Sponsored

Purchasing my first Jeep...and need some advice.

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
@Notorious, it isn't just the locker either. You have to purchase a air compressor too and then have it all installed. Plus there is a bracket and probably hose and who knows what else.

I spoke to a guy at Dallas Offroad about this today and the cost is anywhere from 2K to 2.5K including installation.

Anyone in the DFW area have any experience with these guys? They have a very good Google rating; but I would really enjoy hearing about any personal experiences anyone has had with Dallas Offroad.
Sponsored

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. The information you provided and the back and forth discussion has helped me immensely and I am very appreciative.

I have decided to purchase the 2021 JLU Willy's as this has all the equipment I need for now. I am still torn between the AT and the MT. I have driven a MT Rubicon and a local dealer should have a Willy's MT available to test drive sometime this week. Oh, I still need to pick a color too.

Having said that...I hope to have my new Jeep on order either later this week or next week.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon is really set up for heavy offroading, and is an over kill for anything else really. For general offroading, the other two models are just fine, but do get the optional Limited-Slip on them. I highly recommend getting a winch as well. Jeeps still get stuck. ;)

The Rubicon's come w/lower gearing, both w/their transfer case (4:1 vs. 2:1), and w/their axles (4.10 vs. 3.43)

The Rubicon's come w/the Lockers (Front and Rear Axles), which can only be engaged in 4Lo only, offroad on dirt or when climbing rocks and such. They literally lock both wheels on the axles, and allow for no slippage. The Limited-Slip (Rear Axle Only) on the other models, allow for slippage, and thus can be used everywhere, pavement (dry, snow, rain, dirt), in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo. The Lockers do just that, they lock, while the limited-slip allows for slippage using a clutch mechanism.

Putting BIG oversized offroad tires/wheels are going to cost you in power, fuel mileage, and noise. To correct the power curve, you will need to change the axle gearing to a lower gear. The Rubicon come w/4.10's while the other models come w/3.43's. Most people put the bigger tires/wheels on because they look cool. You will also need to raise the suspension in order to allow for tire clearance. Otherwise, the stock tires/wheels will do just fine in most conditions offroad.

Also, is your Jeep going to be your primary transportation vs, just a being a weekend toy. If it is going to be your primary vehicle, be careful about using it offroad, as well as any mods you do to it. You damage it, you will have to pay for the repairs and such. Warranty and Insurance won't cover anything. On the other hand, if it is to be your toy, and you can afford losing it, then go for it. ;)

Finally, this is just only my opinion, from the years I've be offroading. Others will have theirs as well. ;)

Good Luck!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Warranty and Insurance won't cover anything.
The correct answer is... it depends. Depending on the Insurance carrier, and if it’s a maintained trail (state, county, public), and as long as it’s not a race/competition event, and most specify if a lift is installed above a certain height over stock.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Don't compromise on the manual transmission if you are a fan of shifting your own. Even the best automatics in the world cannot replace a manual and its 3 pedals. The manual in the JL is fantastic, IMO, and more car-like than truck-like if that makes sense.

This^. Well said Mark!

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
The correct answer is... it depends. Depending on the Insurance carrier, and if it’s a maintained trail (state, county, public), and as long as it’s not a race/competition event, and most specify if a lift is installed above a certain height over stock.
Even then, I'd be careful, because you won't be sure until you actually need your insurance. You're taking a risk.

As for warranty, I would imagine using strictly Jeep manufactured parts, as well as having a Jeep dealership install, would be your best option when it comes to lift kits and such, though one dealership may not agree w/another on that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty coverage also depends on the dealer.

Some dealers will honor all legitimate warranty claims, even if your Jeep goes off-road and has —unrelated— mods.

But a growing number of dealers are turning into total dickheads and denying warranty work under any excuse. The more obvious your mods, the more likely these dealers will deny you warranty work.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Go with option 3. You'll be happy with the Rubicon (and 6sp MT).
I thought for a long time before deciding, like others wrote, to get it from the factory-installed up front rather than add it later.
Do you need all the capabilities? Probably not. Until you do...

Have fun!

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Don't compromise on the manual transmission if you are a fan of shifting your own. Even the best automatics in the world cannot replace a manual and its 3 pedals. The manual in the JL is fantastic, IMO, and more car-like than truck-like if that makes sense.

This^. Well said Mark!
I will add an upvote for the MT in the Rubicon. In 4LO on the trails you just let off the clutch and it drives itself. In fact, the 4:1 ratio is so good that unless I am rock crawling, I don't go any lower than 3rd gear from a dead stop and the engine just pulls it wherever I want to go. To me, that's one of the biggest benefits of the Rubi. I hardly ever use the lockers or e-sway disconnect.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S

FYI you can get a soft top 2-door just like a 4-door. The soft top is the default top for both.

If you're not going to use the Rubicon capabilities, don't pay all the extra for the Rubicon trim. Everyone here will talk to you about resale and regret but why pay thousands and thousands more money than you need to for what will amount to cooler wheels, A/T or M/T tires, and a fancy hood. Slightly different fenders.

I have a basic Sport S 4-door with the only option on top of the S package is my hard top. I bought a soft top and performance rock rails aftermarket. I don't have an LSD and even after snowy Ohio winter I didn't think I need it. Plus, there's more than a couple people with axle problems that have the LSD. Not the case for the open diffs.

If you aren't going to use the capaibilities, don't buy a Rubicon. You can always add them to a Sport later. Save your money unless you know for sure you're going to actually exceed the capabilities of a stock Sport S with an open differential.
100% agree with this. ^^^^ Any Wrangler is going to be exceptionally capable. They just are. And I loved the Rubi, but knew I’d never actually use its capability. JLU Sport S was perfect for me...I’m not into rock-crawling...especially not in a $50K vehicle. Just couldn’t handle it if I dented/scratched/damaged it. But i do take it “off pavement“ hunting/fishing and NM/Colo mountain trails. And I take it skiing in the winter. I upgraded tires immediately to 34” Terra Graplers (I think that is the size...slightly bigger than stock, but no lift or spacers or whatever). And I took it in for the clutch recall just as a precaution. Nothing was wrong...great before, still does. I’ve had it for 15K miles and love it. No squeaks, steering issues, mystery reving RPM’s, wind noise or any of the normal complaints. (not calling bs on anyone...just not my experience). Manual transmission was a must for me. I just like it better. Get what you want. But nothing feels worse than a bad deal. Save up, pay cash, and enjoy life.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A disappointing experience is the norm for most Jeep dealers. They aim to disappoint! If you had a great experience, now that would have been noteworthy...
Jeep Wrangler JL Purchasing my first Jeep...and need some advice. cwl

In fairness, it takes an advanced degree --which dealers don't have-- to figure out exactly what is included and what isn't given the million possible permutations when configuring a Jeep. And just as to make sure dealers never learn anything, FCA keeps changing around the powertrain combinations, options, editions, packages and prices every few days.

I swear, if Wranglers weren't so addictive Jeep --and FCA-- would be out of business already.

FWIW, I believe the CAI is a dealer installed option. In which case the dealer forgot to install it. Or, most likely, they are completely unaware that they had to do it...