Purchasing a 2.5” lift kit for a JLU

Fredo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’m purchasing a 2.5” lift kit for a JLU. I plan on running 35’s. It’s a daily driver, and probably will never go off-roading. My main concern is on-road comfortability, but I’d like to have the ability to go off-road if I have to. The kit I’m purchasing comes with a steering stabilizer, adjustable front track bar, rear track bar, front lower control arms, front and rear lifted coil springs, front and rear shocks, front and rear sway bar links, and front and rear bump stops. Is there anything else I might need or should consider that this kit does not have?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m purchasing a 2.5” lift kit for a JLU. I plan on running 35’s. It’s a daily driver, and probably will never go off-roading. My main concern is on-road comfortability, but I’d like to have the ability to go off-road if I have to. The kit I’m purchasing comes with a steering stabilizer, adjustable front track bar, rear track bar, front lower control arms, front and rear lifted coil springs, front and rear shocks, front and rear sway bar links, and front and rear bump stops. Is there anything else I might need or should consider that this kit does not have?
Got link to kit ? Is your rig 3.6 auto ? If so you have side specific springs on now, does kit address that ? Either with side specific springs or taller passenger rear coil isolators, etc…. Some kits have problems with bowed springs sitting on factory isolators, you may need to get those . Need more details though before can give any advise.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have the 3.6 auto. I went with the cheap Rancho puck lift. My buddy went with the spendy Mopar lift. Both of us run 315 KO2s. Mine rides and handles better both on road and off. Both of us did an alignment after the lifts were installed. We both have JLURs. Off roading if you have to??? Try it and you'll be hooked.

OP
OP
Fredo

Fredo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Got link to kit ? Is your rig 3.6 auto ? If so you have side specific springs on now, does kit address that ? Either with side specific springs or taller passenger rear coil isolators, etc…. Some kits have problems with bowed springs sitting on factory isolators, you may need to get those . Need more details though before can give any advise.
It’s an RC lift kit. I have a 3.6 manual.

bshaw4377

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Build Thread
Link
If you just want to run 35s and just drive it on the road mostly, you could get away with a set of rubicon style fender flares and some wheels that have less backspacing and not have to worry about ride quality changing too much. If you want a bit better performance off-road, a lift is a better choice. Your ride quality will be affected more with the increased ride height and the quality of parts being installed. It all depends on budget, what your end goal is and how far you're willing to dive in.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Only things I can think of are if you plan on doing any flexing you may want brake line relo brackets and Synergy emergency brake relocation bracket.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
If your primary concern is on-road comfort and drivability, and you’re not off-roading, skip the lift kit and bigger tires. Your Jeep is off-road capable from the factory. If you find you like off-roading, and you’re enjoying challenging trails that push the capability of your Jeep, you can always modify then — and you may decide you want higher quality components.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
You’re doing it wrong. For on road you MUST do a minimum 6” lift with 40s. This will give you the best sports car appearance and handling. Might as well go straight to 10” lift though. Then, make sure to put hydraulics so you can bounce and also be a low rider, otherwise, what’s the point? You need your Jeep to be able to bunny hop like I could do back in the day on my Huffy. Just buy 5 of those spacer lifts and stack them up! Boom 10+ inches!

I put an 2” ADF spacer lift on my outback, worst decision ever. So, I went and bought a Jeep instead of taking it off.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
If your primary concern is on-road comfort and drivability, and you’re not off-roading, skip the lift kit and bigger tires. Your Jeep is off-road capable from the factory. If you find you like off-roading, and you’re enjoying challenging trails that push the capability of your Jeep, you can always modify then — and you may decide you want higher quality components.
But it won’t look cool and get all the chicks. Cmon man!

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Pucks and the stock suspension are a very smart way to go, unless you want to drop some $$$.

Alternatively, I added the AEV 2.5 lift and got more than 2.5 even with aftermarket steel bumpers. I have a rubicon so I went with 37s. Probably could still clear 40s with a little rubbing.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
You could also split the difference and get a rubicon takeoff suspension. Depending on the springs you get, you could get up to 2.5 inches of lift, keep all mopar under your rig, and still get added off-road performance. And save a few bucks in the process! This is what I did, and I am very happy with it! There are a number of threads on here about this with all the info you’d need. Just thought I’d mention it as another option. 👍

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
One more note: the 35” tires will cost fuel economy and deprive you of performance. It’s not a terrible trade if you have the 410 gearing, but I assume you don’t. I assume you have the D35 rear end too. They are less durable. Many have survived gentle use for years with that combination, but I blew up a D35 running only 33s, and I did it on comparatively gentle trails with a motor that made MUCH less power. What you’re proposing isn’t an ideal fit for your stated preferences.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Do you have link to kit, can’t find one that has everything you mentioned in it……
+1 to Roky's question.

The only 2.5" lift kits that RC advertises for the JL do not include track bars, or control arms.

the $200 kit include shocks, spring spacers, Fr & Rr sway links, and bump stops.
The $530 kit is identical, except it includes new coil springs instead of using spring spacers.

They do make a 3.5" kit that includes the control arms, but it does not include the rear track bar. (it does include a new front driveshaft though)

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Like others have said, that's a lot of lift kit if you're staying mainly on the road. Save some money and get a Rubicon take off or something a lot cheaper and easier. Adding a lift is going to make your on-road driving require more steering input, maybe a little, maybe more. The more lift, the more chance of you having to add more driving input on the road.
Sponsored