Pulling a 16' Ultralite Camper

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A little off topic, but the new Jeep Gladiator has over twice the towing capability as the wrangler. You would think they would be a little closer being pretty similar.
But, the Gladiator has 19" more length in wheelbase, 30" more length overall, and I'd bet a donut that the hitch bolts down both frame rails like all other pickup trucks. Very different from Wrangler where all you have is a crossmember to bolt to, which throws considerable torsional force onto the frame.

Also should be noted that MOST Gladiators sold won't have anywhere near the 7,650 lb. towing capacity. Rubicons and loaded Overlands are far lower and manual transmission Sports are lower as well. Some as low as 4,000 lbs. towing.
Sponsored

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
A little off topic, but the new Jeep Gladiator has over twice the towing capability as the wrangler. You would think they would be a little closer being pretty similar.

Looking at the Gladiator numbers: 3.6 with 6spd = 4000 lbs, Rubicon with 3.6 and auto = 6000 lbs, Sport with 3.6 and auto = 7650 lbs

Interesting. The suspensions and transmissions have limits. I still think the 3500lb limit is BS and entirely speed related but apparently there may be some other limiting factors based on your set up that should be considered before considering hooking up your 22' Grady White to it....

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm pretty sure the gladiator has a completely different rear suspension set up.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It also comes down to available payload - most people forget about payload and load up there jeep while pulling an over weight trailer - if you have a Rubicon your payload is 1235lbs - meaning the weight of all your passengers and gear in the Jeep with a full tank of gas shouldn’t exceed this. If you are pulling a trailer with excess pin weight this also counts against your payload. A WD hitch may help keep your front wheels on the ground but doesn’t increase any of the towing or payload capabilities of the Jeep.

All personal preference but if I was looking at buying a trailer I would find the trailer I want and match it up with the right tow vehicle.

Debating why a GC or other Jeep models have different capabilities shouldn’t justify a decision to pull with a wrangler.
The payload is only half of the issue. It is GVW ( gross vehicle weight) heavier tires, wheels, bumpers, winch, etc all come into play. At the end you have to stop the whole load of crap on, in and behind the Jeep.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiators frame and axles are different than the Wranglers. The frame comes from a Ram 1500.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the Gladiator numbers: 3.6 with 6spd = 4000 lbs, Rubicon with 3.6 and auto = 6000 lbs, Sport with 3.6 and auto = 7650 lbs

Interesting. The suspensions and transmissions have limits. I still think the 3500lb limit is BS and entirely speed related but apparently there may be some other limiting factors based on your set up that should be considered before considering hooking up your 22' Grady White to it....
I understand all of the physical differences, and understand the limitations when dealing with a setup designed for off road. What I thought was interesting is apples to apples (gladiator Rubicon and JLUR) there is such a large difference in the tow ratings here in the US. However, the Gladiator is much closer to the JLU tow ratings overseas.

Am I missing something to why the US tow rating is so much less than the export version? Could we do something to the US erosions to legally tow more?

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
I understand all of the physical differences, and understand the limitations when dealing with a setup designed for off road. What I thought was interesting is apples to apples (gladiator Rubicon and JLUR) there is such a large difference in the tow ratings here in the US. However, the Gladiator is much closer to the JLU tow ratings overseas.

Am I missing something to why the US tow rating is so much less than the export version? Could we do something to the US erosions to legally tow more?
See previous post:

Sponsored