Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Actually the OEM alloys have counterbores (or really just cast recesses) where the OEM studs will still clear even if not trimmed. But for other wheels, all bets are off.

I'm not sure why everyone is blaming the spacers here? The issue looks to be poor metallurgy on the studs themselves?

If you put the same studs on the factory WMS you'd be at risk of similar results I'd think....but I'll stop making sense now
Yeah, the studs were advertised and marked Class 12.9, but I'm thinking they cheaped out.

I installed the spacers myself and torqued to spec. I can't speak for the shop that mounted/balanced my tires afterwards, but it's a shop I trust and haven't had issues with them before. And none of the other wheels felt over- or under-torqued when taking them off to throw these things in the garbage.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm still running "RockTrix" spacers from Amazon on both my JL and my daily beater '07 F150.....

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've ran spacers on our Infiniti G without issues, but reputable brand only! Thanks for posting this thread OP, very scary scenario for sure, should be a highlight thread. What compounds the problem is the extra lug nut torque req'd and very heavy wheel/tire combos.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
The more i look at these photos the more i am convinced it was improper installation and not material quality. The quality of the studs most likely caused the failure faster but it was going to fail regardless I am one that is in favor of always not using wheel spacers when possible but when you do high quality brands.

But looking at the intact studs you can see a clear discoloration difference at about the 7th thread up from the surface of the spacer and the 3 broken studs all broke at the 7th tread. Also the surfaces of the axle studs look worn down on the tips. Pretty sure the wheels were just pressed against the axle studs and were just flopping around.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up these wheel spacers based on price while thinking "Hey, T6 Aluminum is T6 Aluminum. And how can they screw up pressing a lug bolt into a block of aluminum?"

Well... I was wrong. While driving home today, I noticed a vibration while turning left. A pretty strong one. I was close to home, so I slowed down and limped home. Did a quick look-around at the Jeep and found 3 LUGS had sheered off on the rear passenger side!!!

IMG_20200611_165029.jpg
IMG_20200611_165609.jpg
Oh wow. I trust Teraflex with components like that. I have been off roading hard and they are great. Glad nothing happened.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Oh wow. I trust Teraflex with components like that. I have been off roading hard and they are great. Glad nothing happened.
They definitely weren't Teraflex. Sorry if I made it sound like they were. They advertised as "T6 aluminum" usually meaning a heat treated grade of aluminum. It was a cheap brand "Richeer" which was less than half of name brands like Spidertrax, Synergy, or Rough Country. I guess they're right - buy once, cry once.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
They definitely weren't Teraflex. Sorry if I made it sound like they were. They advertised as "T6 aluminum" usually meaning a heat treated grade of aluminum. It was a cheap brand "Richeer" which was less than half of name brands like Spidertrax, Synergy, or Rough Country. I guess they're right - buy once, cry once.
no worries i wasn’t thinking you meant teraflex. I was just saying that i trust teraflex with wheel spacers. You should grab some :)

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Don't let cheap China junk scare you from wheel spacers. Many US companies Including my favorite spidertrax have been successfully running these for decades without issue. You get what you pay for.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Don't let cheap China junk scare you from wheel spacers. Many US companies Including my favorite spidertrax have been successfully running these for decades without issue. You get what you pay for.
I wonder where the wheel studs come from, even on the "reputable" brands?

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
That sucks, glad you caught it before it got ugly, though!

Wheel spacers in general are nothing to worry about as long as they are made well and hub centric.

I only use Bora spacers and have put them on many cars with zero issues.

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Actually the OEM alloys have counterbores (or really just cast recesses) where the OEM studs will still clear even if not trimmed. But for other wheels, all bets are off.

I'm not sure why everyone is blaming the spacers here? The issue looks to be poor metallurgy on the studs themselves?

If you put the same studs on the factory WMS you'd be at risk of similar results I'd think....but I'll stop making sense now
Totally agree. Most people here don't know Litebrite wheeled the shit out of that little red Jeep for about a year with ZERO issue.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Bolt pattern is identical. Its the actual nut size is different.
I should of been more clear, I was referencing to "I am guessing folks run this to prevent rubbing of the tire and wheel well?" when I said that's why I run spacers.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Bought some teraflex 1.75" for my JL with stock wheels. Are those a good brand?

Screenshot_20200615-211137.jpg
Sponsored