than the steel bumper Group would be a good purchase IMO. The OEM steel front bumper can have a winch mounted to it and a small brush bar as well. You can also take off the end caps to make it a stubby and provide more clearance for the front of your tires. Having a steel rear bumper will provide extra protection when coming down off obstacles.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also since it's a stamped steel bumper it's not too heavy vs. most other aftermarket options, and the stubby setup w/ the low profile bull bar looks pretty badass!

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
At least here in Australia if you order the steel bumper (you can only get the front) you get the front trail cam as part of the package and the mesh from the JT for the grill to allow this to fit. You so miss out on the front mounted park bench though ;)

Sponsored

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
As others mentioned it is winch capable just Add the plate, that’s why I got it

also I do believe the steel bumper group comes with different springs to offset the weight, as a resultif you don’t get it and go the after market bumper route you will have more sag than if you just take the steel bumper group and toss your own winch in

plus if you want to take the end caps off for more clearance or a different look from time to time it takes 5 minutes

not to mention I think it just looks better!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I ordered the steel bumpers for a few reasons.

1. To get a winch mount capable bumper.
  2. To have the winch mount low for both center of gravity and for airflow into the grill.
  3. The bumper caps come off so it's not full width.
  4. Good aftermarket bumpers front and rear cost more than ordering them. And cheaper aftermarket bumpers exist but aren't worth the money.
  5. While installing aftermarket bumpers is just an afternoon of work, it's an afternoon I can spend doing something else.
  6. I'm a function over form Jeeper. If it gets the job done, I'm mostly indifferent to how it actually looks.
I fully get why people like aftermarket bumpers on their Jeeps. I had them on my JK that I used to own, they're on my XJ, and they're going on my MJ. But the JL factory steel bumpers work for me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the steel bumper group when I ordered mine, because in my opinion the front compliments the overall look of the Jeep, while also acting as a stout foundation to add recovery and lighting. I went into it knowing that the rear was going to be replaced with something that would better stand up against being dragged off of ledges without hitting the body.

Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? 20210128_132835_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Purpose of ordering the Steel Bumper Group? 20210211_132351_resized

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I ordered them because I do like the look of the front bumper (after removing the wings) and I wanted my winch to tuck down in between the frame. I also swapped the lower front skid with a JCR offroad one so it's more durable.

I will try to sell the rear (or take it to the landfill) once I figure out what rear bumper I want. I am avoiding sliding off of ledges until then as I know it won't save anything, but in fact it will damage the body.

-Tom

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Ours came with steel bumpers from the factory with the Recon package. I don't see much use for them except if someone bumps into it like they did with our old JK and plastic bumpers they will probably come out on the losing end this time.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Ok so that's the first reasonable explanation I have heard.

Also, the steel front bumper is a 3-piece. Meaning you can unbolt the end pieces to remove them in order to allow more clearance for larger tires if you want to go that route.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes I will give you the looks are superior but I'm already inexpensive vehicle another $2,000 for simply the bumper is hard to justify. Aftermarket seems far more appropriate..

Not a lot other then it look much more rugged. I passed on it when ordering my 2021 JLUR last week because I will buy one of the knock offs on EBay. Bought one for my 2020 JLUR and it was equally in build and looks to the overpriced factory bumper.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Meaningful explanation. Thanks!

If you plan on doing some offroading but don't want to mess with aftermarket bumpers than the steel bumper Group would be a good purchase IMO. The OEM steel front bumper can have a winch mounted to it and a small brush bar as well. You can also take off the end caps to make it a stubby and provide more clearance for the front of your tires. Having a steel rear bumper will provide extra protection when coming down off obstacles.