Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Is the glove box being referred to as a "jockey box" at 6:34 and forward? Just curious.
Yes, jockey box, glove box. Tomayto, tomaato.

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
So I installed the Pulsar yesterday and it was a very simple install. I would recommend taking off the passenger door to make it easier to get behind the weather stripping. Unfortunately it did not play well with the Tazer Mini, so I had to unmarry and remove for now. Controls are simple, but I am having an issue with the Power settings. At full throttle around 4000 RPM and 40-45 MPH the Jeep "hiccups" or stutters and then picks back up. It's almost like timing is being pulled or boost is temporarily dropping, but I am not getting any DTCs. I am using 93 octane and the only mod I have is the Mishimoto intercooler pipe. All hoses are tight so I don't think it's leaking boost. I've only tested levels 3-5 so far, and I believe it was happening at each level. I can confirm the stutter goes away with the Stock setting.

Superchips - any idea what could happening here?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So I installed the Pulsar yesterday and it was a very simple install. I would recommend taking off the passenger door to make it easier to get behind the weather stripping. Unfortunately it did not play well with the Tazer Mini, so I had to unmarry and remove for now. Controls are simple, but I am having an issue with the Power settings. At full throttle around 4000 RPM and 40-45 MPH the Jeep "hiccups" or stutters and then picks back up. It's almost like timing is being pulled or boost is temporarily dropping, but I am not getting any DTCs. I am using 93 octane and the only mod I have is the Mishimoto intercooler pipe. All hoses are tight so I don't think it's leaking boost. I've only tested levels 3-5 so far, and I believe it was happening at each level. I can confirm the stutter goes away with the Stock setting.

I think it's the same issue the guys running the JB4 were running in to. At that rpm range you are exceeding the factory torque limit and triggering the torque limiting. That is the number 1 advantage of going with the full tune/pcm swap. They can turn off the torque limiting.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's the same issue the guys running the JB4 were running in to. At that rpm range you are exceeding the factory torque limit and triggering the torque limiting. That is the number 1 advantage of going with the full tune/pcm swap. They can turn off the torque limiting.
oof, big ghey if true

Sponsored

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley

This is not something we've seen or experienced in our testing. I will reach out to our development team and ask them to look further into this. Can you PM me with your VIN number?

Thanks

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Just a quick update on the situation... I spoke with Mike and he directed me to Kyle, an engineer dedicated to working on the Pulsar. He's sending me another unit that he's unable to reproduce the issue on to see if I have the same "bucking". He's also sending an OBD2 cable so he can send me an updated package with some tweaks in the settings if the issue persists. Top notch guys!

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley
Just a quick update on the situation... I spoke with Mike and he directed me to Kyle, an engineer dedicated to working on the Pulsar. He's sending me another unit that he's unable to reproduce the issue on to see if I have the same "bucking". He's also sending an OBD2 cable so he can send me an updated package with some tweaks in the settings if the issue persists. Top notch guys!
Keep us posted :)

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes, I understand that. The company should do the normalizations so the client can compare both products in terms of gains from factory. Not everyone knows how to calculate the percentage gains and most will go and check both graphs and notice that there is a difference without knowing they are run in different dynos. I thought the company used the same dyno for development. Basically the costumer has to calculate everything and not trust what they post when comparing products.
This is a tough spot for a company. New products are developed and released at different times of the year and different locations. They would have to re-run every dyno test on every product on every vehicle combo each time they released a new product. Not very time or cost efficient. Even then the numbers for each existing product would go up or down depending on location and weather. Altering the data to normalize it also seems a bit sketchy and could raise questions. Again the numbers would constantly be going up and down, but maybe not by as much.

For "me", I'd prefer to look at the changes over stock for that product and draw my conclusions. I'm not worried about peak numbers in a jeep. I do look at curve shapes, and area under the curve where I'll be driving. That may just be me. I have a TD3 and am very happy with it.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is a tough spot for a company. New products are developed and released at different times of the year and different locations. They would have to re-run every dyno test on every product on every vehicle combo each time they released a new product. Not very time or cost efficient. Even then the numbers for each existing product would go up or down depending on location and weather. Altering the data to normalize it also seems a bit sketchy and could raise questions. Again the numbers would constantly be going up and down, but maybe not by as much.

For "me", I'd prefer to look at the changes over stock for that product and draw my conclusions. I'm not worried about peak numbers in a jeep. I do look at curve shapes, and area under the curve where I'll be driving. That may just be me. I have a TD3 and am very happy with it.
100% with you.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

I’m also considering the TD3. Can you give your experience with it and also your rig setup? Thanks.

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Does it feels like you're suddenly driving through resistance or pulling a lot of weight? If so, the tune could be too aggressive. Not enough fuel, timing advanced too much, something like that. Gets great numbers on the dyno, but doesn't perform under real load. I had that with another vehicle on a custom tune, they pulled it back a bit and it was much better.

Is there any way to do datalogging and send it back to Superchips for adjustments?
It's almost like it very temporarily loses all power and picks right back up. It kind of throws you forward and then goes right back into the powerband (I'll see if I can post a video today). I talked to Kyle (Superchips engineer) over the phone yesterday and he said he took the test jeep out on the road and "beat the hell out of it" and could not reproduce the issue, so he did test it under a real load. One variable that is different for him versus me is that he is in Utah and I am in Atlanta, so we are dealing with different elevations. He's sending me a new unit that he can tweak through package updates, so I'm hoping we can get this all sorted out.

I'm assuming with the OBD2 connection he's sending me I can pull some sort of datalogging that I can send back to him.

I will definitely keep you all posted.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's almost like it very temporarily loses all power and picks right back up. It kind of throws you forward and then goes right back into the powerband (I'll see if I can post a video today). I talked to Kyle (Superchips engineer) over the phone yesterday and he said he took the test jeep out on the road and "beat the hell out of it" and could not reproduce the issue, so he did test it under a real load. One variable that is different for him versus me is that he is in Utah and I am in Atlanta, so we are dealing with different elevations. He's sending me a new unit that he can tweak through package updates, so I'm hoping we can get this all sorted out.

I'm assuming with the OBD2 connection he's sending me I can pull some sort of datalogging that I can send back to him.

I will definitely keep you all posted.
I have this same exact issue with my JB4. It's interesting that you have a 2021 and so do I. There's something different about the 21's, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I originally wanted the Superchips flash tune but they still haven't released it for the 21's. They have it for the 18-20's, but for some reason the 21 has been delayed forever.

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I have this same exact issue with my JB4. It's interesting that you have a 2021 and so do I. There's something different about the 21's, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I originally wanted the Superchips flash tune but they still haven't released it for the 21's. They have it for the 18-20's, but for some reason the 21 has been delayed forever.
Yeah, someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread. I'm starting to think it's the '21s as well. Here's a video of the issue. You can hear the engine stutter right at 45mph.