Purpose of a Cold Air Intake?

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Stupid questions- What's the purpose of a cold air intake? Is it worth getting as an option when ordering?
Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Cold air = denser air = more oxygen = better fuel burn = more power.

worth it? :whatsgoingon:

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the science behind a cold air intake, but after having put one on a few of my previous cars, I saw a barely noticeable difference in fuel efficiency, horse power gains, etc., and more often than not, the claims that the manufacturers made weren’t very accurate. Just my two cents...

OP
OP
jrob529

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the science behind a cold air intake, but after having put one on a few of my previous cars, I saw a barely noticeable difference in fuel efficiency, horse power gains, etc., and more often than not, the claims that the manufacturers made weren’t very accurate. Just my two cents...
I was wondering about the fuel efficiency claims. I figured if it was noticeable difference in MPG, the manufacturer would include with the standard equipment.

OP
OP
jrob529

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cold air = denser air = more oxygen = better fuel burn = more power.

worth it? :whatsgoingon:
More power is a positive but does it reduce the fuel economy? I'm assuming so because if it didn't it would be included as standard equipment.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Check this out. Looks like we now know why some CAI makers are not making horsepower claims. It also looks like Jeep's engineers know their engine and exactly what it needs. I was intrigued by the CAI mainly for improved sound, but wouldn't pull the trigger for two reasons. 1, the air filtration is not as good for an off-road vehicle in a dusty environment, and 2., because the Jeep's intake design is optimized to resist water intrusion.

This is just the S&B, but I think it makes the point. It lost both horsepower and torque to the OEM setup. I also ain't buying the idea that it would regain the lost power rolling down the highway as opposed to being on the dyno. The stock setup would benefit there, as well.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Typically its a small bump in horsepower, 5-20hp, so unless you put it on a dyno at full throttle you probably won't notice on everyday driving. Claims will always vary from manufactures, but these are about performance gains (in numbers) more than MPG. Sometimes you do get a bump in MPGs but most people use it for the performance gain, and most beneficial when coupled with other performance modifications. And best done with a tune; any car from the factory is designed to run a max efficiency with stock components. Also be careful in a Jeep with a cold air intake if you plan to do any off-roading around water as the exposed air box can suck in water.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar CAI.
From a seat of the pants dyno there’s something there, maybe not a lot but just enough to be noticeable. I can confidently say I notice no difference in fuel economy one way or the other.

As it utilizes the stock lower airbox and the top part seems to be a cosmetic change only I don’t foresee any water ingress issues. If I think it’s going to rain/snow heavily or I plan off-roading with known water crossings/deep puddles I pop the hood and reattach the flap (pics in my build thread, link in my signature). From those same pics you’ll see the airtube has a visibly smoother path from the airbox to the throttle body - from a previous life with supercharged cars I do know that having less air turbulence is a good thing.

YMMV

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Worst part about CAIs is they tend to rob low end torque for higher rpm horsepower gains. Not much of a problem for motors that have decent low end torque but the Pentastar isn't one of them :(
If sound or the look of one in your engine bay is your main objective then maybe, but otherwise I'd take a hard pass.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Worst part about CAIs is they tend to rob low end torque for higher rpm horsepower gains. Not much of a problem for motors that have decent low end torque but the Pentastar isn't one of them :(
If sound or the look of one in your engine bay is your main objective then maybe, but otherwise I'd take a hard pass.
The S&B robbed both in that video.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'll give you the real reason, people like the sound .....

Claims of horsepower are nonsense, if it added any it would be such a small amount that it would not be noticeable.

When adding an CAI to get the HP you would need a tune, same if you added an exhaust. HP doesn't just magically happen, the ecu has to be tuned to be able to take advantage of the higher airflow.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
To add.....You should stay away from any CAI which has an oiled filter. While they do allow more airflow, it comes at a cost of filtering efficiency. Every oiled filter will allow more air to pass through. As that air travels through the filter, small particles of dust/dirt are also passing through. In addition, it is common for the oil to also migrate it's way into the air intake tube and into the throttle body.

The combination of poor filtration and oil buildup in the throttle body will cause drivability problems at a minimum. If allowed to continue, these particles will enter your engine and lead to premature bearing failure.

If you absolutely have to have a CAI, stick with a dry filter.

Ultimately, you won't see any performance benefit unless you also tune it to take advantage of the additional air flow. Spend your money on mods which will actually make a difference or benefit you off-road.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Stupid questions- What's the purpose of a cold air intake? Is it worth getting as an option when ordering?
Waste of money. On a naturally aspirated V8 they might give you a gnarlier vroooom sound, but that’s it. They can cause issues (water/dust ingress), and are a bad idea.

On a V6 or Turbo 4cyl, you’re not going to get a gnarly vroom sound no matter what. Even if you slap an expensive catback exhaust on there it’s going to sound, at best, like one of those “stanced” Acura/Honda shit boxes that buzz around like mosquitoes.

That’s my not so humble opinion. :)

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have the mopar CAI and did notice a mileage increase after installing the hood vent. HP increase is minimal, i would expect no more than 10hp from one. Slightly more grumble at low rpms.

I did it for the looks, just like most here spend $5,000 on a lift and rims without batting an eye.

The factory installed CAI does not include the hood vent install though. In case you are thinking about that option.
Sponsored