Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
just got mine back from being installed. Drove it home and checked to fluid and it was empty. Added a bit drove it around added a bit more. Now pretty stable but at slow speed lots of effort to turn the wheel. Guessing there is still air in the system.

Question- how full should the FULL point be?
look up the bleeding instructions and go step by step.

brett
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you've run it dry you might have damaged the pump. It is not made to run dry.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Didnt add much to it but the fill bowl was empty. It the whole thing supposed to be full. Right now I just have it half full
The fill reservoir isn't where the pump pulls fluid from. It can be bone dry and still be fine pending the pump reservoir is completely full. Mine stays really low in the fill reservoir or it pushes fluid out the pressure valve.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The fill reservoir isn't where the pump pulls fluid from. It can be bone dry and still be fine pending the pump reservoir is completely full. Mine stays really low in the fill reservoir or it pushes fluid out the pressure valve.
Good info thanks.

Question. At slow speed (like crawling to just slow speed) is your steering sluggish at all? If I turn my wheel slow steering is fine, but if I turn the wheel fast it is very hard to turn.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Good info thanks.

Question. At slow speed (like crawling to just slow speed) is your steering sluggish at all? If I turn my wheel slow steering is fine, but if I turn the wheel fast it is very hard to turn.
Something is not right. I have the SK500 so no ram assist but mine I could turn literally with my pinky finger. It is the one thing I don't like about he PSC kit is it is too easy and light.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Good info thanks.

Exactly how mine is.

I believe the pulley size has to work in a window. Too many rpm's and the pump will burn up. So you get a pulley size designed around max rpm's which leads to sluggish steering down low.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Most likely the pressure the pump has to produce at low rpms is not able to push the ram as fast as you can turn the wheel, also make sure there is no kinks in the lines that could reduce pressure. Any air in the system could cause this as well.

Dont have the ram installed on mine so cannot say what is normal

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Exactly how mine is.

I believe the pulley size has to work in a window. Too many rpm's and the pump will burn up. So you get a pulley size designed around max rpm's which leads to sluggish steering down low.
hmmm. IF that is normal I dont like it, very annoying. On the other hand driving it normal on the road is absolutely stunning.

WHen I first drove it from the shop I hated it, downright scary. Turning it seemed to overcompensate or over exaggerate my input. I quickly got used to it and went from hate to absolute joy on the road.

WE all know jeep has steering issues, I felt mine wasnt all that bad or maybe I'm used to goofy steering on all my jeeps. I'm just not picky. With this steering (at least so far) steering is stellar on road.

But again that slow speed steering with quick inputs just sucks. Does it have anything to do with the full hydro? or just the pulley size on the pump?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Something is not right. I have the SK500 so no ram assist but mine I could turn literally with my pinky finger. It is the one thing I don't like about he PSC kit is it is too easy and light.
Talking slow speed with fast inputs(quick turning). Turning it slow at slow speed mine is fine.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Talking slow speed with fast inputs(quick turning). Turning it slow at slow speed mine is fine.
It really makes you think about the trails you're going to do. I chickened out on Black Bear Pass because of the steering.

Kelvin told me they were working on a clutch style pulley that would give you brilliant steering all the way around.

I'm waiting for it. Although I don't know time frame to get it.

The next solution is to run one of Scott Trimarco's pumps with a smaller pulley because it will live at the higher RPM's. So far it only bolts on to GM motors and I haven't found the motivation to make it work for him.

Trimarco.jpg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Exactly how mine is.

I called PSC and apparently this is normal with hydro. If I took the hydro out of the picture it wouldnt be an issue. I might do so. IMO 37's doenst require hydro assist anyway. It's borderline though.

They really need to fix this or at least tell the customer up front.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It really makes you think about the trails you're going to do. I chickened out on Black Bear Pass because of the steering.
I'll find out. I'll do a few trails before making up my mind about ditching the hydro. I would however take it on black bear and not worry. VERY sure I wont be going fast on that trail. lol It's a pretty easy trail, but not paying attention will have you paying the price. lol
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.