Sponsored

Pull the trigger on a JL Wrangler or avoid them?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any Wrangler will wander all over the road when on road. High speeds and the Rubicon are worse. ...
My JLUR with aftermarket trackbar and the steering box tightened up, feels pretty tight at 70 mph.
Sponsored

Mutlkey53

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, purchased new in April 2021
Hello, I been debating on a purchasing a JL 2 door Wrangler Sport. I love how they look and like many, always wanted to own one. I get on these forums and read all the issues people have after not even 6 months of owning them and horror stories about how they ride on the highway. I'm 52 years old and my mom owned a 1988 Wrangler back in the early 90s and loved it. Is it like other vehicles and just luck of the draw for quality issues or is it really that bad on trips to the dealer for service? Also on the ride, I thought the JL was fine on the highway then see people talking about service bulletins and ripping the way their JL drives over 45mph. What's your experience and opinion on this? I'm at a loss on if I should pull the trigger and just get one or will I regret it and have issue after issue. Thanks.
They look good, but that bloody second battery and eco-stop-start has caused us nothing but grief and money since we've had the JL - 1 year old next month. Cracked windscreen took 5 months to get replaced due to time taken to import it from the USA, which shouldn't affect you. Other than that, it does what it says on the box, and we use it for road trips around NZ.

VBking

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JL
Hello, I been debating on a purchasing a JL 2 door Wrangler Sport. I love how they look and like many, always wanted to own one. I get on these forums and read all the issues people have after not even 6 months of owning them and horror stories about how they ride on the highway. I'm 52 years old and my mom owned a 1988 Wrangler back in the early 90s and loved it. Is it like other vehicles and just luck of the draw for quality issues or is it really that bad on trips to the dealer for service? Also on the ride, I thought the JL was fine on the highway then see people talking about service bulletins and ripping the way their JL drives over 45mph. What's your experience and opinion on this? I'm at a loss on if I should pull the trigger and just get one or will I regret it and have issue after issue. Thanks.
I have a 21’ JL Willys..Lowered my tire pressure to 38 PSI and happily drove 70 MPH in the right lane on a 5 hour trip..Installed bigger tires and recently drove 70 MPH on a 2 hour trip..It drives fine..my first time driving a Jeep off the lot was weird..I then realized I needed to deflate the tires a little..they were at 42psi, and made my newbie experience weird driving over 45mph with both hands on the steering wheel🤣

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
I have a 21’ JL Willys..Lowered my tire pressure to 38 PSI and happily drove 70 MPH in the right lane on a 5 hour trip..Installed bigger tires and recently drove 70 MPH on a 2 hour trip..It drives fine..my first time driving a Jeep off the lot was weird..I then realized I needed to deflate the tires a little..they were at 42psi, and made my newbie experience weird driving over 45mph with both hands on the steering wheel🤣
I can't advocate for a chalk test enough. PO had put on Rubicon rubber at 42 psi too. Chalk test brought it down to 28psi and she's got perfect footprint on the road. Wearing down evenly and I saved my eyeteeth. Win-win!

PS: I just screen printed a layer of baking soda down and rolled the JL over it. Kept deflating till reached perfect contact. Washes right off.

buckets4eyes

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU
I had this same experience on my new 21'! When I brought it down to 38 psi (label on the door frame) I was sooo happy that I did. Not sure why the dealer inflated to 42 TBH. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"

If you buy it new from a dealer with a good service dept, then any issues should be taken care of under warranty. And I think that applies to any new vehicle these days. Wranglers. Check out the Jeep dealers in your area to find out which one has the reputation for taking care of service issues and go with them.

I did exactly that and I've been very pleased with the Jeeps I've purchased there over the past five years.

As for the JL's road manners, I'm sure you'll find that it's much improved over the '88 you owned back when.

Sounds like you know you want a new Wrangler. Don't let doubts rob you of what you desire.

tinymay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'82 Scrambler and 2020 Wrangler JL
Like many other Jeepers, you will know when you drive one if you are hooked or not. I got caught in 1976! Yep, old CJ7 had me and as stated, upgrades were necessary... Not because it had to have anything repaired but because "I" wanted to tinker and make it my kind of better.

Every new model hardware change warranted upgrades. You must make your 304 into a 360 when the opportunity presents itself. Same goes with swapping YJ soft spring for the hard skinny ones. Of course, reversing shackles back then got a much better ride. Then the coil springs were the rage. Nowadays, the suspension geometry has improved the ride sooo much, my little 2 inch lift with longer lower arms is all that "i" needed to get satisfaction.

My 2020 4 door runs the 3.6/8sp for a great performance combo even tho the sound is kind of anemic for a V8 lover. So far, the 285/75r17 BFGs offer a stock ride and great fuel mileage that makes daily drives fun. No straining these new axles like the old 2-piece AMC20 days.

For the OP, your mom loved the '88 back some 30+ years ago so it's in your blood. Jeep has come a long way to the present JL and, in my opinion, has created the best ever Wrangler. You should try and let that urge live. It's talking to you.

Y'all be safe!

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
The JLURD I have ordered will be my 4th one. Never had any major problems with any of them, my first was 94 Wrangler with the little 4 banger, loud, rough riding, no power on hills but it was great off road. the ride and actual quiet of the newer ones was a pleasure. Will I have a problem with this new one? Who knows but so far I am a Wrangler fan👍🏻

Congratulations👍🏻

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I purchased my first Jeep yesterday, after talking about it for 30 plus years :LOL::clap: Thanks for the replies to my original post here, appreciate it.
PXL_20220409_161703214.jpg

Congrats and a really nice looking rig!

*Welcome to the real Jeep (2-door) club:LOL:

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I purchased my first Jeep yesterday, after talking about it for 30 plus years :LOL::clap: Thanks for the replies to my original post here, appreciate it.
Lance,

Welcome to the Jeeping Community. Very nice selection. The 2 doors rock.

Now that you've pulled the trigger, have you saved a budget for any mods? While these things are incredibly awesome bone stock, they're even much better when you've personalized it to your liking.

Even if it's an angry grill or one of those low-rider contortions, make it unique to you.

Nice job. Again, welcome to the club.

Jay

OP
OP
ChargingBuffalo
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Lance,

Welcome to the Jeeping Community. Very nice selection. The 2 doors rock.

Now that you've pulled the trigger, have you saved a budget for any mods? While these things are incredibly awesome bone stock, they're even much better when you've personalized it to your liking.

Even if it's an angry grill or one of those low-rider contortions, make it unique to you.

Nice job. Again, welcome to the club.

Jay
Thank you sir, well only done a few small things like grab handles and just ordered a tire cover. I don't have too much to work with right now but happy to finally have one.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Our 2019 2-Door Sport S has been great. Bought it new, have never had a problem with it on the highway. Ours is the 3.6 with 8 Speed Automatic. Before we bought it I drove a stock Sport, and would have been happy with that but the window crank on the driver side hit me right in the left knee when the window was rolled up, and I knew that would drive me batty over a long period of time. So we went with the Sport S, no window cranks.

Best,
-Tim

PS: Congrats, I just saw you posted that you bought the Jeep. That's a beautiful color. Is that a Sport or a Sport S? It's got the Sport S wheels that came on our 2019, but maybe those are coming on the Sport these days.
Sponsored