First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It says it on the Jeep Mopar site when I log in.
Very odd they didn't catch these issues. I would then call and raise hell that your CPO is having such issues - the very reason you bought a CPO to avoid.
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
The oil pan bolts are the one descrepancy that seems odd to me. I can't come up with a story that fits what you described.
Would it have anything to do with the oil pan being updated from cast aluminum to the new style?

gdeyarmond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tacoma 4x4 (6mt), 24 JLU Willys (6mt)
OK, one more time real slow; Stop buying O.P.J. (Other People's Junk). That thing looks like crap. Did they even take one second to clean it up??

G.
No truer words in this thread.

We once purchased a Used but with ultra low miles VW Golf R from an online car "dealer" (7 day return policy). It had a blown turbo (at the minimum level of teardown the VW dealer would do before the point of no return). We returned it immediately.

My father in law has a lot of opinions, and this one was a good one...."you can afford a new one, don't buy someone else's problem."

OP
OP

Car54

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Hey all - sort of anticlimactic today. Early this morning, my buddy sent me the warranty work on the Wrangler. Turns out, it did get a long block 6 months ago, under warranty. This closed the loop on a lot of question marks. My appointment today was more about getting them to complete the repairs due to the motor swap and at least acknowledging the elephant in the room. They added hardware, not the right hardware unfortunately, and ordered some bolts for the oil pan.

They’re claiming the previous owner must have bottomed out and broke the spring and damaged the motor mount. I can’t see how this is possible as the injury doesn’t line up correctly. The mounts are not leaking.

They can’t figure out the coils as there was never a claim on them. They told me the shocks were aftermarket as well, Fox/Jeep shocks. I let them know they weren’t. I’m not sure which coils are correct and I don’t think the techs do either.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Hey all - sort of anticlimactic today. Early this morning, my buddy sent me the warranty work on the Wrangler. Turns out, it did get a long block 6 months ago, under warranty. This closed the loop on a lot of question marks. My appointment today was more about getting them to complete the repairs due to the motor swap and at least acknowledging the elephant in the room. They added hardware, not the right hardware unfortunately, and ordered some bolts for the oil pan.

They’re claiming the previous owner must have bottomed out and broke the spring and damaged the motor mount. I can’t see how this is possible as the injury doesn’t line up correctly. The mounts are not leaking.

They can’t figure out the coils as there was never a claim on them. They told me the shocks were aftermarket as well, Fox/Jeep shocks. I let them know they weren’t. I’m not sure which coils are correct and I don’t think the techs do either.
Glad to see the dealer is being mostly honest and up front with you and trying to make things right.

Its always best to really inspect a pre-owned vehicle regardless of the certification (or have someone do it for you PPI). The 392 is never going to be a "owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church" type of vehicle. People that keep their 392 will take good care of it, but leases and turn-ins have a good chance of being badly abused.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think I’d make them take it back. The fact that it was CPO with all of those issues are huge red flags.

The engine swap should have been brought to your attention prior to the purchase. The springs that don’t match and the fact that the dealership is unaware of what shocks come with a stock 392 means that your CPO is a pre-abused POS that was sold to you by a certified shady dealer.

Last edited:

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
I don't trust any of those "certified" things. They're mostly arbitrary, and I've shared my personal experience her with how sometimes they are just pain fake. (Carvana certified inspected vehicle. They "checked off" each thing as it was inspected and verified to be working. That list included options the specific vehicle did not have!)

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Which dealer swapped out the long block? If it was the same dealer you purchased it from, you should have a case to get your money back. Either way, lesson learned to always ask the dealer for the repair history. The VIN would surely show the engine change in their system as it was done by Jeep. If the springs are differernt, it could very well been in an accident or jumped. That could be why the engine cracked and had to be replaced. Which would also explaint he different springs. One of those is factory and one is aftermarket. The one that is factory was probably damaged in the accident or jump and replaced. The other side was left with the aftermarket spring. I would check the alignment and the control arms as well.

Side note, not surprised about the missing hardware. My 2021 had the 3.6L changed earlier this year due to an engine crack that was apparently common due to a bad batch of casting. I only had 25,000 miles on it. The dealer replaced it with a new engine. Everything that was engine related, starter, alternator, pulleys, etc was replaced with new. When they pulled the engine, they must have basically yanked it out because all of the wire looms were pulled from their original mounts. They delivered it to my house for me while I was out of town. I got home and night and took it for a spin. Something underneath was clunking really bad so I turned around. Got it into the garage to find out they never reattached the battery tie down, in fact it was gone. Battery was just flopping around. Next day when it was light, I found most of the brake lines were not reattached to the bottom of the motor and were hanging very low, none of the wire looms were reattached and just hanging there, the caps for the A/C lines were gone. Zip ties were all broke, etc. I was pissed to say the least, would never, ever buy a Jeep with a factory swapped engine after this experience. I don't even want mine anymore but have too much money into it and it is paid for.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is a bit crazy… selling a vehicle under CPO with a swapped engine and other ‘tweaked’ parts.

I recently purchased another CPO BMW which I do about every ten years with one coming off a lease. Worked out well for me. This last one though showed one owner and the dealer had it for awhile. Good deal and inspected out fine.

Getting home and under the right lighting, my wife noticed a ghost of a banner in the rear view mirror. ‘Courtesy Vehicle’. Apparently it had many months of service in that capacity.

Bugged me at first, but the service records were impeccable… I got over the fact that it wasn’t populated just by a single owner and the dealer.

Best of luck with your CPO and dealer making it right for you.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I sold my 2018 JLUR to my dealer, on trade in. I had grenaded the original engine with just under 30k on it, burnt up the cats, etc. The replacement 3.6 was sourced from an offroad shop, had just a few thousand miles on it. The install labor was not performed by Jeep. Suspension, shafts, exhaust - none of it original.

I disclosed everything to the dealer, and they had no problem listing it CPO. I think CPO is primarily just extra warranty, does not really say much about the condition of the vehicle.

OP
OP

Car54

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Does yours have the XR package?

Those do look just like the springs on my non 392 with the XR package.
I don't have the XR package. I did already add XR fenders. :like:

Glad to hear something is lining up!
Sponsored