Sponsored

PSC Hydro Assist installation instructions for 3.6L ??

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
That's a frequently asked questions page... Can you be more specific?
1st paragraph has a link. That said, I don't know shit about hydro assist kits. Maybe their link is all wet.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Any idea if/when PSC will release a kit for the 3.0 diesel?

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have the instructions for 3.6L in PDF if you need it, it took Northridge a month to get them from PSC after repeatedly asking for them. Northridge was awesome at being persistent. The instructions are around 10Mb and apparently to big to upload here.

It is for the older PS cooler though. You can use the 2.0 instructions to get an idea how to mount the new round cooler. They do have the ram mount, bleeding and other instructions separately on their website. Honestly does not look that hard to do after seeing a couple video's, just tedious. It's job I still need to get done on mine.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Hey fellas... I recently ordered the PSC Hydro Assist Big Bore, it did not come with
instructions.. I emailed PSC but no answer..

I went to PSC online website .. there are installation instructions for the 2.0L engine
but nothing for the 3.6L ...

I know.. there are videos online... but they are older videos missing steps... no torque info.. also.. my kit
has a different type of radiator.. a cylinder type instead of the square one that mounts
in front of a radiator..

I wonder if any of you have either a hardcopy of the installation instructions.. or even a PDF.. Thanks!
How did the install go? I received the kit today and will start on it this Wednesday. Tips?
Did you get the PDF from Dan? I just PM'd him for it. Pics would be cool. 😁 Thanks.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
CaJLMetalHead

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
How did the install go? I received the kit today and will start on it this Wednesday. Tips?
Did you get the PDF from Dan? I just PM'd him for it. Pics would be cool. 😁 Thanks.
Hey!!

Sure!.. I will send you photos of the installation... videos, and tips also... just give me a couple of days.. :)

OP
OP
CaJLMetalHead

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Include me please:beer:
Hey!!

Sure!.. I will send you photos of the installation... videos, and tips also... just give me a couple of days.. :)
Hey!

This is the kit I installed on my 2018 JL 3.6L Unlimited Auto

PSC Cylinder Assist™ Steering Kit for 18-2023 Jeep JL/ 3.6L w/ Front Axle 6.75" Lock-to-Lock and 1-1/2" Tie Rod Clamp

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/cata...o-lock-and-1-1-2-tie-rod-clamp/category/2767/

I was curious about the installation guides (since there were none published for 2018-2021 JL 3.6L NON-Etorque when I installed mine earlier this year) ... so I went to their website, and Lo and Behold!! the mythical installation guide was finally produced by PSCMOTORS in August 2022 !! It only took them like 4 years to produce the guide!! LOL.. here is the link

https://www.flipsnack.com/runpsc/pk36jp2-install-guide-u3avi99zhm.html

The installation guide for the Cylinder Assist for the stock axle and stock tie rod is here (this guide is good enough for the installation of the cylinder assist... I will add tips later )
https://www.flipsnack.com/runpsc/ig-cak689r-oe.html

There is no installation guide of the Cylinder Assist for aftermarket Axles / Tie Rod.. But this video from BleepinJeep is excellent for assisting in how to design and install the kit on aftermarket Axles/tie rods ... in my case although I have stock axles and tie rod I went with the aftermarket version after watching the video..

How to Add Hydro Assist to a Jeep Wrangler JLU - YouTube

I agree with BleepinJeep that in the PSC Stock axle/tie rod OEM kit the cylinder seats too low and more prone to getting hit with rocks.. so I built my own brackets and such following his advice, the video shows a comparison between going PSC OE Kit vs DIY brackets ... also, going this route has an issue; the Tie Rod Clamp won't fit.. as the stock tie rod is 40mm in diameter and the clamp I choose is 1.5 inches (PSC does not sell metric clamps).. so I had to grind the inner walls of the clamp to make it fit.. also.. the reason I went this route is that I would like to get bigger axles and tie rod.. so buying a PSC OE kit did not make that much sense..

My plan is to take the Steering Kit installation guide and convert it to an editable doc and update it with tips and also to correct mistakes (one I saw is that it says that you need to remove the grill.. which is no longer necessary as the new kit comes with a cylindrical radiator that gets installed under the JL radiator and behind the sway bar, the older kit had a flat radiator that needed to be installed in front of the engine coolant radiator and that is why you needed to remove the grill)

I will keep you posted.. unfortunately, I tested COVID positive yesterday and it is kicking my ass at the moment.. so please be patient with me LOL

Also, let me know which JL models / axle - tie rods you have and which PSC kit you bought

I see that PSC has new kits that seem to use the stock EHPS (Electro Hydraulic Power Steer) ?? I guess it uses the stock electric pump instead of replacing it with the belt operated one... but it seems it is only for these models.. 2.0 E-Torque, 3.6 E-Torque, 3.0 Diesel, 2.0 4XE .. interesting.. and the kit is a lot cheaper too

PSC Cylinder Assist™ Steering EHPS Steering Kit for 18-2023 Jeep JL/JT w/ Factory Axle and Tierod (pscmotorsports.com)

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Hey!

This is the kit I installed on my 2018 JL 3.6L Unlimited Auto

PSC Cylinder Assist™ Steering Kit for 18-2023 Jeep JL/ 3.6L w/ Front Axle 6.75" Lock-to-Lock and 1-1/2" Tie Rod Clamp

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/cata...o-lock-and-1-1-2-tie-rod-clamp/category/2767/

I was curious about the installation guides (since there were none published for 2018-2021 JL 3.6L NON-Etorque when I installed mine earlier this year) ... so I went to their website, and Lo and Behold!! the mythical installation guide was finally produced by PSCMOTORS in August 2022 !! It only took them like 4 years to produce the guide!! LOL.. here is the link

https://www.flipsnack.com/runpsc/pk36jp2-install-guide-u3avi99zhm.html

The installation guide for the Cylinder Assist for the stock axle and stock tie rod is here (this guide is good enough for the installation of the cylinder assist... I will add tips later )
https://www.flipsnack.com/runpsc/ig-cak689r-oe.html

There is no installation guide of the Cylinder Assist for aftermarket Axles / Tie Rod.. But this video from BleepinJeep is excellent for assisting in how to design and install the kit on aftermarket Axles/tie rods ... in my case although I have stock axles and tie rod I went with the aftermarket version after watching the video..

How to Add Hydro Assist to a Jeep Wrangler JLU - YouTube

I agree with BleepinJeep that in the PSC Stock axle/tie rod OEM kit the cylinder seats too low and more prone to getting hit with rocks.. so I built my own brackets and such following his advice, the video shows a comparison between going PSC OE Kit vs DIY brackets ... also, going this route has an issue; the Tie Rod Clamp won't fit.. as the stock tie rod is 40mm in diameter and the clamp I choose is 1.5 inches (PSC does not sell metric clamps).. so I had to grind the inner walls of the clamp to make it fit.. also.. the reason I went this route is that I would like to get bigger axles and tie rod.. so buying a PSC OE kit did not make that much sense..

My plan is to take the Steering Kit installation guide and convert it to an editable doc and update it with tips and also to correct mistakes (one I saw is that it says that you need to remove the grill.. which is no longer necessary as the new kit comes with a cylindrical radiator that gets installed under the JL radiator and behind the sway bar, the older kit had a flat radiator that needed to be installed in front of the engine coolant radiator and that is why you needed to remove the grill)

I will keep you posted.. unfortunately, I tested COVID positive yesterday and it is kicking my ass at the moment.. so please be patient with me LOL

Also, let me know which JL models / axle - tie rods you have and which PSC kit you bought

I see that PSC has new kits that seem to use the stock EHPS (Electro Hydraulic Power Steer) ?? I guess it uses the stock electric pump instead of replacing it with the belt operated one... but it seems it is only for these models.. 2.0 E-Torque, 3.6 E-Torque, 3.0 Diesel, 2.0 4XE .. interesting.. and the kit is a lot cheaper too

PSC Cylinder Assist™ Steering EHPS Steering Kit for 18-2023 Jeep JL/JT w/ Factory Axle and Tierod (pscmotorsports.com)
Thanks for the info.
I think I have enough to get it done.

I hope you feel better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaJLMetalHead

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
OP
OP
CaJLMetalHead

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got some done today.

I had to cut one of the lines. It had too many bends in it. LOL.
Nice.. do you have a pair of extra hands? .. releasing the tension of the belt is hard to do by yourself... also, installing the steering box by yourself would be painful, I guess you could use a pulley or something like that..

Are you also installing a Cylinder Assist ?

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Nice.. do you have a pair of extra hands? .. releasing the tension of the belt is hard to do by yourself... also, installing the steering box by yourself would be painful, I guess you could use a pulley or something like that..

Are you also installing a Cylinder Assist ?
Yep.
PSC Cylinder Assist™ Steering Kit for 18-2023 Jeep JL/ 3.6L w/ Front Axle 6.75" Lock-to-Lock and 2.0" Tie Rod Clamp. PSC-SK689R36JP2-6.75W-2.0

No extra, just my two hands. LOL
Sponsored