Sponsored

Purchasing my first Jeep...and need some advice.

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am planning my first Jeep purchase, a 2021 JLU. First of all, I'm going to apologize in advance if I have placed this in the wrong section; I wasn't certain where it best fit, so I chose to start here.

I'm looking at three build options:
  • a JLU Sport S with the 3.6L V6 and 6spMT
  • a JLU Willy's with the 3.6L V6 and 6spMT
  • a JLU Rubicon with the 3.6L V6 and 6spMT
The standard equipment lists each as having the M220 rear axle. Obviously, the Sport S is with an open diff, the Willy's with a LSD, and the Rubicon with an electronic locker. The Rubicon is a stretch for me financially and I am not comfortable putting myself in a compromised financial position. If I were to go with the Rubicon, I would want to save at least another 6 months or so. The Sport S and Willy's are more in the range I want to spend.

My want is an electronic rear locker. My questions are these:
  • Is the Jeep website correct in stating all three have the M220 rear axle?
  • If so, is there a fairly cost effective way to add a factory electric locker to either the Sport S or Willy's?

I have researched the MOPAR parts so I know I can purchase an assembled M220 complete with the electronic locker. All I would need to add is the wiring harness and, if I wanted it, the same switch that comes with Rubicon. The parts for this are about 3K; I'm not sure what labor would run. But do I need to purchase this whole assembly if I already have a M220? Is it possible to purchase, through MOPAR I would assume, the electronic locker itself, the wiring harness, and switch?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is the Jeep website correct in stating all three have the M220 rear axle?
No. The Rubicon axle is the M220 Wide Axle, it is three inches wider. you can add an air locker fairly easily to a Willy's, and a sport should never ever be ordered without the LSD.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am planning my first Jeep purchase, a 2021 JLU. First of all, I'm going to apologize in advance if I have placed this in the wrong section; I wasn't certain where it best fit, so I chose to start here.

The standard equipment lists each as having the M220 rear axle. Obviously, the Sport S is with an open diff, the Willy's with a LSD, and the Rubicon with an electronic locker. The Rubicon is a stretch for me financially and I am not comfortable putting myself in a compromised financial position. If I were to go with the Rubicon, I would want to save at least another 6 months or so. The Sport S and Willy's are more in the range I want to spend.

• If so, is there a fairly cost effective way to add a factory electric locker to either the Sport S or Willy's?

I have researched the MOPAR parts so I know I can purchase an assembled M220 complete with the electronic locker. All I would need to add is the wiring harness and, if I wanted it, the same switch that comes with Rubicon. The parts for this are about 3K; I'm not sure what labor would run. But do I need to purchase this whole assembly if I already have a M220? Is it possible to purchase, through MOPAR I would assume, the electronic locker itself, the wiring harness, and switch?

I’m in your neck of the woods.
I’ll sell you mine. Meet me at the dealership tomorrow morning. You can have it when they are done fixing all of the issues before 10k miles. It’s never been off-road.

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mwilk012, two questions for you -
  • what is the benefit of the wider axle?
  • what is it about the Willy's that makes it easier to add a locker over the Sport S?
I'm asking as the Sport S is about 2K less than the similarly equipped Willy's. Wouldn't it be better to take that money and add the locker to the Sport S? Would I not end up owing a Jeep with the same capabilities?

@ToPar9, I appreciate your offer and I not opposed to looking for a used JLU once I better understand the various configurations available. However, I certainly do not want one with issues.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
  • what is it about the Willy's that makes it easier to add a locker over the Sport S?
I'm asking as the Sport S is about 2K less than the similarly equipped Willy's. Wouldn't it be better to take that money and add the locker to the Sport S? Would I not end up owing a Jeep with the same capabilities?

@ToPar9, I appreciate your offer and I not opposed to looking for a used JLU once I better understand the various configurations available. However, I certainly do not want one with issues.
Willy's comes with better brakes, power door locks standard, and is a better deal overall. The axles are identical.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Wouldn't it be better to take that money and add the locker to the Sport S?
If you’re fortunate enough to save up for six months more to make the Rubicon affordable for you, do that. I’m a huge proponent for getting as much done from the factory as possible: less wrenching, more wheeling.
I’m in your neck of the woods.
I’ll sell you mine. Meet me at the dealership tomorrow morning. You can have it when they are done fixing all of the issues before 10k miles. It’s never been off-road.
Please thank ToPar9 for posting and ask him how it feels to have his brand new rig that’s never been off road stuck in the shop?

Everyone dreams big of what they’d like to do to their rigs. Dreaming about adding a locker to a sport s axle is ambitious and I’m confident that some have done it. If you care about your warranty you’re going to pay someone FCA certified a pretty penny to install it. The cost that you’ll pay out of pocket is going to be expensive. And hope that they install it correctly.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude

I’m sour because I’ve never had this many issues with a vehicle. I have a couple of buddies who are in the same boat. This is my everyday for the time being. The plan was to break it in on the highway, go through the factory tires, then lift, wheels, and bigger tread. Here I sit, round 2 at the dealership pre-10k. I was super excited buying my first Jeep, with all of these plans with upgrades. Now it sits in my garage and I drive it as needed. I’m hoping to keep my miles down, pay it down, and then I’ll look forward Black Friday and end of the year sales.
Good luck to you, and I hope your experience is better than a portion on here.
Maybe by year three the bugs and issues will be worked out.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Please thank ToPar9 for posting and ask him how it feels to have his brand new rig that’s never been off road stuck in the shop?
40k worth of frustration. Not everyone is in my boat, but jeez man, it’s one thing after another. I love it, the look and all, but dependability is a requirement for an everyday driver.
If I had 37’s, 3.5” lift, drove it in the woods, crawled rocks, bumped it around on the weekends, I’d wear it as being an idiot. But, I treat it like a baby. I drive easy, mostly on NDT and 75, here north of Dallas.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
40k worth of frustration. Not everyone is in my boat, but jeez man, it’s one thing after another. I love it, the look and all, but dependability is a requirement for an everyday driver.
If I had 37’s, 3.5” lift, drove it in the woods, crawled rocks, bumped it around on the weekends, I’d wear it as being an idiot. But, I treat it like a baby. I drive easy, mostly on NDT and 75, here north of Dallas.
what sort of problems have you had?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd

Do you need so many doors? Can save about $4k before tax by getting a real Jeep. ;)
Have you accounted for the typical deal you can easily get of about 11-12% below msrp?
I had a sport back in 2013, with plans/dreams to add lockers. $10k in mods later, still hadn’t locked. Still hit all the trails in Moab.
Went with a Rubicon this time, don’t have to add a bunch of stuff with monthly disposable income.
wait a few months and get the Jeep you truly want.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with Notorious. In the long run, you'll wish you had just waited a little longer to be in what you really wanted. A Rubicon.

Plus, the 6-speed will be better with the 4.10 gearing. It'll help to offset the taller transmission ratios and the v6 that prefers higher rpm's.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Unless you are dead set on a manual transmission, I highly suggest the 8-speed auto. It is fantastic, and if you rock crawl at all, you will appreciate the auto that much more.

I also say save up and get the Rubicon if you can be patient or buy now if you can handle the payment.

OP
OP
musicguyusa

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Amaruq, I'm looking at the JLU, over the JL, for a couple of reasons:
  • I need the increased towing capability of the JLU
  • I need the soft top as I do not have a place to store the hard top when it is removed

@Mikester86, I will look at the automatic, but I have always preferred a manual transmission over an automatic. I will say finding a manual to test drive has been tough...dealers around here have almost everything in automatic.

I suppose I did not realize that adding a rear locker would be such an expensive deal. I really do not need all the capability a Rubicon offers; Jeep seems to force the issue by not offering something with a little more between the Sport, and it's derivatives, and the Rubicon. At least, I have not figured out how to create that Jeep.

Thank you @mwilk012, @Notorious, @Amaruq, @Headbarcode, and @Mikester86 for your advice. I may just end up waiting.

@ToPar9, if you care to share I would like to hear about the issues you have experienced to date.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
@musicguyusa , I have 7600 miles on my JLUR and zero issues so far. Knock on wood no steering issues, I can drive 90 mph and it is good.

I agree, it would be nice to order what you wanted, like Rubicon axles on a different model, lockers, suspension components, etc.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
@Amaruq, I'm looking at the JLU, over the JL, for a couple of reasons:
  • I need the increased towing capability of the JLU
  • I need the soft top as I do not have a place to store the hard top when it is removed

@Mikester86, I will look at the automatic, but I have always preferred a manual transmission over an automatic. I will say finding a manual to test drive has been tough...dealers around here have almost everything in automatic.

I suppose I did not realize that adding a rear locker would be such an expensive deal. I really do not need all the capability a Rubicon offers; Jeep seems to force the issue by not offering something with a little more between the Sport, and it's derivatives, and the Rubicon. At least, I have not figured out how to create that Jeep.

Thank you @mwilk012, @Notorious, @Amaruq, @Headbarcode, and @Mikester86 for your advice. I may just end up waiting.

@ToPar9, if you care to share I would like to hear about the issues you have experienced to date.
Don't compromise on the manual transmission if you are a fan of shifting your own. Even the best automatics in the world cannot replace a manual and its 3 pedals. The manual in the JL is fantastic, IMO, and more car-like than truck-like if that makes sense.

FYI you can get a soft top 2-door just like a 4-door. The soft top is the default top for both.

If you're not going to use the Rubicon capabilities, don't pay all the extra for the Rubicon trim. Everyone here will talk to you about resale and regret but why pay thousands and thousands more money than you need to for what will amount to cooler wheels, A/T or M/T tires, and a fancy hood. Slightly different fenders.

I have a basic Sport S 4-door with the only option on top of the S package is my hard top. I bought a soft top and performance rock rails aftermarket. I don't have an LSD and even after snowy Ohio winter I didn't think I need it. Plus, there's more than a couple people with axle problems that have the LSD. Not the case for the open diffs.

If you aren't going to use the capaibilities, don't buy a Rubicon. You can always add them to a Sport later. Save your money unless you know for sure you're going to actually exceed the capabilities of a stock Sport S with an open differential.
Sponsored