Sponsored

Proximity key mandatory option on Rubicons?

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
OP here. I garage my Jeep and keep it unlocked in my secure garage. The unlocked status eases access to the vehicle for things I need to retrieve, stow, etc... I often find myself going in/out of the Jeep's interior even though I'm not driving anywhere.

Does the proximity keyless entry now require me to specifically carry the Jeep key to access the interior even when it's safely parked in my garage? Like late in the evening when I remember that I left the mail in my Jeep and I'm wearing my (pocketless) PJs? :)

If so, that's a complication, not a simplification.
I never locked my old XJ. It usually had a Doberman in it or was in a secure garage with nothing worth stealing inside. Now that I have a much nicer JLUR and keep some tools in it for off-roading, and the dog is a lot older, I try to keep it locked but often forget (old habits). The Sirius app lets me lock it from my phone and the keyless entry makes it like I never locked it but actually did.

Like many others here, I like it. But if you don’t think you will use or need it, tell the dealer to remove it from the build or you’ll take your money somewhere else. I hope this helps your decision!
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
But if you don’t think you will use or need it, tell the dealer to remove it from the build or you’ll take your money somewhere else. I hope this helps your decision!
I'm warming to it. To clarify, proximity keyless is now an FCA requirement for all new Rubicons. The dealer has no dog in the fight. The online build it model allows you to exclude the option, but in reality, you can't.

Reactions: TMP

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
A while back (November) FCA required the LED package and 1 or 2 other packages (Proximity and Safety). Is the proximity entry the only mandatory add on right now to a Rubicon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A while back (November) FCA required the LED package and 1 or 2 other packages (Proximity and Safety). Is the proximity entry the only mandatory add on right now to a Rubicon?
No. You also have to take LEDs if you opt for the steel bumpers. You could count on one hand the number of times I've driven my Jeep after dark.

Hey Jeep: They call them "options" for a reason.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No. You also have to take LEDs if you opt for the steel bumpers. You could count on one hand the number of times I've driven my Jeep after dark.

Hey Jeep: They call them "options" for a reason.
Not anymore. Back in our day you could pick individual options but then auto makers realized they could make more money with packages.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
noprox-white-png.png

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Proximity Locks are probably the one option that would have been a deal killer for me if it WASN'T available. Don't ever want to live without it!

Last edited:

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Mandatory options seems kinda shady. This might have been mentioned already; but have you tried another dealership or a build online?

The proximity keyless entry is super convenient; you just get in and go. The only drawback is that it only works on the two front doors and the tailgate (which IMO should have the option to open away from the curb for ease of loading on a busy street). You still need to unlock the rear side doors on an Unlimited when loading dogs, kids, etc. into the back seat.

The great thing about Jeeps is that they are very customizable. You can get the options you want for how you will use it in the climate you live in, and ignore what everyone else has to say (including me LOL).
Are you sure you cant change the settings on that?

In my grand cherokee it locks and unlocks all 4 doors at the same time

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Are you sure you cant change the settings on that?

In my grand cherokee it locks and unlocks all 4 doors at the same time
To clarify:

"Keyless Enter-N-Go — Passive Entry (If Equipped)

The Passive Entry system is a feature that allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle’s door(s) and swing gate without having to push the key fob lock or unlock buttons."

However, walking up to a locked Jeep and just pulling on the door handle to unlock that door only works on the two front doors and the swing-gate (as they are the only handles with this feature).

It is interesting that when you pull open the front driver's side door handle, none of the other doors unlock. This must be a safety feature to prevent someone from getting in with you. If "1st Press of Key Fob Unlocks" is set to "All doors", then all the doors will unlock when you grab the front driver's side door handle or the swing-gate handle.

It is also worth noting that when you pull the front passenger side door handle with the fob on your person, all the doors and swing-gate will unlock regardless of the driver's door unlock setting.

I wish that I could just walk up to any of the locked the doors with the fob in my pocket and pull open to unlock just that door. I've had my JLUR for a year and a half, and I still pull on the locked backdoors expecting them to open!

Hope this helps!

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity key mandatory option on Rubicons? IMG_3600.JPG

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I routinely touch the tailgate as I approach to unlock the doors. If not, when I pull the driver door I pull to quickly and catch it before it unlock having to pull twice.

I love proximity locks and keyless start.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm warming to it. To clarify, proximity keyless is now an FCA requirement for all new Rubicons. The dealer has no dog in the fight. The online build it model allows you to exclude the option, but in reality, you can't.
Have you ordered it yet? Another few days and you'll be getting a 2021. Maybe it won't be required then.

Reactions: TMP
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Have you ordered it yet? Another few days and you'll be getting a 2021. Maybe it won't be required then.
I hadn't thought of that. Supposedly the order banks open in six weeks. Not holding my breath.

[I've had five new Borahs, for two months, in anticipation.]

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jpat and Richtor explained it well......it just gives you the option of unlocking/locking without having the key fob in hand. Normal operation otherwise.

I really like it!!

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I routinely touch the tailgate as I approach to unlock the doors. If not, when I pull the driver door I pull to quickly and catch it before it unlock having to pull twice.

I love proximity locks and keyless start.
Do you actually have to pull to unlock? On my grand Cherokee, if i have to get into the back seat, i just touch the drivers handle as i walk by it to unlock all 4. No pull, just a touch

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Do you actually have to pull to unlock? On my grand Cherokee, if i have to get into the back seat, i just touch the drivers handle as i walk by it to unlock all 4. No pull, just a touch
No, just touch. But if I grab and pull in one motion there isn't enough time for it to unlock.
Sponsored