Sponsored

Purchase process has started...I have questions. w/ Updates

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Well I decided to start the process in purchasing a new JL. The family and I went in for some test driving this past Saturday. My main goal was to make the decision between 2 door and 4 door and look at the options in person. We test drove two Willys Unlimited and one 2 door Willys. I was able to try both the 2.0 and 3.6 engine options in the unlimited.

We've decided on the Unlimited over the 2 door for sure. I also wanted to go with the 3.6 as I just wasnt sure about the E-Torque system. After reading about that last night and learning more about it, I'm a little less concerned about it, but would still prefer it in the 3.6. If I dont end up finding the spec I want in a 2020, we can just order the 2021 and the Etorque 3.6 will be fine. I was thinking about it later and I remember the first thing I had to do in the 3.6 was look for the ESS off button when I came to a stop and noticed the ESS kick in. I never noticed it or looked for a switch when I drove the two prior jeeps that both had the E-torque.

Also, I know from reading on here, its not uncommon to have a little play in the steering. The first one I drove was pretty loose, but the other two both handled really well. I does make me a little concerned that I would order one or they'd find one somewhere else that I couldn't test drive first.

I didn't talk numbers Saturday, as they didn't have exactly the model with the trim options I wanted. I talked to a salesman after and told him I'd email him a list of what I was after and I'll keep to my word and give them the first chance to find a jeep and try to make a deal. Unfortunately for them, I have this forum and know what a good deal is on the price :)

Anyways...I have some questions as I begin the search and purchase process:

Should I consider an extended warranty?
If yes, does it have to be purchased now or can it be added later?
If yes, do I have to buy an extended warranty through mopar or are there third party offerings? Recommendations?

The JLU Willys has LED headlamps and foglamps. Can the LED taillights and fender markers be added later at a resonable price, or is it better to just by the safety package for $995 that includes them?

I dont think I want to worry about the Alpine system as its not super common to see in the Willys trim on the lots. I'm assuming I could upgrade the speakers about as easy as any other car, right?

Will E-Torque be more of a problem when the jeep isnt a daily driver? I worry about what I'm reading about battery failure. This will not be mine or my wifes primary driver, so it very well could sit for a few days to even a few weeks depending on the time of year.

Thanks for all who take the time to answer my questions. I appreciate the input from those of you with more experience than I with Jeep Wranglers. Once I start ironing out details with the dealership, I may ask for an extended test drive on a wrangler. It sure is hard to make a decision with only a little bit of time in one and I suffer from over-analysis paralysis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchase Update 1:

Day one was a bust. Local dealer located a Jeep with specs I wanted, which I'm pretty sure I know where it is, because I've already searched myself, but they wanted to be sly and crop off the VIN info from the bottom of the window sticker when they sent it to me. Anyway.... The best they could do was right around 6% off of MSRP. I can order one with the dual top group, which this one didnt have, and still come in under what they offered this one for.

I guess (even though frustrated) lucky for me, I'm not in a hurry and I dont need one. I wont overpay by thousands just to have one. I honestly dont know how the dealership model of yesteryear is still surviving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Well I decided to start the process in purchasing a new JL. The family and I went in for some test driving this past Saturday. My main goal was to make the decision between 2 door and 4 door and look at the options in person. We test drove two Willys Unlimited and one 2 door Willys. I was able to try both the 2.0 and 3.6 engine options in the unlimited.

We've decided on the Unlimited over the 2 door for sure. I also wanted to go with the 3.6 as I just wasnt sure about the E-Torque system. After reading about that last night and learning more about it, I'm a little less concerned about it, but would still prefer it in the 3.6. If I dont end up finding the spec I want in a 2020, we can just order the 2021 and the Etorque 3.6 will be fine. I was thinking about it later and I remember the first thing I had to do in the 3.6 was look for the ESS off button when I came to a stop and noticed the ESS kick in. I never noticed it or looked for a switch when I drove the two prior jeeps that both had the E-torque.

Also, I know from reading on here, its not uncommon to have a little play in the steering. The first one I drove was pretty loose, but the other two both handled really well. I does make me a little concerned that I would order one or they'd find one somewhere else that I couldn't test drive first.

I didn't talk numbers Saturday, as they didn't have exactly the model with the trim options I wanted. I talked to a salesman after and told him I'd email him a list of what I was after and I'll keep to my word and give them the first chance to find a jeep and try to make a deal. Unfortunately for them, I have this forum and know what a good deal is on the price :)

If yes, do I have to buy an extended warranty through mopar or are there third party offerings? Recommendations?

The JLU Willys has LED headlamps and foglamps. Can the LED taillights and fender markers be added later at a resonable price, or is it better to just by the safety package for $995 that includes them?

I dont think I want to worry about the Alpine system as its not super common to see in the Willys trim on the lots. I'm assuming I could upgrade the speakers about as easy as any other car, right?

Thanks for all who take the time to answer my questions. I appreciate the input from those of you with more experience than I with Jeep Wranglers. Once I start ironing out details with the dealership, I may ask for an extended test drive on a wrangler. It sure is hard to make a decision with only a little bit of time in one and I suffer from over-analysis paralysis.
If your handy the alpine system can be done on your own and you can save roughly $400, or you can pick and choose your options and make it sound better than the alpine package. There are some considerations though, it’s not as simple as just changing the speakers. Plenty of forums covering audio upgrades on here for you to read over.

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If your handy the alpine system can be done on your own and you can save roughly $400, or you can pick and choose your options and make it sound better than the alpine package. There are some considerations though, it’s not as simple as just changing the speakers. Plenty of forums covering audio upgrades on here for you to read over.
Thank you. I have no problem doing mods myself and enjoy tinkering. I figured this would be the case.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Word of advice, option in everything you wanted right from the factory, especially the aux switches if they are available. If labor isn’t free (even if it is) you will find that adding them later as an afterthought will always cost more and make things complicated.

I would also get the LED taillights and fender lights just so I don’t have to deal with the whole harness debacle. A lot of the times if you are going from halogen to LED you either need to use a programmer or dealer flash or add resistors just so the led can function properly. Also halogen harness may be different from LED.

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Word of advice, option in everything you wanted right from the factory, especially the aux switches if they are available. If labor isn’t free (even if it is) you will find that adding them later as an afterthought will always cost more and make things complicated.
Yes, thank you. Im planning on it after reading that specifically on this forum about the aux switches. I cant believe for the price that more dealers dont spec their lot purchase with the tow package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'll tell you this...between the etorque 2.0 and the 3.6 with regular ESS, there was for sure a differance and I wasnt even looking/listening to it specifically. The Etorque was smooth enough that I didnt even know it was activated. I guess its been an option in the sahara trim, but I'm not finding alot on it. All of these cases I'm seeing about vehicles dying on the road is a bit concerning as I know my wife wouldnt know what to do if she was driving it and that happened. Crazy problem to have.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I went through these same exact decisions last month.

My thoughts on it were to go with whats proven (3.6) and simple (no etorque)

Maybe i made a mistake, the turbo 4 felt great!

but it was a safer bet in my mind. Time will tell.

In retrospect, i would have focused more on those Rubicon axles.

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I went through these same exact decisions last month.

My thoughts on it were to go with whats proven (3.6) and simple (no etorque)

Maybe i made a mistake, the turbo 4 felt great!

but it was a safer bet in my mind. Time will tell.

In retrospect, i would have focused more on those Rubicon axles.

If I go with a 2020 I will go with the 3.6 non etorque. If I go 2021, the 3.6 is only offered as an etorque if you want the Auto trans. So I guess that decision will come down to what the dealer can find. If they cant find what I want, then I'll just plan to shop an order out and wait for next summer to enjoy it. I can put more cash away that way anyway.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Get the 3.6 - tried and true

i would have loved to get the aux switches but they were just not in any of the already built rubis in the entire US with other options i really wanted.

i got the extended warranty at purchase - they are from mopar and negotiable. A mopar lift was put on mine so i wanted that wrapped into the warranty (which it was). Also mopar has a neat feature in that you can transfer it for a small fee ($50-$75) if you ever sell and if you want to cancel they will refund you the unused (pro-rata) portion of the warranty. You can buy it later but it becomes meaningfully more expensive. Also you can finance it at purchase.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Extended Warranty - I’ve never purchased an extended warranty and I won’t purchase one for my Willys Unlimited. This is more of a personal preference for me; I would prefer to put aside some money every month and just deal with issues when and if they arise. I completely understand why someone would just prefer to purchase an extended warranty and be done with it and have some peace of mind. Do whatever makes you sleep better at night. My wife had a 2008 Unlimited Sahara and aside from replacing the water pump, it was bulletproof for over 115K miles.

LED tail lamps - I didn’t option the safety group because my wife’s van has the exact same features and I’ve found that they were nice to have for about 1 month. After that, my brain completely tuned out the blind spot warning lights; I don’t notice them now to the point that I sometimes think they’re off when they are very much on and working. I do like the look of the LED tail lamps but I couldn’t justify spending nearly $1,000 to get them and some things that I’ll mostly ignore. I will probably attempt this upgrade in the future though.

Audio Upgrade - The Alpine system was a non-negotiable for me. I fancy myself a jack of all trades but not of car audio. I was happy to have that just there and ready to go from the start. That said, if you have the time and skills, which it sounds like you do, you’d probably enjoy the process and probably come out ahead either in price or audio quality (or both).

I have no expertise with the E-Torque system so I have nothing to offer you there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Extended Warranty - I’ve never purchased an extended warranty and I won’t purchase one for my Willys Unlimited. This is more of a personal preference for me; I would prefer to put aside some money every month and just deal with issues when and if they arise. I completely understand why someone would just prefer to purchase an extended warranty and be done with it and have some peace of mind. Do whatever makes you sleep better at night. My wife had a 2008 Unlimited Sahara and aside from replacing the water pump, it was bulletproof for over 115K miles.

LED tail lamps - I didn’t option the safety group because my wife’s van has the exact same features and I’ve found that they were nice to have for about 1 month. After that, my brain completely tuned out the blind spot warning lights; I don’t notice them now to the point that I sometimes think they’re off when they are very much on and working. I do like the look of the LED tail lamps but I couldn’t justify spending nearly $1,000 to get them and some things that I’ll mostly ignore. I will probably attempt this upgrade in the future though.

Audio Upgrade - The Alpine system was a non-negotiable for me. I fancy myself a jack of all trades but not of car audio. I was happy to have that just there and ready to go from the start. That said, if you have the time and skills, which it sounds like you do, you’d probably enjoy the process and probably come out ahead either in price or audio quality (or both).

I have no expertise with the E-Torque system so I have nothing to offer you there.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your time and sharing your experiences.

My main thought behind the waranty was that from my experiences with our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I've spent a little bit of money on repairs that were not to far out of the warranty period. I've had issues with ABS sensor wire being corroded in half, I've had issues with the oil cooler housing cracking (because its plastic), and I currently have a radiator sitting in the garage for it. Probably not enough expense that a extended warranty wouldve paid for itself, so if its more than a couple thousand, I'll probably decline.

I think from what I'm reading that I might be able to buy the factory mopar LED tailights for around $600. Just need to do a bit more research to see if they are plug and play or if something else needs upgraded. I know sometimes vehicles dont like when you switch them from regular bulbs over to LED.

Since its not a daily driver I'm not as concerned about an upgraded stereo system. If It was an upgrade for my wife to daily, I'd upgrade it as she likes to jam out more than I care to. I'm comfortable with speaker upgrades later should I fell the need.

Thanks again!

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Get the 3.6 - tried and true

i would have loved to get the aux switches but they were just not in any of the already built rubis in the entire US with other options i really wanted.

i got the extended warranty at purchase - they are from mopar and negotiable. A mopar lift was put on mine so i wanted that wrapped into the warranty (which it was). Also mopar has a neat feature in that you can transfer it for a small fee ($50-$75) if you ever sell and if you want to cancel they will refund you the unused (pro-rata) portion of the warranty. You can buy it later but it becomes meaningfully more expensive. Also you can finance it at purchase.

Thanks for the response. I've read it can be a real PITA to add the AUX switches. I like installing stuff, but I think I'd rather have that one factory installed.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
LEDs can be added later, however they are not cheap. You are looking at about $700 for the Mopar LEDs alone. Hooking up the halos is a total PITA; you have to pass the wiring harness from the headlights along the inner front fender through the firewall into the cabin. Adding the fender turn signals adds another $300 from what I have seen.

I wouldn't waste money on an Extended Warranty; even less on a Mopar Extended Warranty. I learned the hard way not to trust neither FCA nor Jeep dealers.

The key problem with Extended Warranties is that the dealer is free to give you a hard time if you modify your Jeep, and refuse to fix it. Worse, since the average Jeep dealer is atrocious; an Extended Warranty would only prolong the crummy customer service you already get. If you have a trusted local shop that can do maintenance and repairs affordably, I'd do that.

FWIW, KBB has a review of the 3.6 eTorque: they didn't like how the automatic shifted, No one else seems to have issue with the automatic..

Good luck!

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
LEDs can be added later, however they are not cheap. You are looking at about $700 for the Mopar LEDs alone. Hooking up the halos is a total PITA; you have to pass the wiring harness from the headlights along the inner front fender through the firewall into the cabin. Adding the fender turn signals adds another $300 from what I have seen.

I wouldn't waste money on an Extended Warranty; even less on a Mopar Extended Warranty. I learned the hard way not to trust neither FCA nor Jeep dealers.

The key problem with Extended Warranties is that the dealer is free to give you a hard time if you modify your Jeep, and refuse to fix it. Worse, since the average Jeep dealer is atrocious; an Extended Warranty would only prolong the crummy customer service you already get. If you have a trusted local shop that can do maintenance and repairs affordably, I'd do that.

FWIW, KBB has a review of the 3.6 eTorque: they didn't like how the automatic shifted, No one else seems to have issue with the automatic..

Good luck!
thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time.
The model I’m looking at comes with LEDs upfront just not taillights. So I guess I could save a couple Benjamin’s by not getting the whole safety package, but might be an option worth having at resale time if that day ever came down the road.
Sponsored