Sponsored

Proximity locks & impatient wife

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
So my wife is infamous for being impatient and often grabs the door handle before I do. Of course, she does not want to carry her "gigantic" key fob so there is only a fob on the driver side when she touches the passenger door handle. This seems to mess up the Proximity Keyless Entry. I can see this being a safety feature (in case someone is hiding in ambush on the other side) but I haven't quite figured out the logic to it and often find myself resorting to pushing the fob button, annoyed on multiple levels.

Has someone figured out the logic of what happens in this situation? I know I could figure it out with a couple of tests but that would require my wife patiently waiting through a couple handle touch and fob placement tests while following instructions (a laughable thought).
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Every rental car I had through work that came with proximity entry has been finicky. To the point I knew when buying something for myself, I refused to get one with it. Same for radar guided cruise control...

I do like push button start, that's kinda nice to not have keys touching my knees.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm just old school, but if you opened the door for your wife it would take care of your problem and might also benefit you in other ways.....

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Maybe I'm just old school, but if you opened the door for your wife it would take care of your problem and might also benefit you in other ways.....
That is exactly what I decided to do in my case. She's happy and I'm happy.

Forces me to be a 'gentleman' but I can think of worse things to be.

Plus then I don't have to tell at her to be patient which wouldn't go well anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
LOL, that would require a hockey style hip check to get to the door before she does and if she sees me starting the move, she'll just move faster. Chivalry is awkward with this one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, that would require a hockey style hip check to get to the door before she does and if she sees me starting the move, she'll just move faster. Chivalry is awkward with this one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Hahaha, good luck then, brother :giggle:

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The problem with opening the door for your wife (I usually do, cars and buildings, and was taught to do so by my mother), is when you don't do it. Then you get called out for NOT doing it. :facepalm:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Last edited:

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
So my wife is infamous for being impatient and often grabs the door handle before I do. Of course, she does not want to carry her "gigantic" key fob so there is only a fob on the driver side when she touches the passenger door handle. This seems to mess up the Proximity Keyless Entry. I can see this being a safety feature (in case someone is hiding in ambush on the other side) but I haven't quite figured out the logic to it and often find myself resorting to pushing the fob button, annoyed on multiple levels.

Has someone figured out the logic of what happens in this situation? I know I could figure it out with a couple of tests but that would require my wife patiently waiting through a couple handle touch and fob placement tests while following instructions (a laughable thought).
Tell your wife to chill the hell out and wait..... or simply unlock it when you put your keys in your pocket?
There really is no magic trick here. It is electronics doing what they do in the times manor that they do em in.

dgardne5

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I used to grab my wife's butt and push her up into my old TJ since I didn't have steps. Maybe she'll stop giving you a hockey check if she knows you are being a perv instead of a gentlemen :CWL:

Worked for me!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

F that. they want equality, give it to them! im sure my 5th wife will agree with me.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Of course, she does not want to carry her "gigantic" key fob...
Here's another potential solution. Would she want to carry a fob with her if one were less gigantic?

I couldn't stand the large OEM fob either, and a company called Threedom just came out with an awesome new smaller alternate fob design. You take the innards out of your existing fob and place them in the new housing they made...and they have different shapes and many color/pattern options. All are considerably smaller in size and weight than the OEM monstrosity. I LOVE being able to carry a smaller and lighter weight fob...perhaps one of these might help your situation, too. The creator is a member of the forum. (I have no affiliation, just really happy with the product)

Check them out here: https://mythreedom.com/pages/standard-pageuk8ju
Sponsored