Sponsored

PSA: COMMON SCAM ALERT! Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone!

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
I have a WTB post up on here looking for a rear window for my premium soft top. User Robert65 sent me a PM telling me to email [Scam Warning - Please Report to Site Administrators] because he has a tinted rear window for sale. So, I emailed Matthew and got a response with a photo of soft top windows and a price of $200. When I told him I only send Paypal via Goods and Services, he sent me a link to a fake Paypal account (paypal.me) and said he only accepts Paypal as Gifts. RED FLAG SCAM ALERT! What an idiot. Do people actually fall for this shit? A quick google of his email address yields lots of scam results. Please consider this my PSA.

Robert65.JPG

Matthew Salazar Email.JPG
matthewsalazar376.jpg
Sponsored

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thank you for posting this PSA / warning. That user has already been banned.

Going forward, if anyone should receive any private messages with this general patttern (unsolicited PM asking you to email a random unknown email address), please report it to us using the report function in the PM. Thank you.

Etlion44

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler unlimited sport
New scammer: Redyred547

I contacted the email and they insisted on moneygram.

I reported the pm as advised. Just making this public so the scammer doesnt get anyone.

Thanks
ET

Screenshot_20200408-102745_Chrome.jpg

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

For anyone who hasn't seen this, please be aware.

Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Looks like this fits the pattern of scammers. I posted a WTB and later that day got this PM. He has zero postings on the forums and when I emailed him (didn't see this PSA before) he asked me to PayPal some odd email address. Looks like scam to me.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.03.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.06.49 AM.png

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Another bump to this thread as I just fell victim to it. I feel so stupid. Got a PM about a Tazer. None of the classic spelling errors. Sent the money via Zelle. I have reported the accounts.

Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Dammit guys, I just got scammed :mad: thankfully the bank will be able to get my money back. This is happening through Want to Buy threads. Please be careful

DAD33 > this guy PM'd me and said that Steven is selling fenders I'm looking for
[email protected] Steven Native > this guy emails me back with generic photo of mojito rubicon fender
[email protected] Jeffrey Grey > he has me send money to here because his Zelle account is locked.
[email protected] Phyllis Smith > this is his original Zelle

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Here's another user to be aware of. I posted a WTB ad for wheels and got this PM from a user who joined the day before, Ryan70:

"You can mail [email protected] he has Granite Crystal wheels JL Sport S 17 x 7.5 for sale"

I reported the PM to Admin.

Map08008

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S JLU
I just bought a bunch of suspension parts from user Bcastro. He falsely advertised the parts telling me multiple times that they were “from his sahara” and posted “sahara suspension.” And they are not they are sport reg duty suspension. So now Im screwed. When i asked him about this he never responded and blocked me from viewing his profile. Any recourse for this?

30A47483-5626-4F0A-8F90-88A27C8C11A8.png

DCC2454C-C703-424E-9CA9-9E893FEBC272.png

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Don’t buy anything from some rando who just joined the forum within the last few days and has a handful of posts. Only buy from people in the forum who 1) are not brand new. No exceptions to this. 2) Have plenty of REAL posts on the forum outside of FS or WTB posts. 3) Have posted things that indicate that they actually own a Jeep, like actual photos or DIY or build threads or questions/solutions that are real Jeep issues. Members who are actually a contributing part of the forum community.

Don’t buy from someone who approaches you to sell you something without actual photos of the item. Don’t buy anything way cheaper than market value. Don’t buy anything from someone who’s selling something for their friend or some guy they know who’s not on the forum.

I’ve bought and sold on here many times without incident following these guidelines. As a moderator and administrator of a different automotive forum I can tell you that if you do what I outlined above you are very unlikely to get scammed. If you have any doubts at all, don’t send the money.
Sponsored