Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Seeing a LOT of numbers being thrown around on PSI just curious as to how you arrived at those numbers.

I ran 16 psi on my daily driver with BFG KM2s, 37 x 12:50 x 17. How did I arrive at that?

Contact Patch. The Contact Patch is weight dependent. The heavier the load the more you need to increase the psi and this is to obtain the correct contact patch.

This is 16 psi, daily driver, note the 2 front tires, that is a full contact patch. Not to much psi or you end up running high center, to low and you get side roll and scrub on the outer edges...both of those lead to premature wear.

PSI/weight is determined by the CONTACT PATCH.

So what the PSI found on the decal of your vehicle somewhere, often in the door jam or glove box. For my JLR it says 37. How did Jeep arrive at this number? Weight of Jeep based upon having a full contact patch for that OEM tire. Change tires and sizes it needed to be adjusted to the new contact patch. MY 35 x 12:50 x 17 GY Duratracs are at 30 psi.

That said, its YOUR Jeep, your tires and you can run any PSI you want!

Below:

This is 16 psi, daily driver, note the 2 front tires, that is a full contact patch. Not to much psi or you end up running high center, to low and you get side roll and scrub on the outer edges...both of those lead to premature wear.

When in Moab I run 3-5 lbs psi. The tires do not bulge...WHY? They were designed NOT to do so. This is because they are off-road tires for the rocks. So what happens when they drop to 3-5 psi? The contact patch increases in LENGTH, its now longer by about 20% +/-, the width is not wider.

Jeep Wrangler JL Psi reccomend on mud 35" mud terrain for daily driving 09072008004

All commercial tires have a chart like Below. What it tells you is PSI to weight, to obtain the full contact patch. Circled in Green are the tires I run on my truck which is a dually.

How we do it? We CAT Scale the truck and its load. Then refer to the chart for the amount of weight on the tires: Front axle, Drive Axle, Trailer Axle and adjust the psi to the Chart weight and it gives us the full contact patch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Psi reccomend on mud 35" mud terrain for daily driving continental-data-guide-data (dragged) 2
Sponsored