Sponsored

Proximity key mandatory option on Rubicons?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Okay guys, you're starting to sell me. I just would have liked it to be more out-in-the-open, or better yet, made standard with a base price increase.
Agreed.

My recollection is that you have a few years on you, as do I. if you have not had a car with this feature, I am gonna make you a gentleman’s bet; within 3 months you will not know how you lived without this feature for your (lengthy) driving career. Let me know if you owe me a coffee or if I owe you one.......
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed.

My recollection is that you have a few years on you, as do I. if you have not had a car with this feature, I am gonna make you a gentleman’s bet; within 3 months you will not know how you lived without this feature for your (lengthy) driving career. Let me know if you owe me a coffee or if I owe you one.......
I've been running around in my wife's old car before we give it to my son. Back in 2007 it was a really nice car and loaded but proximity locks and push button start wasn't available on it. After having push button start and proximity locks for 10 years on my various vehicles, I can't stand not having them now.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
It's the one thing I miss on my Willys. I had it on my Mustang and my wife and daughter both have it on their cars. With a key fob as big and as ridiculous as the one we are given, Prox should be standard on all their vehicles.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the reason you might not be wanting the feature?
It's just not something that interests me. Along with tow package, painted roof/fenders, cold weather group. Ironically, even living in a hot climate, I would have taken the heated seats, but I've heard more gripes than praises for the heated wheel. But mostly I don't like to be gamed, and mandatory options feel disingenuous to me.

I definitely want the two safety package, but many do not. To each their own.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Side note, if you get one that has it, it’s easy to turn off in the control panel settings if you don’t like it.

Sponsored

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
My 2020 Rubicon does not have the proximity key. I purchased it last fall so things might have changed since then.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2019 JLUR came with the proximity key which was not an option I had considered. But having used it, I am really happy it has it. Not having to dig the key fob out to lock/unlock the Jeep is nice. Convenient and reliable.

One thing I do is check the rear door handle before I leave the Jeep so I know it Is locked and I have not unintentionally unlocked the car. The keyless entry is sensitive!

Rock on!

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
It’s not mandatory, however I would definitely recommend it.

DCerveza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20200 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Could be they have confused Remote Keyless Entry (key fob, standard for almost all vehicles) with Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Could be they have confused Remote Keyless Entry (key fob, standard for almost all vehicles) with Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.
Could be. The Proximity Keyless Entry is listed as an option on the window sticker, $495 in my case. The key fob remote is standard. :fist bump:

Sponsored

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I just ordered a Rubicon through Criswell. I noticed proximity on the build sheet, which was an option I had not asked for. I was also told it was mandatory now on rubicons orders.

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It's just not something that interests me. Along with tow package, painted roof/fenders, cold weather group. Ironically, even living in a hot climate, I would have taken the heated seats, but I've heard more gripes than praises for the heated wheel. But mostly I don't like to be gamed, and mandatory options feel disingenuous to me.

I definitely want the two safety package, but many do not. To each their own.
Mandatory options seems kinda shady. This might have been mentioned already; but have you tried another dealership or a build online?

The proximity keyless entry is super convenient; you just get in and go. The only drawback is that it only works on the two front doors and the tailgate (which IMO should have the option to open away from the curb for ease of loading on a busy street). You still need to unlock the rear side doors on an Unlimited when loading dogs, kids, etc. into the back seat.

The great thing about Jeeps is that they are very customizable. You can get the options you want for how you will use it in the climate you live in, and ignore what everyone else has to say (including me LOL).

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OP here. I garage my Jeep and keep it unlocked in my secure garage. The unlocked status eases access to the vehicle for things I need to retrieve, stow, etc... I often find myself going in/out of the Jeep's interior even though I'm not driving anywhere.

Does the proximity keyless entry now require me to specifically carry the Jeep key to access the interior even when it's safely parked in my garage? Like late in the evening when I remember that I left the mail in my Jeep and I'm wearing my (pocketless) PJs? :)

If so, that's a complication, not a simplification.

Reactions: TMP

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
OP here. I garage my Jeep and keep it unlocked in my secure garage. The unlocked status eases access to the vehicle for things I need to retrieve, stow, etc... I often find myself going in/out of the Jeep's interior even though I'm not driving anywhere.

Does the proximity keyless entry now require me to specifically carry the Jeep key to access the interior even when it's safely parked in my garage? Like late in the evening when I remember that I left the mail in my Jeep and I'm wearing my (pocketless) PJs? :)

You can still leave it unlocked like any other vehicle. All it does is allow you to unlock without having to use the fob.

I have it on my grand cherokee and i like it.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

It’s a simplification all the way around. It does not lock automatically and you can leave it unlocked any time you want. If the doors are off no problem as well.

What the one touch does provide is the ability to get into your locked door with nothing more than your key in pocket and hand on the door. Exactly like the push button start allows one to keep the key in their pocket.

On exit of the vehicle you can lock from inside, or with the key or close the door and touch the door handle. So easy, so convenient! Or leave it unlocked.

If you like push button start you’ll love one touch open!
Sponsored