Sponsored

Pulling the trigger today.... Sahara vs Rubi

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
I love the rubi off road tires and wheels, dome top vented hood, and higher stance...but will miss the SelecTrac only available on Saharas for Northeast winters...

thoughts anyone?

the difference in price when configured is only $2000 (and I'm thinking of swapping sahara tires out anyway)

so and advice/feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I would not pull the trigger today if you are this conflicted about it. 4.10s and lockers something you will give up with Sahara.

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
It comes down to personal preference and what you think you will actually use your Wrangler for. If you aren't going to be doing a lot of off roading the Sahara is probably going to be a better option for you, it's still very capable off road with a better set of tires but the Rubicon is the most capable stock off road vehicle. I personally probably don't need a Rubicon for my needs but I can't help but love the more rugged look and if by chance I want to do some decent off roading I'm set. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
How important is Selectrac for Wintery weather?
IMO, it comes down to driver skills and confidence in that type of weather. I lived in the northeast for most of my life before moving to Florida and I was completely comfortable with a vehicle with a 4 wheel drive system without all the computer controlled components...but that's just me. However for the cost of that system why not get it if it will give you a bit of confidence in those conditions.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I face the same decision, but am leaning towards the Sahara. It will be my DD and I have three school aged children, so my priorities now dictate that it is probably best. After a couple head off to college...perhaps then the Rubi will be easier to justify (if I have any $$).

OP
OP
docjeep

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be my DD as well and like the idea of SelecTrac for those bad weather days, as I've heard the Wrangler isn't great for highway snow/sleet. The Rubicon just looks more...aggressive? Though, I think the tires in both Sahara and Rubicon are both 33's? Maybe the wheels are smaller?

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
It will be my DD as well and like the idea of SelecTrac for those bad weather days, as I've heard the Wrangler isn't great for highway snow/sleet. The Rubicon just looks more...aggressive? Though, I think the tires in both Sahara and Rubicon are both 33's? Maybe the wheels are smaller?
I’m also going to purchase the Sahara for the sameness reasons. Good choice. Question I have for you is, are you going to get the Selec-Trac? Is it worth it and what exactly is it best for?

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
Wh
IMO, it comes down to driver skills and confidence in that type of weather. I lived in the northeast for most of my life before moving to Florida and I was completely comfortable with a vehicle with a 4 wheel drive system without all the computer controlled components...but that's just me. However for the cost of that system why not get it if it will give you a bit of confidence in those conditions.
What exactly is Selec-Trac and how does it help?

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
could go either way.
Resale value is better on rubicon. I live in Maine and just use 4wd when roads are bad. My wife’s Subaru is more convenient, but her awd very rarely engages (it alerts you if you loose traction) and it’s when I would use 4wd anyway!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I’m also going to purchase the Sahara for the sameness reasons. Good choice. Question I have for you is, are you going to get the Selec-Trac? Is it worth it and what exactly is it best for?
My understanding is that it allows you to drive in 4WD full time in questionable road conditions and automatically distributes torque to whichever wheel will give you the best traction. I am not a mechanic though, so somebody please verify or shoot down this response.

OP
OP
docjeep

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could go either way.
Resale value is better on rubicon. I live in Maine and just use 4wd when roads are bad. My wife’s Subaru is more convenient, but her awd very rarely engages (it alerts you if you loose traction) and it’s when I would use 4wd anyway!
Is this true? Is resale value better on rubicon?

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion

Found this from a previous thread posting.
Sponsored