Sponsored

Proximity key mandatory option on Rubicons?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The X5 has such a key, but I would prefer the Jeep without. Honestly, if I could have gotten a JLUR with hand crank windows, no ESS, no touch screen, etc., that is what I would have preferred, e.g. a new 1980s Jeep with four doors - the simpler, the better. Paying less would have been icing on the cake.
I get it, but the X5 probably doesn’t have a key fob the size of an iPhone Pro Max, lol. Once I put that thing away, I don’t want to deal with it!
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It was not mandatory on my 2018, 2019 or 2020 JLUR, but all dealerships that I spoke with in the last few weeks said the system was adding it in on the 2021 with the options I selected. I am not sure what made it a requirement, but something did. (I was going to get anyways, but they all said it was auto added)

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I ordered a 2021 in November and did not have to order proximity. After I received the Jeep, I realized how much I missed having proximity and added it on my own. If I had to do it over again, I would just order it that way from the factory.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a 2021 in November and did not have to order proximity. After I received the Jeep, I realized how much I missed having proximity and added it on my own. If I had to do it over again, I would just order it that way from the factory.
Same here, after having it I did not want to go without it ever again. I just thought it was odd to not have the choice due to options I selected.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I ordered mine in March without it ....figured I was getting cold weather package with remote start so I wouldn't miss it much since you need the fob in hand to use the remote start anyway.
Sure it is nice to have, but I have not missed it and it wasn't worth the $645 to me....seems it should have been part of the cold weather package anyways not a stand alone option

makes no sense that this is happening when you can still go on Jeep.com and build a Rubicon without adding it. I would contact Jeep and have them fix this "glitch" or have them throw it in for free

Sponsored

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ordered mine in March without it ....figured I was getting cold weather package with remote start so I wouldn't miss it much since you need the fob in hand to use the remote start anyway.
Sure it is nice to have, but I have not missed it and it wasn't worth the $645 to me....seems it should have been part of the cold weather package anyways not a stand alone option

makes no sense that this is happening when you can still go on Jeep.com and build a Rubicon without adding it. I would contact Jeep and have them fix this "glitch" or have them throw it in for free
Spoke with Jeep, MOPAR, and Jeep Waves (the lattermost actually helpful) and no one was sure, but they all told me that if the dealer can’t remove it as an option, then it must be requisite. Agreed that it in theory it doesn’t make sense if they’re building it, but I’m not in the know.

FLDiver

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella JLS, 2021 Granite JLR
I ordered my 2Dr Rubicon on 5/11/21 and the proximity key was required on the online form (the All Weather Mats weren't required). I sat with the dealership owner and watched him enter everything. I' wasn't offended and am actually glad I'll have it now.

Chuck

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My 2020 Rubicon, build 6/20, purchased 7/20, has proximity. Listed on the window sticker as 'Customer Prefered Package 23R'
This is apparently just the proximity keyless and premium soft top. The only options I got.
Would I have ordered it, no. Do I love it, yes.
It will flash when I'm washing it, but aside from that it's very nice.

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Presume you have V6 MT? That’s what the JLUR 23R code means I was told and that I subsequently found on the order specs sheet within this forum.

BubbaCon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yep 2 dealers telling me the same. I asked if there was one of my options that is triggering it to be required they just both tell me it is now required.

My build:
JLUR
V6 - Auto
Steel bumpers
Black hardtop
Safety Group
Stitched Leather
LED Lighting
Trailer Tow
Integrated Off Road Camera
Cold Weather Group
8.4 Radio

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Yep 2 dealers telling me the same. I asked if there was one of my options that is triggering it to be required they just both tell me it is now required.

My build:
JLUR
V6 - Auto
Steel bumpers
Black hardtop
Safety Group
Stitched Leather
LED Lighting
Trailer Tow
Integrated Off Road Camera
Cold Weather Group
8.4 Radio
Maybe it is the safety group. I only chose the 8.4, Led Lighting, aux switch, trailer tow, and cold weather package. I always turn off the safety stuff in my other Jeeps and figured the sensors would make it a bit tougher to upgrade bumpers.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I accidently did not order proximity entry after having it on I 2019 Cherokee. Big mistake, every day I need to dig into my pocket to open the door drives me nuts. I think I ordered Keyless entry thinking it was proximity entry. Once you get used to it is it hard to go back - like not having the backup camera.

Did some say it is possible to convert to proximity entry?

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Yeah, at first it irritated me it was not optional, still does a bit, seems unnecessary especially for that price, but in the end I'll probably end up loving it.

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not order safety group and it was still required. Beats me.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I accidently did not order proximity entry after having it on I 2019 Cherokee. Big mistake, every day I need to dig into my pocket to open the door drives me nuts. I think I ordered Keyless entry thinking it was proximity entry. Once you get used to it is it hard to go back - like not having the backup camera.

Did some say it is possible to convert to proximity entry?
There is a long thread on it, just search proximity and you will find it. Cost about $400 to complete and only takes less than 2 hours to DIY.

I did not think I would need the proximity, but I drive this much more than I did my TJ before and it is nice not having to dig the giant key out every time to get the door open when your hands are full.
Sponsored