Sponsored

Purpose of insulated plastic cover on top of 3.6L 2021 JLUR?

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
What is the purpose of the insulated plastic cover on top of the 3.6L engine. This cover is approx. 2ft x 1.5ft x 3in thick and takes up a lot of space. I would like to discard this cover to make room for installation of an ARB air compressor. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you.
George
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
There’s really no purpose other than aesthetics, so it won’t hurt anything removing it.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
It will cause the spectrimiscopic range reflecter to be out of phase with minierizer unit. It will void warranty, especially if you drive through mud... Is this a JT?:idea:

OP
OP
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s really no purpose other than aesthetics, so it won’t hurt anything removing it.
Thank you; did not expect such a rapid response; but confirmed my suspicions. I am new to this forum even though I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, but it has only been a town car.
Since my real off-road buggy (1958 volks.) is has become slightly unreliable I just bought a 2021 JLUR (1 Month ago) and am finding this to be a whole new set of challenges.
Thanks again.
George

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Thank you; did not expect such a rapid response; but confirmed my suspicions. I am new to this forum even though I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, but it has only been a town car.
Since my real off-road buggy (1958 volks.) is has become slightly unreliable I just bought a 2021 JLUR (1 Month ago) and am finding this to be a whole new set of challenges.
Thanks again.
George
Welcome to the forum! These Jeeps are definitely an interesting challenge sometimes. :CWL:

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Like others have said its mainly a noise damper, other than that's its just big old hunk of plastic.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Some say it insulates engine heat from the hood to prevent paint bubbling from prolonged exposure to high temperatures (not verified however)

Also reduces engine noise.

OP
OP
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again to all of you.
That piece of plastic is now history.
If the paint bubbles, then it is bad paint and Jeep should do better.
If there is more engine noise, I probably won't notice; at this age I am hard of hearing anyway.
George
Sponsored