Pump keeps clicking before tank is full

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Most times I fill up my tank, the gas pump clicks and stops pumping before my tank is full. Sometimes it’ll click a few time right at the beginning, sometimes it’ll be half way through. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? Surely it’s not user error.
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Most times I fill up my tank, the gas pump clicks and stops pumping before my tank is full. Sometimes it’ll click a few time right at the beginning, sometimes it’ll be half way through. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? Surely it’s not user error.
No problems with mine.

Are you having this issue at multiple gas pump locations?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i havent had this with my Jeep yet but i did have this problem with my silverado. i used to just turn the nozzle/handle sideways that tended to do the trick. its something to do with the back flow in the smaller fuel necks. it used to drive me nuts!. even worse is some gas stations where fine and others it would click 10-15 times before it was half full!

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
As a motorcycle rider, I am very aware of the speed at which pumps deliver fuel. Certain stations turn their pumps up higher than others in an attempt to get more people through. More people means more dollars in their pockets...or at least that is what they think...but that is a completely different rant. :D

As a result of this, you cannot fill up your tanks by simply locking the nozzle on high. The flow is too much for the filler neck and it will trip out. I never put the nozzle on full blast. I place the nozzle on the lowest setting and let it fill the tank. When it clicks off, I finish the tank off manually to the next click.

My 2 cents worth...

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The station by my house causes me issues on about 1/2 their pumps but no issues with my other non-Jeep vehicle. Sometimes it doesn't even like the lowest notch. I assume the nozzle is more restricted on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Mine does it too. I always lock the nozzle on the slowest setting and it still clicks off several times. There was another thread back in 2018 where people were having issues not being able to fill their tank completely full. The theory behind their issue was the evap canister and filler neck were to small not allowing the air in the tank to escape fast enough as you fill it, causing the gas to fill up the next while trying to let the vapor escape. I've had this issues at several different pumps and stations.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's a real common problem on newer pickups, especially if you drive in dirty conditions, the filter clogs up with dust and doesn't allow air to escape the tank fast enough as it's being displaced by the liquid gasoline, so gas bubbles up into the neck and trips the gas pump handle off.
On my ram, I have to clean the filter occasionally and problem solved. Your issue might be the same? I haven't had it happen on my JL yet, but I've only owned it for 4months.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Mine did that four time times in a row at two different gas stations (Both Circle K) right before i was going on a 3 day overlanding trip in my Jeep.
I cleaned inside the fill hole with a rag and there was a lot of black residue. I had the dealer look at it, they filled it 6 times and couldnt replicate it (got $20 of free gas put in at least :) ) and luckily it hasnt happened since

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There are a bunch of threads on this topic. Type this into google to see them:

site:jlwranglerforums.com fuel capacity

My 2dr will only accept 16 gallons even if I run it as low as I dare (which is a terrible idea since the fuel in the tank keeps the pump cool).

Sponsored

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Happens on the the first attempt to fill up for me sometimes. After I get it going though, it fills completely.

Thought it was odd, but hasn't been a problem, just a minimal nuisance, so I hadn't put any thought into it.

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No problems with mine.

Are you having this issue at multiple gas pump locations?
It's happening at multiple locations, Costco, BP, Shell, etc. However, it's not every time, just enough to drive me crazy. I've tried pulling the nozzle out and also turning it. It usually finally ends up working after a few tries.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
It is usually about air flow in and around the nozzle. I have found this happening on my wife's Altima and our old Yukon, and to alleviate it I just pull out the nozzle a bit to let more air flow in and around it. I don't know if the newer nozzles have fume detection or whatever, but I've noticed making better airflow solves the problem.