Sponsored

Proximity lock not working properly after installing 35" Spare Tire?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I know a lot of people probably won't be bothered by this, but just curious if anyone with large tires encountered the same issues?

I replaced stock tire with 35s on my spare tire carrier this weekend, and noticed that my proximity lock isn't working properly for the tailgate now.

I used to be able to walk up from any angle, with the fob in any of my pockets, and the tailgate will unlock when I reach out with my hand.
Now, it only works at specific angles, and I literally have to hold the fob out with my hands right next to the tailgate for it to work.

The proximity lock works fine on other doors, and it works well when I remove the spare tire, so the spare is doing something to the signals of the fob.
Sponsored

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 37” spare and I haven’t noticed this. I do have to act like I’m grabbing the handle but it’s the same as the other doors.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
try changing the batteries in the FOB to rule that part out?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I also have 37's and dont have a problem. FWIW i did notice that my backup sensors are affected by the spare, and when I rotate it it solves the problem. Maybe try that? Is your valve stem next to the tailgate handle? it also has a radio in it.