Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
update 2:

superchips has been in touch and worming with me to get it resolved or refunded. Trying a new board to see if that sorts it.

update:

Im no longer recommending people buy this thing. Ive started seeing mine forget ESS memory once in a while, and it will randomly change programs periodically. Yes, it works, but the QC issues are still there. Ive tried calling superchips/diablosport 5 separate times on 4 different days over the last 2 weeks and have never been able to get a hold of anyone to address the problem, with the longest time on hold being 45 minutes.

go with the livernois tune and a tazer And avoid the QC headaches. this thing still isnt ready for prime time.

Installed the @Superchips_Mrktg pulsar; bought from DiabloSport today and installed. With revision 3 and the sale they ran, i decided to give it a go. Installed it today and did a prolonged test drive.

ive been really hard on them and vocal about the QC issues, and i am keeping a skeptical eye out for funny sounds, CELs, random events etc. supposedly version 3 of the board has fixed all this, and today went smoothly with no issues noticed so far. I was leaning towards the Livernois tune, but decided to try Pulsar because i wanted to be able to switch easily from regular to premium fuel maps. Livernois told me on the phone i had to pick an octane, which i get, but didnt work for my needs. I also didnt want to deal with multiple ecus or reflashing issues. Im sure the tuning inside livernois is top notch, as theyve been doing great work for a long time. The pulsar footprint just works better for my needs, and i dont need every last hp, i just needed more drivability power.

initial thoughts:
-install went fine. Seating the board to the ecm was easy, and it seems as though its sealed around the data ports just as well as the factory clamps.
—set up was easy, the ess memory is so nice
-the dead zone to pedal feedback is gone, which is great. The throttle strategy of “Tow” is imo the best throttle strategy. Performance is, imo, too twitchy where tow feels more 1:1. some of this perception could be coming from an overly deadened pedal For years. Leaving it on performance for a while and see how i feel after a few days of adjusting.
-idle is smooth, calibration/set up was easy and straight forward. No issues.
-power. its there. a 30hp increase is something you should feel, and pushing the throttle down you do. The push to the back of the seat is very different between stock and performance.

drivability is smooth. No sounds of missing/detonation observed.

how do you differentiate the difference between rapid pedal response and power? Get on the highway, manual mode to about 4k, and roll quickly into the throttle but dont hit the gear kick down switch. Looking ahead and not at the tac, youll feel more push to the seat back. Its absolutely there.

the second test was a back to back highway drive with cruise set to 80mph; once stock and once on performance. The cruise control cant be fooled by butt dyno antics of a quick pedal. When it hits the combination of requested throttle %, engine load, and other factors, it will trigger a down shift. If there is more power, we shouldnt need as much downshifting. Im happy to report in my initial test loop, it downshifted less. It held 8th up hills better where stock goes down to 7th, and performance goes to 7th when stock needs 6th. Ill keep evaluating this for consistency, but my initial impression was “wow. 80mph and no 7th gear back and forth?” It was a noticeable change from normal highway behavior.

another day of putzing around urban areas, and the next day Ill be doing a 150mi driving loop i do frequently to compare MPG change if any, and see if the transmission continues to feel less “busy” than stock.

my only complaint so far? The pedal response needs to be an option to change in the set up menu. Allow me to use the performance 91oct tune map with the linear pedal of Tow mode.

more to follow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
You can load different fuel tunes ( 87, 91, 93, E85) with Livernois pretty easy. I just keep the cable and programmer in my glove box.

But I get the benefit of removing the pulsar for dealer visits.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
You can load different fuel tunes ( 87, 91, 93, E85) with Livernois pretty easy. I just keep the cable and programmer in my glove box.

But I get the benefit of removing the pulsar for dealer visits.
thats cool. They told me you had to pick the tune you wanted, and you didnt get the whole batch on your programmer. Maybe guy on the phone
misspoke.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
thats cool. They told me you had to pick the tune you wanted, and you didnt get the whole batch on your programmer. Maybe guy on the phone
misspoke.
Yeah, I was confused about it as well. They were not real clear when I ordered either.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
200 mile loop completed in ”performance setting”. No hyper mileing games. Went from my usual 18.5mpg to 21.6. No other changes.

Sponsored

Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Thanks for the in-depth feedback. Please keep us posted as time goes on

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Thanks for the in-depth feedback. Please keep us posted as time goes on
will do. So far my only complaint is throttle in performance is too “sharp”. Id love to see an update that allows you to choose pedal response from “stock” “eco” “performance” “linear/tow”

other than that, the performance and efficiency is there and so far no issues!

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
37’s installed and set into the ecu with no issues. All combined mpg for the last 190mi on 4.10 gears is 18.6.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Added Mopar intake and did my standard all combined driving loop. My best ever stock was 20.4.

37’s, intake, and pulsar was 21.1 today. Loop is a mix of interstate, highway, stop light to stoplight, and hilly country road. No hypermiling techniques other than using cruise whenever possible on interstate and highway, set 5mph over.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pulsar v3 installed E318F851-EB70-4CF0-B0F5-C1DADA5EB647

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Is this going to be available for the 2021 Jl 3.6?

Sponsored

Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Is this going to be available for the 2021 Jl 3.6?
Currently Flashcal is available for 2021 Jeeps, but we are working on adding our other devices to the new model year.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have a manual. Does this eliminate rev hang??

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Im no longer recommending people buy this thing. Ive started seeing mine forget ESS memory once in a while, and it will randomly change programs periodically. Yes, it works, but the QC issues are still there. Ive tried calling superchips/diablosport 5 separate times on 4 different days over the last 2 weeks and have never been able to get a hold of anyone to address the problem, with the longest time on hold being 45 minutes.

go with the livernois tune and a tazer And avoid the QC headaches. this thing still isnt ready for prime time.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon

What a shame, the whole sending in my ecu is such a pain. Hopefully another manufacturer comes thru but it seems like livernois is the best option.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
What a shame, the whole sending in my ecu is such a pain. Hopefully another manufacturer comes thru but it seems like livernois is the best option.
i had high hopes for the pulsar. It did a little of everything and had the core features i wanted. But here i am, out the money for a product that doesnt work the way its supposed to on account of bad QC and post sale support is nowhere to be found.
Sponsored