OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The fob has to be within 3ish feet of the handle to be unlocked. Yes, it's a safety feature to prevent someone from sneaking in on the other side. Just like how the starter button won't work until the fob is detected within the vehicle. So someone can't hop in, start it, and drive off while you're loading groceries into the cargo area.
I think not only does the fob need to be within 3ft-ish but if it is not detected, it also seems to disable proximity entry on all the other handles for some period of time. Hence why I consider her early handle grab an act of sabotage that must be thwarted.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Grab the tailgate handle before she makes it to her door. It will unlock. Women are hard to teach new things like patience, or any other virtues. It’s easier to just work around their difficulties.
This right here. Pro tip.
Works perfectly.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So my wife is infamous for being impatient and often grabs the door handle before I do. Of course, she does not want to carry her "gigantic" key fob so there is only a fob on the driver side when she touches the passenger door handle. This seems to mess up the Proximity Keyless Entry. I can see this being a safety feature (in case someone is hiding in ambush on the other side) but I haven't quite figured out the logic to it and often find myself resorting to pushing the fob button, annoyed on multiple levels.

Has someone figured out the logic of what happens in this situation? I know I could figure it out with a couple of tests but that would require my wife patiently waiting through a couple handle touch and fob placement tests while following instructions (a laughable thought).
You could get the door for her and kill 2 birds...be a hero.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, she is impossible. A total loveable PIA. But only in silly minor things that keep me on my toes and never a major thing in 23 years. I'll keep her. I just need to add a section to her operator's manual titled "Thwarting boneheaded handle grabbing".

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

My not a Jeep proximity door locks can be programmed to unlock all the doors rather than just driver's. Might dig into the manual and see if Jeep gives you the option.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
F that. they want equality, give it to them! im sure my 5th wife will agree with me.
Where have I been? I thought when they burned their bra and wanted equality they opened their on door. Lol

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you need some training, run faster than her to the door, problem solved. Providing you are trainable. I was told by my father-in-law once that I was trainable. Really made me feel good inside, yea.....

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My not a Jeep proximity door locks can be programmed to unlock all the doors rather than just driver's. Might dig into the manual and see if Jeep gives you the option.
I have it set to unlock all doors. The problem is she often grabs the handle before I do and she doesn't carry her fob.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where have I been? I thought when they burned their bra and wanted equality they opened their on door. Lol
Oh, you're right on the money. She insists on opening her own door, waits for no one, Type-A personality where everything is a competition to be first, ...but refuses to carry a #^@%!$& key fob and locks out proximity entry!!!
It's completely ridiculous and she can't learn to stop doing it.
I might need to inject her with an RFID chip while she's sleeping.

Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Maybe I'm just old school, but if you opened the door for your wife it would take care of your problem and might also benefit you in other ways.....
I always opened the door for my wife and it paid off in ways you couldn't even imagine

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
I have a somewhat similar situation. Mine often gets to the door before I do and pulls the locked handle. She doesn’t carry her fob either. I’ve determined that this is a “her” problem and not a “me” problem. There’s nothing to be done about it. Whether I’ve started the Jeep with remote start or not, the driver door must be the handle pulled or it must be unlocked via the fob. Sometimes I unlock it with the fob before I walk out to get in so it’s open for her. Sometimes I don’t. If she’s that quick to go out, she needs to carry a fob or learn patience.
So correct me if my Australia Jeep differs from the US ones on the proximity unlock... I have a small girl who is also impatient and pulls on the handle before I get close enough to touch my door... She's pulling on the rear door for her and I open the driver door. BUT I can also touch the passenger door, or tail gate and it all unlocks, so not tied only to the driver door! I've found the proximity sensor is very accurate and won't unlock the door if my fob is slightly too far from the vehicle. I'm talking within a foot of the handle or it doesn't seem to work. I often have it in the lower pocket of work pants, and that's just a tad too far, where my front pant pockets will always work, so if in the lower pocket I have to rotate my body so that lower pocket is nearly touching the door and then it's close enough to operate the lock.

So I think your answer is you have to touch your door ASAP and THEN she has to re-pull on her handle to open says a me...

Cheers,
Capt'
Sponsored