Sponsored

Pulled over.

minisoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 392, Escalade, Audi SQ8, 911 Turbo S
Let me preface by saying this... my driving record is completely clean. It’s been 10+ years since I was even pulled over for speeding.

Got pulled over today. I was going 67 in a 70, but it was clear the state patrol was lined up along the highway just looking for issues. I was kind of stunned because I knew I under the speed limit.

Anyway, the state patrol officer came up... he was actually really cool, but pulled me over because my tires 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers were outside the stock fenders on my 2019 Sport. He also noted that the taillights (great looking Oracle Lighting LEDs) were too dark and not stock. They are very bright LEDs, so I’m really not sure what the issue is with them.

Although the officer was great and ended up just wanting to talk Jeep stuff, I really don’t feel like being pulled over constantly. Anyone experience this or was it just a one off incident. Are there fender extensions that I can use to get out past the tires? Appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
Luckily, we don’t have any laws in NC (that I am aware of) that prohibit such things as that. We do have a law that prohibits a frame that covers any of the lettering or stickers on your license plate

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is one of the reasons I went with the AEV wheels for JL—they have an offset where they just barely stick out and it’s not very noticeable. It looks flush with the fenders.

4.5” backspacing was popular on the JKs, but on these wider axle JL rubicons , it would sit too far out. I think the AEV wheels for JL have 6“+ backspacing to accommodate for wider axles.

OP
OP
minisoda

minisoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 392, Escalade, Audi SQ8, 911 Turbo S
Sooo annoying given how much I just spent on the wheel/tire pkg. Does anyone make an extension that comes out just a bit to provide additional coverage?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got pulled over in my red Fiat 124 Spider while doing 72 in a 70 zone. The officer was adamant I was doing 84, which I know I wasn't. Anyway he writes me up. I normally don't fight tickets but this time they really ticked me off. Got home and found an app called Off the Record: you download the app and follow the steps. https://offtherecord.com/

It asks where you got pulled over (State and County), has you take a photo of the ticket and automatically populates all the fields. You review that all the information is correct and submit.

They don't guarantee that they will remove the ticket completely, but they guarantee that they will at least have it changed to a non-moving violation so that it won't affect your record, without having to appear in court. The app then asks for $200 upfront so that they can hook you up with a lawyer near you within 24 hours. I paid the $200 and submitted.

Within 24 hours I get a text from a law firm near me saying that they would be happy to represent me. They would take it over from here. They texted me a few indications of what to expect for next steps and an overall timeframe. In my case, county office processing was taking 2 months for court appearances, so they told me not to worry about it for 2 months.

Sure enough, as the 2 months came up, I got a notification from the county that my ticket had been switched to a no-seatbelt violation and to pay $75. Good riddance. The whole thing cost me $275 and am happy to not have the speeding ticket on my driving record.

I'd recommend using Off the Record by anyone who gets pulled over for speeding...or has the cops' claiming that you were speeding...

Last edited:

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I got pulled over in my red Fiat 124 Spider while doing 72 in a 70 zone. The officer was adamant I was doing 84, which I know I wasn't. Anyway he writes me up. I normally don't fight tickets but this time they really ticked me off. Got home and found an app called Off the Record: you download the app and follow the steps. https://offtherecord.com/

It asks where you got pulled over (State and County), has you take a photo of the ticket and automatically populates all the fields. You review that all the information is correct and submit.

They don't guarantee that they will remove the ticket completely, but they guarantee that they will at least have it changed to a non-moving violation so that it won't affect your record, without having to appear in court. The app then asks for $200 upfront so that they can hook you up with a lawyer near you within 24 hours. I paid the $200 and submitted.

Sure enough, within 24 hours I got a text from a law firm near me saying that they would be happy to represent me. They would take it over from here. They texted me a few indications of what to expect for next steps and an overall timeframe. In my case, county office processing was taking 2 months for court appearances, so they told me not to worry about it for 2 months.

Sure enough, as the 2 months came up, I got a notification from the county that my ticket had been switched to a no-seatbelt violation and to pay $75. Good riddance. The whole thing cost me $275 and am happy to not have the speeding ticket on my driving record.

I'd recommend using Off the Record by anyone who gets pulled over for speeding...or has the cops' claiming that you were speeding...
Have it changed to a no seatbelt isn't any better (yes I know it's cheaper and no points).... It is just proof of a broken system.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have it changed to a no seatbelt isn't any better (yes I know it's cheaper and no points).... It is just proof of a broken system.
The system is broken, no doubt.

But I wasn't looking to fix the system, simply to save some money,

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Sounds like a big waste of time. My wifes sister is a cop. I have attended a few gatherings with her and her co-workers. I will say the perception people have of them is well earned.
How so?

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
Sounds like this cop is just a Jeep guy and took a closer look at yours than 99% of cops would. I think you just got pulled over by a bored cop who appreciate Jeeps. He wanted to let you know that your Jeep is technically not legal. If I were you, I'd wait until I got pulled over again for the same issue before worrying about fender extenders. With your clean record, the next cop (if there is one) will probably just insist that you fix your fenders.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
One good thing about NYC is the cops here don’t give a crap. I don’t blame them either, they don’t get any respect here.
This doesn’t include me. I’ve got total respect for them. Dumb people here don’t realize what it would be like without law and order.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Only way CPD write up anything like that is if you are driving like a dumbass and/or act like an a-hole, they've got way more important stuff to deal with every day than BS equipment violations.