Proximity key issue - takes a few pulls to unlock

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So I did quite a bit of experimenting yesterday, and I was able to get some repeatable results. What I found is similar to those posted by Richard, though not identical. However I did notice that they're similar enough that certainly indicates a software issue associated to the remote start.

Here's what I was able to replicate and repeat.
1a. Start engine via remote start.
2a. Door opens normally via proximity.
3a. Drive to destination and lock via proximity.
4a. Door requires 2 pulls to open. :surprised:
***** Here's where things differ from Richard's results.
5a. Drive to next destination and lock via proximity.
6a. Door opens normally via proximity.

So to test the fob theory I tried another way.
1b. Start engine via remote start.
2b. Door opens normally via proximity.
3b. Drive to destination and lock via fob.
4b. Door opens normally via proximity.
5b. Drive to next destination and lock via proximity.
6b. Door opens normally via proximity.

I can repeat steps 5 & 6 over and over with no issues. So while I didn't have a lasting affect like Richard had, there did appear to be a link between using the fob versus the proximity lock after remote start. One thing I didn't think to test (but I will soon) is how it acts if you lock via the interior door button, after using remote start instead of using the fob or proximity lock. This has become quite interesting. Now that I've gotten it to require a double pull (even though rarely), I can see why so many people are annoyed by it. I can't imagine having it do that all the time. It really takes away the convenience of the feature, and if you're Jeep does it regularly I'd get it look at. It should seriously be as easy as walk up and open.
Sponsored

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
4a. Door requires 2 pulls to open. :surprised:
What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that you have to put your fingers behind the handle twice? Or that it unlocks the first time you put your fingers behind the handle, but have to pull the handle twice?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Either way works.
Put my hand in the handle, pull it back out, put it back in and the door unlocked.
OR
Put my hand in the handle and pull as if opening the door (it wouldn't open because it's locked), release while keeping my hand in the handle, then pull again and it would unlock/open. This is an awkwardly long time to be hanging out with my hand in the handle without the door unlocking and certainly not the way the proximity locks are intended to work.

Both ways are unnatural, and awkward though, there is a possible "solution". It's not a fix but more of a work around to spare you from having to take the key out after using remote start.
You already have the key out to use remote start, so simply push the lock button immediately after remotely starting. Doing so would reset the system as Richard mentioned, and you don't have to take the key back out later and you won't have the awkward double pull. I haven't tested that theory yet, but if fob locking resets the fault, it should work any time. The only question though is when the fault is set into motion. Is it as soon as you press remote start, after the door is opened, or after the proximity lock is pushed. If it's as soon as remote start is used, immediately following it with fob lock should resolve the issue. I'll let you know what I find out.

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
I tried to recreate this twice today and both times it still unlocked the first time my fingers went behind the handle.

1. Remote started with the FOB, passively unlocked and then drove the jeep around, passively locked, put my fingers behind the handle and the door unlocked and opened on the first try.

2. Remote started with the phone, passively unlocked and then drove the jeep around, passively locked, put my fingers behind the handle and the door unlocked and opened on the first try.

This goes along with what I've experienced since day one. I never use the FOB to unlock or lock the jeep and I've never had any problem getting it to passively unlock the first time.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Interesting. Now we've got 3 versions of the fault.
1. Requires double pull after remote start, indefinitely until fob lock is used.
2. Requires double pull after remote start, only once.
3. No double pull required after remote start.

So to all you electrical and computer people out there. What could cause all 3 variations when using the same hardware and software? It still seems the remote start is the culprit, but why the differences between different Jeeps? I guess if we know what causes the differences, we should be able to make them all act like #3, which is obviously the desired and intended result.

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Two variables that aren't being tracked, that might explain the different results: 1) What is the firmware version ... date of build or latest firmware flash? 2) Did you drive it - maybe until the doors lock above 15 mph - before running the rest of the test?

@rlong69 ... I haven't experienced the problem (yet?), but thanks for the clear description of what you experienced.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I don't know what firmware mine has. Any way to check it?
As for my testing, each test was done with driving in between.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I don't know what firmware mine has. Any way to check it?
As for my testing, each test was done with driving in between.
I was hoping someone else would know. Build date and later "known" TSB flashes is my guess.

Killians42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
I finally figured the pattern out on mine. It works 100% flawless first touch unlock every single time with FOB in pocket no tricks no gimmicks. UNTIL you remote start it with the FOB or the Phone App. It will behave normal on approach when running and let you in first touch. You drive to your destination and turn it off. THIS is where the magic happens. If you lock it with the FOB your Jeep will behave 100% normal when you return to unlock with passive entry. IF you lock it with the passive button on the door handle it will 100% of the time require EXACTLY two grabs to unlock it. The first touch seems to wake it and the second unlocks it. This behavior will remain forever UNTIL you lock the Jeep with the FOB again. Once you lock it with the FOB it is 100% good to go and normal again.

It only seems random because we all occasionally use our FOB which returns the system to normal. Your problems may or may not be different but mine totally follow a very repeatable pattern. I suspect most people have the same issue. This is repeatable over and over. It is a software problem.

I intend to address this with the dealer soon.
Thank you for posting this work-around!! I would never use remote start because my proximity would be screwed up for a week. I tried this today and locked my Jeep with the fob and my proximity never got screwed up. Thanks again!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So did you fob lock immediately after remotely starting? I haven't gotten around to testing if it worked that way versus doing it after you drive it. If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like it worked as I had hoped.

Sponsored

Killians42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
So did you fob lock immediately after remotely starting? I haven't gotten around to testing if it worked that way versus doing it after you drive it. If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like it worked as I had hoped.
No. I drove to destination and then fob locked. When I got back to the Jeep the proximity worked immediately. It worked that way again this morning. So, you want to try remote start, but not drive anywhere? Don’t know if we would ever experience thy situation.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha, no. I want to drive somewhere after remote start. I must have explained it poorly. I mean use remote start, then fob lock it BEFORE driving.

The idea is that you already have the key in your hand to remote start the Jeep. If you immediately follow remote start with fob lock it will hopefully remedy the issue, just like it does by fob locking after driving. If my way works like I hope, you don't have to dig the key out of your pocket after you drive to your destination. It's still "resetting" the fault by using the fob to lock the doors as Richard described. You're just doing it after you press remote start, not after you drive.
I pretty much don't touch my key except to put it in my pocket, or put it away when I get home. If I have to dig the key out of my pocket to lock the door in an effort to avoid the double pull, it negates the purpose of the proximity key. If you have to take the key back out to lock the door, you might as well proximity lock and use the fob to unlock when you get back to the Jeep. Not acceptable. Once the key is in my pocket, I expect to leave it there, that's why I paid extra for the feature.

I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll test my idea then. If it works the way I hope, you're not taking the key out any more than you should have to. Take the key out to remote start (then immediately fob lock) the Jeep. Put the key away and forget about it like you should be able to do. Then you can use proximity to unlock and lock as many times as you want without having to touch the key, or the double pull. Hopefully I explained it better that time. I'll let you all know if it works.

Killians42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Ha ha, no. I want to drive somewhere after remote start. I must have explained it poorly. I mean use remote start, then fob lock it BEFORE driving.

The idea is that you already have the key in your hand to remote start the Jeep. If you immediately follow remote start with fob lock it will hopefully remedy the issue, just like it does by fob locking after driving. If my way works like I hope, you don't have to dig the key out of your pocket after you drive to your destination. It's still "resetting" the fault by using the fob to lock the doors as Richard described. You're just doing it after you press remote start, not after you drive.
I pretty much don't touch my key except to put it in my pocket, or put it away when I get home. If I have to dig the key out of my pocket to lock the door in an effort to avoid the double pull, it negates the purpose of the proximity key. If you have to take the key back out to lock the door, you might as well proximity lock and use the fob to unlock when you get back to the Jeep. Not acceptable. Once the key is in my pocket, I expect to leave it there, that's why I paid extra for the feature.

I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll test my idea then. If it works the way I hope, you're not taking the key out any more than you should have to. Take the key out to remote start (then immediately fob lock) the Jeep. Put the key away and forget about it like you should be able to do. Then you can use proximity to unlock and lock as many times as you want without having to touch the key, or the double pull. Hopefully I explained it better that time. I'll let you all know if it works.
Ok. Makes sense now. I get what you are saying. I will also try this tomorrow morning.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
It works!!!!

I tested multiple times today, and it worked every time. I had 100% repeatable success.

When using remote start, simply press the lock button immediately afterwards and the proximity locks work as they should. To put it in steps like I did in post #61

1c. Start engine via remote start.
2c. Fob lock while you've already got the key in hand. You can now put it away and forget about it.
3c. Door opens normally via proximity.
4c. Drive to destination and lock via proximity
5c. Repeat steps 3 & 4 as much as you want. It works every time. No double pull, no need to fish out the key later.

To add a disclaimer, I haven't tried any of this via the app. I don't have (or want) the app so I didn't install it for testing.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant
It works!!!!

I tested multiple times today, and it worked every time. I had 100% repeatable success.

When using remote start, simply press the lock button immediately afterwards and the proximity locks work as they should. To put it in steps like I did in post #61

1c. Start engine via remote start.
2c. Fob lock while you've already got the key in hand. You can now put it away and forget about it.
3c. Door opens normally via proximity.
4c. Drive to destination and lock via proximity
5c. Repeat steps 3 & 4 as much as you want. It works every time. No double pull, no need to fish out the key later.

To add a disclaimer, I haven't tried any of this via the app. I don't have (or want) the app so I didn't install it for testing.
I will try this next time I drive it. By the way, thanks to all who have participated in this thread! I have been really busy and kind of dropped off of it.
Sponsored