Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
looks like my passenger seat has a small dent from sitting on it with jeans now too lol. this is at 5000~ miles incase anyone is wondering. Do the seat covers mess with the heated seats at all?

Jeep Wrangler JL PSA: DO NOT BUY JEEP LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS 20230118_144948
Sponsored

Marijan Jeep2

First Name
Marijan(Mj)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 aRubicon Diesel 3.0
I've been a Jeep owner for 8 years now. I have a Jeep 2015 Sahara and have recently bought a 2022 Rubicon. Although practically everything about the JL is better than the JK, it is lacking heavily in one department - the seats. Not only are the JL seats way less comfortable than the JK's seats, the quality of the leather and fitment is absolutely terrible. let's not forget the leather trimmed seats are a 2 THOUSAND DOLLAR OPTION. I've taken my Jeep to the dealership three times to get them to fix the seats and they have failed each time. I have less than 5k miles on it and the issue has been there since day one. My JK with over 70 thousand miles has nicer leather seats than these. There's even a ripple on the passenger seat which is obviously used way less. Had I known how bad the quality of these seats are I would Have gotten the cloth ones and maybe went aftermarket if I really wanted the leather. Although this isn't a huge flaw with the vehicle, this Jeep was extremely expensive and the lack of service and initiative to solve the issue despite three attempts is unacceptable.

Save yourself the trouble and avoid the leather seats. They aren't even comfortable, the leather quality is poor, and the fitment is inconsistent.

Jeep Wrangler JL PSA: DO NOT BUY JEEP LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS 20230118_144948

Had both, cloth in 2018JLSportS, Cloth was great comfort but it fades if roofs off like me(always). Leather is way nicer in my 2021 Rubicon Diesel. Yea there’s a bubble but I don’t look at it and seats feel more comfortable than when new( leather breaks in they say) black seats, look great, easy to wipe after spills, way cooler, no stain marks like cloth. Overall good value cuz I’m leasing 4 yrs so they cost me a G. Then I will look forward to my 3rd Jeep with new seats. That 3k upgrade is a down payment on a new one. I do 35k/ kms a year so I’m not in it for the long haul of 15 years to get ROI on $3,000 seats. Has anyone here actually taken a JL over 130,000 kms? JL vs JK is not the question, it’s what do you want to drive

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I've been a Jeep owner for 8 years now. I have a Jeep 2015 Sahara and have recently bought a 2022 Rubicon. Although practically everything about the JL is better than the JK, it is lacking heavily in one department - the seats. Not only are the JL seats way less comfortable than the JK's seats, the quality of the leather and fitment is absolutely terrible. let's not forget the leather trimmed seats are a 2 THOUSAND DOLLAR OPTION. I've taken my Jeep to the dealership three times to get them to fix the seats and they have failed each time. I have less than 5k miles on it and the issue has been there since day one. My JK with over 70 thousand miles has nicer leather seats than these. There's even a ripple on the passenger seat which is obviously used way less. Had I known how bad the quality of these seats are I would Have gotten the cloth ones and maybe went aftermarket if I really wanted the leather. Although this isn't a huge flaw with the vehicle, this Jeep was extremely expensive and the lack of service and initiative to solve the issue despite three attempts is unacceptable.

Save yourself the trouble and avoid the leather seats. They aren't even comfortable, the leather quality is poor, and the fitment is inconsistent.

I agree the seats are horrible. Most uncomfortable vehicle I’ve owned.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Actually, in regards to comfort and support, I feel that the seats in the Rubicon are some of the best I've had in any vehicle.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Had both, cloth in 2018JLSportS, Cloth was great comfort but it fades if roofs off like me(always). Leather is way nicer in my 2021 Rubicon Diesel. Yea there’s a bubble but I don’t look at it and seats feel more comfortable than when new( leather breaks in they say) black seats, look great, easy to wipe after spills, way cooler, no stain marks like cloth. Overall good value cuz I’m leasing 4 yrs so they cost me a G. Then I will look forward to my 3rd Jeep with new seats. That 3k upgrade is a down payment on a new one. I do 35k/ kms a year so I’m not in it for the long haul of 15 years to get ROI on $3,000 seats. Has anyone here actually taken a JL over 130,000 kms? JL vs JK is not the question, it’s what do you want to drive
we Have 79,000 miles (127,000 Kms) on our 2018 JLUR. Still consider it new. Many long trips pulling tear drop trailer to places where we wheel it. Only issues we have had with it are the Batteries. The leather seats look fantastic. Soft top that is down often, and we do run a spiderweb shade.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Love my cloth seats. Comfy. Warm. Hold you in place nicely. Have been aging really well.
Don't know, hate leather so got cloth and immediately covered them with Bartact covers. I love the Bartact covers, wife hates them, too scratchy. She immediately covered her Bartact with a Walmart cover. Looks like hell but it's soft. Dog loves both seats, removed rear seat.

I dont know whats more absurd. That the leather seats in a $75k jeep have issues or that a jeep cost $75k. Kind of a chicken and the egg.
Don't get the leather or crappy metal bumpers. My JLR with tow package and cloth seats was $41K.

Order leather in a jeep wrangler you deserve what you get. Leather is for your couch, Not for your off-road vehicle with a removable top. Duh.!
LOL, not for my couch. But I do like my leather baseball gloves for carpentry, climbing, recovery.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I think gravity is the main culprit here.

Reactions: J0E

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

we Have 79,000 miles (127,000 Kms) on our 2018 JLUR. Still consider it new. Many long trips pulling tear drop trailer to places where we wheel it. Only issues we have had with it are the Batteries. The leather seats look fantastic. Soft top that is down often, and we do run a spiderweb shade.
Hate changing the subject here but I think we wore out this whole seat material thing. One thing I think every JL owner can agree on, we can contend and put up with crappy seats, but when it comes to a battery system that fails and there's nothing, and no one can do to restart the dead batteries, ( in my experience not I nor the tow truck nor the dealer wants it arrived at the dealership, could jump start the dead battery. I asked the service writer what should I do in the event I'm off on the beaten path camping, wheeling during one of my Overland expeditions and my battery suddenly dies without warning. His answer was simply there's nothing you can do you would need to replace the dead battery whether that be the small auxiliary battery or the main battery. "As you see there's nothing we were able to do here after unloading your vehicle from the flatbed tow truck we had to push your vehicle back to the bay to replace the dead battery".
Thanks alot FCA! I'm sure the engineers would figure something out very quickly if one of the CEOs was caught in this scenario with his family or a family member.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, in regards to comfort and support, I feel that the seats in the Rubicon are some of the best I've had in any vehicle.
Agree; I have had seats in other vehicles that can make your legs tingle or go to sleep due to the pressure applied against the underside of your legs. The JL seats have not done that to me despite driving non-stop from North Carolina to Colorado and multiple times from Houston to CO/WY/MT.

All leather and/or vinyl has a degree of pliability to it and it is going to form to the body shape and weight so there will inevitably be "dents" and "pockets", but with regular use of leather conditioner, it is less of an issue (at least from my perspective).

Marijan Jeep2

First Name
Marijan(Mj)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 aRubicon Diesel 3.0
Well said and I also used a webshade($20) but didn’t have a soft top so now I’m super excited to try it on the Rubi. You did well 127km, I had electrical issues unfortunately at 80k kms then overheated the Penstar at 115,000 kms properly serviced which I purchased from my lease.At that point I learned I need a vehicle to work (no downtime) so I’m doing 100k kms all under warranty and Then rolling into a new one. This works for me & I get to change it up (electric version may be next) I also write off the milage so ROI/FUN is optimal. Love Wranglers, will be driving it til I’m 80, I hope. Tip, don’t drive fast thru big water pot holes on a beach…unless you extend the “breather hose” in rear diff. (Manual says 5 km speed max.)Live n learn, thank God for the warranty FCA 0 - me 1 the dealer was good at disguising the water damage to the bearings (saved $3k) but Im…
Still funding project JEEP…so please stop whining about tiny details on this forum, you can always buy a Toyota and conform like most do.lol😄

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You bet, I also drive my work JKU 2013 I now have 217k, miles on it (349k KMS). Fuel and maintenance is on the company but I still do the oil changes and general wrenching myself (it is my Jeep). We love our jeeps and as far as mechanical problems they have been far better to me than all the other f 250s, F 150s, Silverado's, multiple Chevy vans and service trucks. They are the last vehicles I will own. I wont make it to 80 yrs but will be in my Jeep whenever it all ends for me. Might be Imogen pass, Black Bear or some of the unnamed trails in the San Juan's :LOL:

You made a great point about beach running and hitting water holes. We stay as far away from salt water as possible at the beach. Salt water is a no no to us. We go to the National sea shore and Padre Isl allot and avoid the salt water with the jeep at all costs. I feel sorry for the folks I see running through the surf with their rides,,,,very bad practice. Salt water gets into the frame and cannot get back out.

Live long and prosper Marijan Jeep2

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Agree; I have had seats in other vehicles that can make your legs tingle or go to sleep due to the pressure applied against the underside of your legs. The JL seats have not done that to me despite driving non-stop from North Carolina to Colorado and multiple times from Houston to CO/WY/MT.

All leather and/or vinyl has a degree of pliability to it and it is going to form to the body shape and weight so there will inevitably be "dents" and "pockets", but with regular use of leather conditioner, it is less of an issue (at least from my perspective).
What I'm most concerned about is gouging the seat leather with some of the equipment I carry. So the Bartact covers work for me. Waterproof and breathable.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
What I'm most concerned about is gouging the seat leather with some of the equipment I carry. So the Bartact covers work for me. Waterproof and breathable.
Yeah, I hear you. I have a 3" scratch in my rear seats from a partially feral cat that climbed in while I was working on it.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate changing the subject here but I think we wore out this whole seat material thing. One thing I think every JL owner can agree on, we can contend and put up with crappy seats, but when it comes to a battery system that fails and there's nothing, and no one can do to restart the dead batteries, ( in my experience not I nor the tow truck nor the dealer wants it arrived at the dealership, could jump start the dead battery. I asked the service writer what should I do in the event I'm off on the beaten path camping, wheeling during one of my Overland expeditions and my battery suddenly dies without warning. His answer was simply there's nothing you can do you would need to replace the dead battery whether that be the small auxiliary battery or the main battery. "As you see there's nothing we were able to do here after unloading your vehicle from the flatbed tow truck we had to push your vehicle back to the bay to replace the dead battery".
Thanks alot FCA! I'm sure the engineers would figure something out very quickly if one of the CEOs was caught in this scenario with his family or a family member.
Its highly frustrating when it happens. When or if you get in that spot again first disconnect the lead to the Aux battery, then attach jumpers to a good jump start battery such as a Antigravity HD. or if lucky enough to be near another vehicle attach to it. That should get it to kick over. If it still wont then disconnect the main battery as well and jump direct to your cable, then reattach after running.
I was stranded myself for a few hours until out of desperation I did the above procedure and it worked for me. When changing the aux (or bypassing it) it is a good idea to change the main out. The bad aux battery will damage the main.
The new e torque 6 pentastar does not have the aux battery ( so I'm told ) and that should help with this situation. All the electronics murder batteries.
Not sure I would put long term trust in an E vehicle, especially off roading. But to each his own.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I hear you. I have a 3" scratch in my rear seats from a partially feral cat that climbed in while I was working on it.
I just love it when they piss on my soft top at night. smells just a bit shy of skunk. I'm a big fan of "Have a Heart live traps now. LOL
Sponsored