Sponsored

Pulsar XT for 2.0L Available Now

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Yeah, it freaked me out the first time it happened. I was worried I blew something up.
Sponsored

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It seemed to happen right around 4k RPM immediately after the shift, within the 2.0's peak torque range. Torque limiter is my bet too - likely the PCM cutting the fuel. My money's on this being the reason why the flash tune hasn't been released for '21s yet, as the problem is probably more apparent with it than with the Pulsar seeing as how it makes more power and tweaks more parameters.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Iā€™m also considering the TD3. Can you give your experience with it and also your rig setup? Thanks.
I love my TD3. I have a '20 JLUR with the 2.0 eTorque, hardtop and stock suspension, wheels, and tires. I had a SuperChips engine and trans tune in it before the TD3 came out. I I upgraded to the TD3 to get some of the cooler options like being able to lock the lockers and disconnect the swaybar in any drive mode (2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo) and to disable tpms while I'm aired down. I've always liked the tune. Before I tuned my jeep I test drove a '19 JLUR with the 2.0 eTorque, 35" tires, 20" rims and the sky active one touch top. Driving that jeep around felt peppier than my stock rubi (I think that jeep only had the engine tune not the trans - but I honestly don't remember). Definitely felt like it had better get up and go driving around town from light to light. I was sold after that. I've had the tune for over a year now and the day to day drivability is great. Been on a few longer trips and it's my daily driver. The trans tune makes a nice difference in daily drivability too. I haven't done much off-roading at all (family issues), but I look forward to being able to do that soon. I also plan to go up to 35s and add a lift.
I have mine mounted to the windshield with the suction cup mount it came with. I have auto-start/stop turned off. And I've configured it to display intake air temps, pedal position, absolute throttle position, and boost on the gauge screen. Pretty amazing to watch absolute throttle values move around while my foot is steady on the pedal.

I've been in a 2.0 jeep with a Pulsar. It's definitely much peppier than stock from a stop light and it seems to work great. I just like my tuned ride better. I also like the TD3 Jeep specific options as well.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah, someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread. I'm starting to think it's the '21s as well. Here's a video of the issue. You can hear the engine stutter right at 45mph.
Almost sounds like it's dumping boost after the shift. I'm curious to see what you find out.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I just picked my Pulsar up today and will be putting it in on Friday afternoon. Will give an update once it is in. I saw the install video and looks pretty straight forward. Any other tips from anyone else who has installed?

Sponsored

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I just picked my Pulsar up today and will be putting it in on Friday afternoon. Will give an update once it is in. I saw the install video and looks pretty straight forward. Any other tips from anyone else who has installed?
Itā€™s pretty straightforward, but taking off the passenger door makes installing the can wire easier. There are little clips you have to pop off to get the wire to run behind the foam in the door, and the door is kind of in the way. What year do you have? If itā€™s a ā€˜21 Iā€™m curious if youā€™ll run into the bucking issue Iā€™m having.

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Does this work on the 4xe's yet?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Edited... So far the experience has been ok. I got it all hooked up and can tell a difference. Only issue is once I get out of the menu I cannot get back in. I imagine it should let you access the menu more than once. Sometimes I turn off engine and shut down entirely and can get back in, others I can't. I am not sure if settings I entered took or not. Will have to try again later.

Last edited:

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Edited... So far the experience has been ok. I got it all hooked up and can tell a difference. Only issue is once I get out of the menu I cannot get back in. I imagine it should let you access the menu more than once. Sometimes I turn off engine and shut down entirely and can get back in, others I can't. I am not sure if settings I entered took or not. Will have to try again later.
Following along, thanks for the updates Joe.

Sponsored

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Just curious, have you done any full throttle runs 0-60 on power level 5? Wondering if youā€™re seeing the same issue I am at 40-45mph. I just got a new unit from Powerteq and heā€™s going to send me an update soon.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Just curious, have you done any full throttle runs 0-60 on power level 5? Wondering if youā€™re seeing the same issue I am at 40-45mph. I just got a new unit from Powerteq and heā€™s going to send me an update soon.
After running for this for last couple of days I can give an update. I am not running into any issues like you are having. Sorry for your issues!

Install is fairly straight forward. I used the video as my guide and only have 2 things really to add to it. I am in a '21 and apparently the side engine panel is now different and has some tube type attached to it (photo attached). I did not remove it and was able to position it up and out of the way to access the wiring. The MAP sensor was only one that really was more difficult to get to, but really not bad. Taking off the door as @bdb5430 suggested would make it slightly easier to run behind the foam piece. I did not remove door though and was able to get it off with some prying.

I can say that I can for sure tell a difference in HP. RPM at about mid 2kish seems to provide a good kick. I haven't really tested on highway but even in the 50 MPH range it gets a good kick when you press down on the pedal. Given this... if it did not also have the ability to change TPMS, tire size etc. I do not think it would be worth the price for the HP gain alone. But given you can alter these things it does make it worth it and I would buy it again and recommend to anyone who wants a little more out their engine.

IMG_0630.jpeg

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
After running for this for last couple of days I can give an update. I am not running into any issues like you are having. Sorry for your issues!

Install is fairly straight forward. I used the video as my guide and only have 2 things really to add to it. I am in a '21 and apparently the side engine panel is now different and has some tube type attached to it (photo attached). I did not remove it and was able to position it up and out of the way to access the wiring. The MAP sensor was only one that really was more difficult to get to, but really not bad. Taking off the door as @bdb5430 suggested would make it slightly easier to run behind the foam piece. I did not remove door though and was able to get it off with some prying.

I can say that I can for sure tell a difference in HP. RPM at about mid 2kish seems to provide a good kick. I haven't really tested on highway but even in the 50 MPH range it gets a good kick when you press down on the pedal. Given this... if it did not also have the ability to change TPMS, tire size etc. I do not think it would be worth the price for the HP gain alone. But given you can alter these things it does make it worth it and I would buy it again and recommend to anyone who wants a little more out their engine.

IMG_0630.jpeg
Glad to hear youā€™re not running into any issues! On second install of a new wiring harness I will confirm that door removal is not necessary like you are saying. That tube is just a breather, and I removed it so the harness could run over the breather and not touch the intercooler pipe, but either way is probably fine. Do you have any other mods? Iā€™m wondering if my Borla climber and mishimoto pipe with the Pulsar is running it over the torque limiter? I also have a Banks ram air, but Iā€™ve removed that and replaced with stock and it still produces the same issue. Havenā€™t put the stock intercooler pipe back on yet because it was a pain to install.

And yes, that map sensor is tough to get off!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I do not have any other engine/exhaust type mods and prob wonā€™t end up doing anything additional. Could be the other stuff is causing the issue? Hopefully it gets worked out for you with the new one coming.

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I do not have any other engine/exhaust type mods and prob wonā€™t end up doing anything additional. Could be the other stuff is causing the issue? Hopefully it gets worked out for you with the new one coming.
Itā€™s definitely possible, but I canā€™t reproduce the issue without the Pulsar, so I assume whatever is happening has to be related. I have their engineer working with me, so Iā€™m hopeful weā€™ll get it figured out. Worst case I return the Pulsar and wait for the ā€˜21 tune on the Flashpaq. Iā€™d be happy with either one as long as they work correctly.
Sponsored